• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Woodchucks - only take 'em out >30 ft/lbs?

Readers digest - I had opportunity to play with, what for me, is a long shot - 169 yards with my .22 long Taipan Veteran - 23g H&N slugs @922 fps. After I figured out the wind and how much to hold off ( r-l cross wind ) I actually placed a couple of shots w/in an inch and a half or so on target. I was pretty happy with that.

A couple of things I was pleased with:

1. Strelok was dead on in it's calculation of how much to dial up.
  2. I hit the target (lol) - which I'd actually doubted that I would. I stuck two of those big old 8" splatter targets right next to one another on a cardboard box just to give myself a better chance of seeing where the shots (might) have hit. For real - I didn't know if I was even going to hit the thing...
    [/LIST=1]

So I aimed at the bullseye of the one on the right and ( mumbling to self . . . holy crap - I got it! ) (lol) The wind did pull it left and as mentioned above - once I figured out the wind - damn sam - I was good to go. 

According to strelok - this weight ammo @the speed I'm sending it - it's still carrying 25 ft/lbs @that 169/170 yards.

Now I'm not going to set out and try wacking chuckies at this distance - I seriously need to practice and get better / more consistent at anything over . . . 125. What I really need to do is get better at reading wind. Most of my shooting is actually 50-75 yards - but I have taken a half dozen or so chucks out to 130 in the past.

I quick googled a little bit before posting in here and the general indication I got from some of the posts / articles I read were that one should really hit 'em with 30+ ft/lbs to best / most cleanly and ethically take 'em out. Referencing strelok again - that has me staying w/in 110 yards with this gun / ammo setup.

Just curious what you guys think - >30 for chucks as a best practices "rule"?

I use a 20fpe .22 Marauder no problem but I'm sticking to 50 yards and in. Side of the head, right behind the eye is my go to shot. 110 is definately doable if you know your gun and wind holds.

20210612_163341.1625451576.jpg
20210606_182708.1625451577.jpg
20210605_133531.1625451578.jpg

These were all from 2 weekends ago.

Can you hit a coke can every time at 110 ? If you can you are probably good to go. I can not . For me 50 yards with an air rifle. If there is absolutely no wind and I have a clear shot from a perfect rest I might stretch it to 75. I don’t get many shots at GH inside 100 yards When they see you they often head to the hole. Everyone’s situation is different as well as there abilities 

I tried the 20fpe rule and quickly tossed it; I figure for 30fpe too. Not only that, and I know it's sacrilege around here, but I won't use 25gr Kings anymore either. The 34gr make a big difference once they hit. I said this before and everyone that uses the Kings made sure to let me know of their success with them. That's just wonderful, so have I, but it doesn't change the fact that the 34 does a better job. Accuracy is of course the most important but mass really wins.

25 FPE should be plenty if hit right on the temple or between the eyes. Vital should still kill it but not sure about how quick of a kill that would be.

Between the eyes is a risky shot on a larger groundhog. That's some thick skull that can deflect a shot rather than punch through. Seen it more than once. My rule of thumb lately is side of the head, back of the head, or if they stand up to take a look around, straight through the heart. I'm no expert by any means but those shots have always worked well for me.

unnamed 1.1625453971.jpg

The front of the head is pretty well protected against lower energy, low weight projectiles.

@Sqwirlfugger57: you are right about between the eye shots, the angle does make a big difference. If the head is down a 23grain slug will have no issues punch right through but if it lifts the head then could be a glancing shot. Side and back of the head is definitely more reliable. 

good thing about headshots is if you miss, you miss. Bad thing about vital is if you miss it can be badly wounded. I would have no qualms about trying for a headshot at that distance. I’ve hit the same end of a 12 oz bottle repeatedly at that distance before so completely doable if your gun and your shooting/“firing” solution is dialed which isn’t hard with strelok pro.

I've shot woodchucks/groundhogs with everything from 15 ft.lbs to 50 ft. lbs air rifles. For me, I go for under 50 yard shots and generally aim for the ear with a side profile shot. I shot a groundhog 2 weeks ago at 55 yards with my Leshiy classic which is 19 ft.lbs at the muzzle in .22. Ear shot and it went down, no issues. Shot placement is key, just like shooting any game. 100 ft. lbs shot at the body of a large woodchuck, and he'll run off. If you are confident in your shot placement, you won't need a ton of power.

I've taken 3 groundhogs at 48 yards with my 19 fpe. .177 HW100 BP-K and Polymags. All clean kill side of the head shots. I don't know how much energy the 8.02g. Polymag retains at that distance, but 2 of the 3 passed through the skull.

Thats quite a bit of energy out of an 8gr pellet. Do you get decent 50yd groups out of them at ~1030fps?

I've taken 3 groundhogs at 48 yards with my 19 fpe. .177 HW100 BP-K and Polymags. All clean kill side of the head shots. I don't know how much energy the 8.02g. Polymag retains at that distance, but 2 of the 3 passed through the skull.

Thats quite a bit of energy out of an 8gr pellet. Do you get decent 50yd groups out of them at ~1030fps?

Sorry, should have been 17 fpe. The Polys are leaving the muzzle at 977 fps. Yes, very good groups. The Polys are the most accurate out of this gun and head shots at 48 yards on chippers and hosps are no problem. I've been experimenting with the Mako slugs and so far they are very promising. Good groups at 30 yards with 15 mph cross winds.

... 100 ft. lbs shot at the body of a large woodchuck, and he'll run off. If you are confident in your shot placement, you won't need a ton of power.

I guess that's why I use 160fpe on groundhogs, as I'm always aiming center mass. I don't mind if he runs off, just as long as he's running to his grave. I won't say my shot accuracy can't pull off the headshots needed for sub 30fpe, it's just the groundhogs are so paranoid, they don't stand still long enough to get that headshot with certainty.

... 100 ft. lbs shot at the body of a large woodchuck, and he'll run off. If you are confident in your shot placement, you won't need a ton of power.

I guess that's why I use 160fpe on groundhogs, as I'm always aiming center mass. I don't mind if he runs off, just as long as he's running to his grave. I won't say my shot accuracy can't pull off the headshots needed for sub 30fpe, it's just the groundhogs are so paranoid, they don't stand still long enough to get that headshot with certainty.