• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

Bought it from Champions Choice -
i do believe the pellets bounce back and tear the paper ? But on some -the paper gets ripped sideways ?
ive tried moving the targets around on the cardboard also suspending the cardboard in front of the plywood - using (2) 1"X 1" wood Dowels as spacers -
at one point I thought the target paper wasnt thick enough? 

thanks Joe -
regards 
CK

Well - my only thought is the thickness of the paper- I can't remember the Mil thickness from Staples - but I'd asked for the thickest that they had-
ended up being like .15cents a card though- but no tearing - this was last year before I'd ordered from Joe Freidrich -
'and I've tried everything else -sometimes even with virgin cardboard -the paper rips sideways------
cK

Frank, try screwing a couple of 2"x2" or 2"x4" rails to attach the cardboard to. That would bring the paper and cardboard away from the harder wood. Over the rails, before you put up the cardboard, go to the Dollar Tree and get the 30" X 24" white foam boards. At a dollar each you could put several over each other to make it thicker. Then when you shoot, the foam should trap the pellet from bouncing back through the cardboard as the energy should be fairly spent. Actually the foam board can be your backer. They are $1.77 at Wal Mart too.

The foam is rigid and can last a long time. You may have move the targets slightly away from the last card as you are too damn accurate and will widen the hole. The foam board is firm and holds the target flat. I use them with a reality sign rack Here at my range.

Fortunately I have enough land that I don't need to stop the pellets. So no need for a trap or backer.

Another thought Frank. It looks like you are using corrugated cardboard for backers. Is it possible that some of the pellets hit dead on a hollow of the corrugation or a spot that causes the paper to rip oval?

I use the Joe Friedrick official cards and had not had that issue with the holes going oval. Again I use those foam boards that are solid tight foam. Something to think about.....

P.S 
'on official USARB matches - the hosting site will provide the targets, backers and scoring --
'so most of this conversation is academic--
only need smaller cleaner rounder holes to appease the scorecard Gods ---
'and the occasional Ball Buster ;-)
but I want to thank all you guys for chiming in with helpful advise, that's what I like the most about the AGN -
'a sense of friendship 
take care
CK

CK the ambiguity is that you only post 750s. Not that it can't be done, but (to my knowledge) it is rarely - if ever - done outdoors, at official matches (correct distance, others scoring, etc).

For those of us who compete in sanctioned matches, 250s are a rare prize...not to mention 750s. It is possible the conditions at your range are not equivalent to those at Oxnard, Phoenix, or in the NE US.

The best and most valid competitions are head-to-head official matches. You are certainly a very good marksman, with superb equipment and resources. Sanctioned head-to-head matches will maximize your enjoyment of our sport.