• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wischo magnum springer????????????

I remember in the 70s, before the R1 and I think before the Beeman Kodiak, Crow Magnum and Beeman RX1, there were 3 magnum springers. I remember the FWB 124, HW 35 and a Wischo ???? (not sure at all on the name or model). Does anybody know the last gun and/or post a picture. Love to get my hands on one but bet they are rare and expensive. Back in the 70s, were there other magnum springers I missed??? Thank you.

Reactions: scope1
They made a Wischo 70 was the top of the line in the rifle modle"here's a pic. of the pistol they made.Also this guy was the frist to import them Robert Law.I no Beeman is the god of air,But Robrt was the holey grail of airguns.

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4093.JPG
    IMG_4093.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4094.JPG
    IMG_4094.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The BSF model 55 rifle is probably what you're thinking of - they were very popular in the US, imported by Air Rifle Headquarters starting in the 1960's, and then Beeman for a short time in his early days. Same barrel-cocking gun with a longer barrel was the model 60, add a deluxe cheekpiece stock to make the model 70. BSF also made a good selection of smaller junior rifles, the rather unusual S54 underlever, and the S20 pistol. The "BSF" logo is most common, but guns were also sold under the"Wischo" and "Bavaria" trademarks.

Here's a BSF 55, with basic beech stock. A nice checkered walnut version was also available:

IMG_6007.jpeg

BSF was sold in the early 80's, and the new owner re-issued the guns with revised stocks and other details. But this failed; they went out of business in the late 1980's and Weihrauch bought them. For several years after that, some interesting "hybrid" rifles were made as HW used up BSF parts, many being sold here under the "Marksman" name.

Danny Garvin's "Vintage Airguns Gallery" site is always a great place to look when researching older airguns. Here's the BSF section:

There is also a nice BSF collector's group on Facebook.

Last edited:
Mentioning the Magnums you listed I thought of the Whiscombe instantly. Seems like one of the tip barrel undrelevers made 30fpe without disturbing a pellet placed on scope turret.
I "just happened to be at Rox's" the day the last shipment came into the U.S. .
Even if still made (nope) most modern airgun folks would NEVER get one as it involve putting green dollar bills in an envelope and sending it over seas to John. And - horror- waiting.
And happy new owner the day his showed up: quirrel rig:
new whiscombe (2021_05_10 08_17_41 UTC).jpg

And another slightly older model I've had the pleasure of shooting:
whiscombe 150.jpg

Put that one your list I think? You DO need one.

John

Mentioning the Magnums you listed I thought of the Whiscombe instantly. Seems like one of the tip barrel undrelevers made 30fpe without disturbing a pellet placed on scope turret.
I "just happened to be at Rox's" the day the last shipment came into the U.S. .
Even if still made (nope) most modern airgun folks would NEVER get one as it involve putting green dollar bills in an envelope and sending it over seas to John. And - horror- waiting.
And happy new owner the day his showed up: quirrel rig: View attachment 371524
And another slightly older model I've had the pleasure of shooting:
View attachment 371525

Put that one your list I think? You DO need one.

John
Iv herd that he made the hole gun in his garage" haven't herd much about them in the last 15 years?yes works of arts" duel piston.

Reactions: JamesD.
The BSF model 55 rifle is probably what you're thinking of - they were very popular in the US, imported by Air Rifle Headquarters and then Beeman. Same barrel-cocking gun with a longer barrel was the model 60; BSF also made a good selection of smaller junior rifles, the rather unusual S54 underlever, and the S20 pistol. The rifles were available with basic beech and upgrade walnut stocks. The "BSF" logo is most common, but guns were also sold under the"Wischo" and "Bavaria" trademarks.

Here's a BSF 55:

View attachment 371439

BSF was sold in the early 80's, and the new owner re-issued the guns with revised stocks and other details. But this failed; they went out of business in the late 1980's and Weihrauch bought them. For several years after that, some interesting "hybrid" rifles were made as HW used up BSF parts, many being sold here under the "Marksman" name.

Danny Garvin's "Vintage Airguns Gallery" site is always a great place to look when researching older airguns. Here's the BSF section:

There is also a nice BSF collector's group on Facebook.

Thanks for the succinct history lesson, Mike. My (late) brother won a Marksman 55 (if I'm recalling correctly) in an indoor field target competition in the early eighties that was a BSF/Weihrauch hybrid of which you speak. Again if I'm recalling correctly, it had a raised attached scope rail (that came loose), and a Record trigger.

