• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat MK3 BT Slug tune?

Is anyone here shooting slugs out of a 22 caliber Wildcat MK3 BT Compact successfully? FX advertise these as being designed for heavy pellets and slugs. Ted Bier's is shooting 23 grain slugs at 950 to 1000 fps out of a Wildcat BT Compact on YouTube. I'd like to shoot 22 caliber 23 grain slugs at 900 + fps. I'm hoping someone here has already developed a slug tune.
So... what are the regulators set at? Where is your hammer spring adjuster screw set at? Thanks.
George

Reactions: NC_22
Is anyone here shooting slugs out of a 22 caliber Wildcat MK3 BT Compact successfully? FX advertise these as being designed for heavy pellets and slugs. Ted Bier's is shooting 23 grain slugs at 950 to 1000 fps out of a Wildcat BT Compact on YouTube. I'd like to shoot 22 caliber 23 grain slugs at 900 + fps. I'm hoping someone here has already developed a slug tune.
So... what are the regulators set at? Where is your hammer spring adjuster screw set at? Thanks.
George
I had I though time getting there but I am shooting NSA 23 gr at 970 first reg is 170 second reg is 140 50 yards slug on slug I haven’t had a chance to go longer. You have to hold the gun firm I’m in a wheelchair and I use the premo shooting sticks!
hope this helps. power setting 7 Jim

Reactions: NC_22
Jim;
Thanks for the help. I have a Huma pin probe, but not the slug kit. At first I was getting very inconsistent velocities. Which made tuning darn near impossible and very frustrating. Talked to FX customer service, and learned I had the wrong hammer weight and the hammer spring adjuster screw was way off. FX sent the correct hammer weight. I installed it, then adjusted the hammer spring per Dang ol' Winner's video.
I've got the front regulator at 160 Bar and the second at 130 Bar. This has the 23 gr NSA slugs at 940 fps with nice consistent velocities. I've got it sighted in at 20 yards, the maximum range in my suburban back yard. Friday I'll take it to my hunting cabin where I can shoot further. And do some squirrel hunting too.
Thanks again.

George

Reactions: NC_22 and thanossf
I forgot to mention I have the slug kit in the gun the whole thing , i got confused with Ted’s video because he said he just had the pin probe ? With just the pin probe I never got close to his numbers you have to put the whole kit in!
Jim
Thanks for clarifying Jim I've been trying the same thing based on what Ted put out in his video. I have just the pin probe and cannot achieve the speeds the Ted claimed. Looks like I need to put the rest of the kit in.

Last edited:
I would start the tuning process over from scratch. IHS @ 6mm,, PW @ 7, first reg @ 180 2nd Reg @ 120.
Then all that is left to do is increase your 2nd reg until it starts to lose velocity. Use the PW to lower fps by 15-25 fps from your peak velocity, then use the IHS to tune for tight SD’s. If you can’t get to your desired speed you will need to add the rest of the slug power kit.
For some reason people like to wind the 2nd reg up really high on the Compacts. My 25 Compact is running the 2nd reg @ 105 and shooting JSB King 25.39’s @ 890 and I do not have the IHS out all the way. Accuracy is exceptional. I would think you should be able to get 950 with the 23 gr slugs.

About to buy a .22 Compact for backyard plinking between 50 and 100 yards.
Based on the above i deduce it seems tricky to tune for slugs, right? Doable, but not easy.
So would you guys rather recommend pellets over slugs on this gun? Thank you.
Thierry;
I've got a compact 22, bottle version. It is shooting 20.2 grain NSA slugs at 985 fps or 23 grain slugs at 945 fps. It wasn't difficult to achieve these velocities but it did take some additional parts: a pin probe and a heavier hammer weight. I got both from Huma-Air. I also added a digital gauge for the plenum / second regulator as the factory gauge was unreadable (64 year old eyes aren't what they use to be).
My second regulator is set at 135 Bar, the first regulator is set at 170 Bar. The internal Hammer adjustment is pretty well maxed out. The Wildcat isn't difficult to tune. You have two regulators to set / adjust, the power wheel and the internal hammer adjustment. There are several excellent videos online that will show you how.

George
PS - The adjustment screw for the first regulator is at the front of the gun near the fill port. You must remove the stock to access the adjustment screw. The owner's manual did not include that little tid bit.

Thierry;
I've got a compact 22, bottle version. It is shooting 20.2 grain NSA slugs at 985 fps or 23 grain slugs at 945 fps. It wasn't difficult to achieve these velocities but it did take some additional parts: a pin probe and a heavier hammer weight. I got both from Huma-Air. I also added a digital gauge for the plenum / second regulator as the factory gauge was unreadable (64 year old eyes aren't what they use to be).
My second regulator is set at 135 Bar, the first regulator is set at 170 Bar. The internal Hammer adjustment is pretty well maxed out. The Wildcat isn't difficult to tune. You have two regulators to set / adjust, the power wheel and the internal hammer adjustment. There are several excellent videos online that will show you how.

George
PS - The adjustment screw for the first regulator is at the front of the gun near the fill port. You must remove the stock to access the adjustment screw. The owner's manual did not include that little tid bit.
Thank you so much. Appreciated.