• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wood Stock repair/ maintenance

Hi everyone reading this post,

I was out small game hunting yesterday morning in damp, foggy conditions...not hard rain but light mist and fog. I did notice a fair amount on condensation/ water on my gun and I’m wondering if moisture working its way to the raw un-finished inside surface of my wood stock could cause the action not to sit properly and eventually affect POI vs POA? I’m thinking to take the action out and apply something to the raw surface of the wood stock to keep the wood from swelling. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions or past experiences positive or negative would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Beach-gunner

Dennis

I often seal the inletted areas of a wood stock using a wipe-on type finish containing driers. I use Minwax Antique Oil as I know it will dry fast and hard. TruOil is another option. I usually thin a bit with mineral spirits to make sure it soaks in, then apply, wait a couple minutes and wipe off. Let dry overnight and apply a second coat if you wish. There will be no build up but the wood will be sealed and the surface hardened. You can sand the contact areas lightly to remove any roughness. Before putting the action back in the stock I lightly coat the underside with Hoppe's gun grease to prevent any corrosion in case some water gets trapped between metal and wood. This treatment is also a good idea if the rifle will be exposed to just humid conditions. The wood will absorb moisture and rust can develop where it is in contact with the wood.

I like to take Tightbond III waterproof wood glue and pour a little into a ketchup cup ( like found in a fast food restaurant) then give the entire stock inlet two light coats with a small paint brush.The glue will soak into the unfinished wood and harden therefore sealing it and help defend against tear outs/chips on future stock removals. It makes the inlet a little more snug fitting as well 👍