• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

"CampFussell"Well finally after all this time I broke two personal records in one day.
But first I want to thank my mom for making it possible. She left me a small inheritance when she passed away November of last year and today would have marked her 82nd birthday. So to do this on her birthday is just phenomenal ;-) Kinda got choked up when I dated the cards 12/22/2016.

I've been struggling for some time now trying to make it to the 250 club with 247 being my highest achievement until today with a 248 first card and a 250 second card.

Wasn't long after I shot my 247 this spring that I put a barrel adapter and a Huggett Belita on the end of my Thomas barrel. Scores went downhill after that and I just refused to believe it was the cause? Frank has been telling me these barrels just won't shoot suppressed? Still I refused to give up on it. I'm hard headed like that? I mean we got two of our top shooters in our FT club shooting suppressed Thomas's? But there's a huge difference in FT precision and BR precision so it seems.

I read Sharroff's post this morning on the test he did indoors with naked barrel , fully shrouded barrel, and air stripper.
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/effects-on-pellet-existing-the-barrel-impacting-poi-and-groupsize/

Those pictures of those 10 shot groups were enough to finally convince me to not only take the Huggett off but the barrel adapter as well. And the rest is history. But I still like to think my mom was looking down on me ;-)

I shot this at 27.5 yards outside in calm wind conditions with the 13.4 gr JSB Monsters. But with one twist.....I had my trusty 4.53 mm TBT pellet sizer and was sizing each pellet before I shot it. If the pellet was way to tight or way to loose or had a damaged skirt I would set that pellet to the side. The 4.53 resized pellets fit my breech perfectly, and I just flush them up tight with my thumb.

Finally made it to the 250 club and on my mom's birthday is icing on the cake.

Excellent shooting Jimmy. A 250 indoors is not easy. Outdoor 250 is impressive, the slightest wind current will move a pellet. Ive seen some incredible things in my life and believe your mom was smiling on her 82nd B-day. 

"Strever"John
you need to keep the gun down as low on the table as you can possibly keep it
lower your seating rather then the gun, it gets very unstable up there
i have not found an H&N pellet yet that will shoot worth a darn in benchrest
and i think i have tried all of them
"Percula"
checking out some H&N pellets. The "Sniper magnum" 15gr showed some potential. Also tried some H&N Baracuda Magnum 16gr, but didn't see a lot of potential with them. Shot the cards with H&N Piledriver 21gr, unsorted. Definitely could tell when I got a "odd" pellet.

I was also testing out raising my whole rig by placing some 4x6 blocks under the rest and rear bag. Had fits getting a natural POA. Bit of a frustrating session, it was one of those rare calm days...
The problem is that with my bad back/neck a long shooting session result in migraine headaches and heavy meds that pretty leave me "out of it" for 8-24 hours. Now that I know the dimensions I need from the unstable blocks, I can build a nice stable platform to place the rest and bag on. I'll make it with adjustable feet so it can adjust to uneven surfaces. I will likely build a few goodies into as well to make the shooting experience better, e.g. pellet cup instead of pulling from a plastic box/tin. 

About a month back I wrote in this thread that I was interested in trying a club BR Match and was attempting to learn what I needed to get myself started. Well..., I still haven't made it to the club yet. Holidays, Birthdays (four), weather (haven't seen bare ground in 7-weeks now), and issues with making my rifle able to participate have kept me away from the club so far, but I am still trying!

De-tuning my rifle in an effort to gain enough shots per fill to get through one card has me starting from scratch with re-learning my15+ year old rifle. I have settled on my new fill pressure that will now get my 20fpe (tuned down from 30fpe) non-regulated rifle to put 25 good shots together. Still working with technique, pellets, etc. but I'm making progress. I always thought my Falcon was about as accurate as it could possibly be. That was, until I started shooting an official Airgun Benchrest target where EVERY shot matters!

Today, I was at a point in looking for more shot-to-shot consistency that there just wasn't any place left to look. Except..., for pulling the rifle's moderator and seeing if the rifle liked the change in harmonics??? The ambient temp. was 9F while I was testing today. I only got through one card before I was froze-out but I have to say that today's 25-shots without the moderator where the most consistent 25 I have ever put down with this rifle! :)

While I don't expect to be competitive considering my basic gear, rifle, and personal benchrest shooting skills, I am going to make an effort to get to the club and start learning the details about how to improve at Airgun Benchrest! 

"Coldking"Hey Precharged- shooting the 13.4 grain JSBs - 20 FT LB - HV class 
we have a cold front moving through - but temps aren't going to get close to yours! 
Maybe lower 50s !
but that's cold enough 
CK
Frank, 50s is 't-shirt' weather up here in the mountains. :) It will be negative double digits tonight! We are having a pretty bad Winter this year with lot's of snow and cold temps! Makes for shooting and trying to test various changes not a pleasant affair. :) But hey, the Spring, Summer, and most of Fall can't be beat up high in the pines!

I've been reading a lot of old post/threads on various boards about everything airgun benchrest. Seems that most of you experienced shooters do not find accuracy/consistency with any sort of air stripper or moderator. Do I have that right, or have things changed in that regard?

LOL! Can't shoot in 50 degree weather ! My arthritis kicks up - everything stiff - well........😆
As to accuracy and mods strippers and other things hanging off the end of a barrel -
unless it's a device designed to tune to the barrel harmonics such as used in rimefire and centerfire competition rigs.....
I've found that anything hanging off the end degrades accuracy 
Alfred of Beaumont suggests that his rifles not be suppressed -
But some might have differing experience ?
CK

"PreCharged"Frank, it was -14F at 6:00am this morning. We have a guest room and you are welcome to come for a visit (har har)!

Back to shooting. I find it interesting that my 25yd POI did not change at all when I took the 7" long moderator off my barrel. Don't know if that is due to my bench technique, or what??? I expected some POI change??? Any thoughts?
I wouldn't expect the POI to change on a single shot, but I would expect a tighter group unless your moderator was tuned to your rifle, aka its harmonics were tuned so that a node was at the crown with the moderator on.

I've heard of some not seeing any shift in POI - but for me - anything that hangs off the end causes instant erratic shots ?
each barrel has its own harmonics -in rimefire and centerfire - devices are made to tune the rifle barrel to the wave created -
somewhat like using a tuning fork to tune A piano ---
always something! 
Guess that's what keeps it interesting -?
CK