• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Worth dipping your toe or save up for a high end?

Hey all!! Looking at getting my first pcp air rifle. I’m an avid powder shooter looking to get past the ammo prices and keep training my kids. I’ve been looking at everything from the flash pup to neutron star(nova star) to airforce condor to FX Dreamliner (being a top of the line still have to save up for gun) what has been your experience??? Is it worth spending $3-400 for something like the flash pup and saving more for a top tier down the road? Worth getting something middle of the road or save up to get a cream of the crop pcp? I’m looking at target and hunting and would like to do slugs. Prefer .25-30 cal to start. I appreciate your input guys!!

Hey all!! Looking at getting my first pcp air rifle. I’m an avid powder shooter looking to get past the ammo prices and keep training my kids. I’ve been looking at everything from the flash pup to neutron star(nova star) to airforce condor to FX Dreamliner (being a top of the line still have to save up for gun) what has been your experience??? Is it worth spending $3-400 for something like the flash pup and saving more for a top tier down the road? Worth getting something middle of the road or save up to get a cream of the crop pcp? I’m looking at target and hunting and would like to do slugs. Prefer .25-30 cal to start. I appreciate your input guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpCJYUOI9pM

I learned a lot throughout my journey with different levels of PCP's. If I had to do it all over again, I would not start at the top. I would start, pretty much, at the same level I did. 

I started with a Benjamin Discovery. Today, the Benjamin Marauder is one I would recommend to someone just starting out. But, it all depends on budget, intended use, and experience. With the experience you mentioned, it sounds like a middle of the road rifle would have the accuracy you would enjoy at a lower entry cost allowing you to start saving for your next top tier rifle. Consider looking through the AGN classifieds section, too. You might find a nicely tuned rifle or a better deal on one that you're already considering. 

Good luck and Happy Shooting! 

Tom

The Marauder will get you going with inexpensive magazines and they are pretty quiet + a great warranty. Get the 22 for ammo economy or the 25 for more power and you won't lose much if you decide to sell it later to fund the high end gun. They are a bit on the heavy side, but you can get a lighter scope like the 3-12 Bugbuster with side focus and mil dot reticle. Then all you need is an inexpensive pump - great way to learn.

I dunno, I started high end and it ruined me on the entry level guns. After starting out with an FX Royale, I never kept any entry level guns more than a couple of weeks before selling them because of becoming disinterested in them. Lack luster triggers, accuracy wasn't as good, lower shot count, they weigh more, typically don't balance as well, etc., etc., that just my .02. Had I started entry level and never moved up I may have been happy as a clam not knowing what I was missing.

I would start basic and simple if it involves getting kids involved and training. Assuming you are not using them as an excuse to get a gun for yourself. (My next gun is because my daughter in law will like it). Benjamin Maximus, Fortitude or Hatsan Flash in .177 will kill cans or lollipops like a Marlin .22 at 30 yards and produce some fine targets also. Hand pump friendly to keep cost down and moderately light guns. A Marauder pistol with a shoulder stock is extra light and accurate in .22 plus a magazine. If I was a kid I would prefer a Ruger 10/22 to an Anshultz if I wasn’t already a competitor. Most kids prefer more rounds down range vs 1/4 inch groups. 

I agree with the marauder being a good start. I started out with a .25 marauder and was very impressed with it. Hit a quarter at 50 yards easily, cleaned up a chipmunk infestation quickly and humanely. I liked it well enough to try and make it better with an after market barrel, I did get better accuracy but still just had a marauder. I wouldn’t try to improve a low end gun again, I’d spring for a high end gun. Since you already shoot powder burners and are going to be shooting with the kids I’d pick up a used marauder and then save up for a high end gun. The difference between the marauder and my Theoben .20 cal is huge, the Theoben is capable of absolutely incredible groups as long as it’s not too windy. Once you shoot a high end gun that’s dialed in your going to be hooked and also really pleased. Get ready for the addiction to take hold. Your kids are very fortunate that they have a dad that will do this! Once you are invested and set up it’s really cheap to shoot airguns...unless you shoot big bore or slugs, that’s more cost per shot. But looking at the accuracy of slugs is making me think about trying them out at long range. Good luck with your adventure! Keep us posted on what you get, and pictures of the kids shooting!

BUY THE BEST. It will be old within a couple months. If I didn't buy a new car yesterday, I'm afraid I would buy the delta wolf!

Tomico has it on the head. A good midrange gun. Which one? None of us know, that's why we all have 8 or 10 or a million.

There are so many good guns I can't or won't try to advise. I give up, they're all good (mostly).

My 2 cents:

I started with the Mrod in .25. Arguably the most documented rifle around, virtually any issue has already been seen and accounted for. Not to mention all the experience members here have. Bigragu saved me a few times!! Parts are easy to find, and modifications are abundant. (Shout out to Tim Hill) This taught me the basics of PCP’s, tuning, maintenance and repair. It also allowed for funds to buy a CF tank, a chrony, tools, etc., all things needed for the airgun rabbit hole. It also allowed me to decide where I wanted to go with airgunning. After trying to mod the mrod, I realized what type/style/caliber I was needing next. Initially I though I was going to be all hunting but am finding FT and benchrest are my new favorites. Now I also have a much deeper appreciation for the designs and craftsmanship of the high end guns and know what features would best suit my shooting style. IMO the Mrod is the perfect intro to PCP’s. I still shoot and hunt with mine regularly. Squirrels be dammed!

My thoughts ...buy a gun that has the best customer support. Some high end guns that may need parts can be a real problem. Now you also mentioned kids. As much as the Marauder was mentioned (and it is a good recommend) it is a moose of a rifle. So for most smaller kids they would be limited to a well propped rifle on a bench. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a P'rod and use it with the included shoulder stock. Next up would be the already mentioned Fortitude. Both of these are easy to handle and have the best customer service, and parts availability in the industry, The downside, as sold .22cal is as big as these two come.