• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would Rather See Lighter Rifles.

Re: shoulder problems.

Try a collagen supplement!

I tore 3 out of the 4 ligaments in my left shoulder a few years ago.

My left arm would barely move plus a ton of pain.

Went to an Ortho doc, went to therapy... almost a year later and ZERO improvement.

Finally I said I gotta try something, anything!

One day in the health food store I grabbed a bottle of joint pills that had type II collagen.

6 weeks later I was playing golf again (gently). Another month after that I was hitting it as hard as I ever have in my life and no pain
1f4aa.svg

A couple times in the last year I ran out of pills and didn't take any for a couple weeks and the pain started to return!

Quickly located some more collagen pills and back to perfect within a week
1f44d.svg

Told a few friends and relatives about the pills and their shoulders also improved dramatically.

One of the people I told about it was Socaloldman here on AGN. He got great results as well.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose
1f60e.svg

There are a lot of joint pills out there and most of them have glucosamine and chondroitin.

Make sure you get one that has type II collagen.

It depends on the specific problem. In my case, one of the rotator cuff muscles is totally detached. Based on the MRI, the doc said it was an old injury, and the detached muscle had atrophied so much, it can't be reattached, as they did in my other shoulder. The distance it has withdrawn from the attachment point is really remarkable. So, unfortunately, this is not the kind of thing that a supplement can correct. The good news, my bicep muscle has partially compensated for the missing shoulder muscle, and although I have some bicep and shoulder pain, I have full range of motion, and probably 70% of normal strength. If I have a complete reverse replacement, my strength and pain will be improved, but range of motion will be reduced, since they attach the deltoid muscle to the cuff. As long as I manage how I use it, I hope to avoid the replacement, and keep on shootin"!

I used to complain that the Hatsans needed wheels because they were as heavy as cannons. I recently went back to the Airforce line because of the power vs weight, and now I too have a 4.5 lb Airforce Escape UL as my goto hunting rifle. At 69 years young I have had to cut back on the distance of my day hunts from 10-12 miles (with 1500 ft altitude changes) to 5-6 miles with the same altitude changes. While in generally very good health, the legs and shoulders let me know about every extra oz that I carry now. It is not that I can't still do the distance, but how long it takes me to recover afterwards that makes me love the Escape. :)

I used to complain that the Hatsans needed wheels because they were as heavy as cannons. I recently went back to the Airforce line because of the power vs weight, and now I too have a 4.5 lb Airforce Escape UL as my goto hunting rifle. At 69 years young I have had to cut back on the distance of my day hunts from 10-12 miles (with 1500 ft altitude changes) to 5-6 miles with the same altitude changes. While in generally very good health, the legs and shoulders let me know about every extra oz that I carry now. It is not that I can't still do the distance, but how long it takes me to recover afterwards that makes me love the Escape. :)

I like my AirForce rifles as well. I now have 2 of them. And I bet I would like them even more if I were carrying them in the field for hunting purposes, which I don't do any more.

Just looking over these post, seems a lot of us are in agreement, lighter rifles would be appreciated & purchased. As well all know rifles of all weight, sizes & configurations are needed. I am in no way bashing heavy guns, many of you love them & I have in the past & may in the future. I am happy to see the interest in a lighter rifle, hopefully some of the manufactures will think about it. As we know some has already. Happy Shootin. 

Looks like I’m definitely in the minority here but I prefer well balanced, durable rifles in the 10-12lb range. I find it much more difficult to shoot the light rifles accurately off hand and struck out on the couple “light” rifles I did own. 

The nature of the design limits shaving too much weight without severely sacrificing durability.

That said, I am also a sucker for nice glass and that usually comes a a price of increased weight. I have found myself cutting weight from different places like lighter packs, snacks, clothing, boots, and leaving behind unnecessary stuff for longer field hunts. To me, I want my rifle, be it air rifle or centerfire, to be as solid and reliable as possible. Nothing will ruin a day faster than having a rifle that suffers from zero shift or environmental issues. 

I do appreciate the fact that folks who are older or dealing with significant injuries still have the drive to get out there and enjoy the sport so I absolutely see the market for lighter rifles and fully support that. Someone mentioned above about lighter stocks... that is one place a lot of manufacturers could shave a significant amount of weight and still maintain their reliability and “solidness.” It would be cool to see some aftermarket carbon fiber stock offerings for the big brands like FX, Daystate, BSA etc... right now they have 22 ounce carbon fiber stocks for the light weight centerfire hunting rifles. I would imagine this would shave well over a pound off the stock of my Daystate Safari... that could be orettt damn cool!