Reactions: MDriskill
The BSF 55...as called in the UK and Europe (Traded under Wisho License for the States) was what a good springer should be.
In good order it's compact light weight dimensions (41" long and approx 7lbs) could launch Hobbies at 855 fps.
Well made with a good number still working fine today.
It shaded the power of the HW35 but could kick a bit with its full length spring.
You certainly needed to learn to shoot the unfettled OEM version.
A luxury stock version called the 60 was superb.
The later 70 lost some of the appeal with more 80s style shabby woodwork before BSF disappeared forever.

The 85 copied some of the 70 appearance and weight but was not the same gun as is often reported.
A legend created because the 85 employed the rail idea for the scope mount....but different trigger, barrel, sights etc..

Last edited:
If I recall my HISTORY on the HW 95 series of rifles ... That the entire line of "Wischo" was assimilated by Weihrauch becoming some of these models we see today.
Not all of Wischo models continued tho a few still carry on.

Correct or am i confused ?
That is correct. Again - "BSF," "Wischo," and "Bavaria" were all the same guns up to the early 80's, just with different names stamped on. BSF was a staple product for Air Rifle Headquarters for years starting in the 60's. Beeman brought in a few with the Wischo stamp around 1980. To the best of my knowledge, none of those trademarks are still active today though.

The hybrid guns that Weihrauch came up with after buying BSF were sold here under the "Marksman" name, in about the 1989 - 1995 time frame I think. Most had HW modular triggers with a new rocker-type safety. The sights, trigger guards, scope rails and maybe receiver tubes were BSF parts, but the internal workings were different.

The BSF guns typically made power with a relatively small piston and a long stroke. This basic idea carried over into many newer HW designs like the HW 95 for sure. Tom Gaylord did several nice blog entries about it: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017/03/bsf-s70-air-rifle-part-1/

Here's the main rifle sheet from the 1989 Marksman catalog. The model 28 was an HW 30 / R7-ish size rifle, and the model 40 much like the old HW 50 / R8. The models 55 and 70 retained the old BSF names. The model 70 "graduated" from the Perfect to the Rekord the next year, and other small changes filtered through as HW worked their way though the BSF parts bins!

The HW 98 / R11 is an interesting marriage of these two - the model "56 FTS" intended for field target, and the "58 S" designed for silhouette...!

Long story short: these are weird airguns!

Last edited:
My entire BSF "collection," ha - an S54 Match tap-loading underlever, and an S20 pistol. The S54 is a very eccentric design. Super long barrel, two-piece cocking linkage, cast aluminum buttplate, weird sights.

The S20 (see willy's pics above) was for many years the most powerful springer pistol in captivity - it is BSF's junior rifle action with a short barrel and the trigger "bullpupped" to the front!

Last edited:
My entire BSF collection, LOL - an S54 Match tap-loading underlever, and an S20 pistol. The S54 is a very eccentric design. Super long barrel, two-piece cocking linkage, cast aluminum buttplate, weird sights.

The S20 (see willy's pics above) was for many years the most powerful springer pistol in captivity - it is BSF's junior rifle action with a short barrel and the trigger "bullpupped" to the front!

Oh, that 54 Match reeks of Euro Old School COOL! Is it as heavy, quality construction as it looks? Might not have much practical application nowadays, but Man that thing is lovely!

Reminds me somewhat of an older vintage Diana Model 50 tap-loading underlever I had for a while. I couldn't find a real use for it, but the Old School aesthetics were over the top. Wish I still had it... just to HAVE it.😂

My 54 happens to be the one that Tom Gaylord used to own...no. 4707! Note, in my pic above it's wearing a Williams sight in lieu of the OEM BSF diopter.

I too am a fan of the Diana 50. They weigh about as much as a Mauser 98 and shoot about as hard as an R7 (seriously), but the aesthetics are undeniable, especially the earlier ones with more milled bits and cool sights.

IMG_1766.jpeg

Reactions: JDR
My favourite of the entire BSF range was the 60N...
Beautifully simple like .22 Rimfires of that time ...stock was of Walnut with very decent traditional cut chequring at the grip. .177 pellets from these (they liked Hobby) would pass clean through the skull of a squirrel at 30 yards despite being a wadcutter. The 55N was remarkably similar, leading many to wonder the reason for the 2 different models. The differences so subtle that other makers would probably have just called them a basic or deluxe version of the same gun.
There was also a 45, only very slightly smaller than the 55N/60N....adding to the confusion..barely 3/4" length difference in all the cylinders.

I think they killed the beautiful simplicity by copying the stock of the Diana 35 for the 70 model, but by this time new models from HW had took control, before HW finally buying up the competitor just to kill it off...
The 85 paid homage to the line but BSF was no more...

IMG_0237.JPG