• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat mk3 bt compact 30cal question

Try to stretch the gun out to 100 yards with your current tune and slugs. If you’re still getting sub moa groups out to 100, the you’ve answered the question on accuracy.

As for fps, really doesn’t matter if your accuracy is there and you’re shooting paper. I could see wanting to maximize your fps if you’re trying to shoot longer distances or need more energy for hunting, but I regularly shoot .30 pellets at 100 yards with a tune around 840-860 with good results.

Everything I read says the Compact in 30 caliber isn't a good slug gun cuz the barrel is too short and it doesn't get enough speed up for good accuracy . When I called FX they told me that 47.2 would be fine but I have the adjuster on six and the 851 is what I was getting
So just shoot it at distance lol

Results are literally the only thing that matter, until you try you will not know. I just showed you that bullet stability between 860 fps and 960fps is marginally different.

SHOOT IT! I'm not understanding what the big deal is about the numbers.

What would be the main objective for using a slug? FPE? Accuracy? Coolness factor? I'm under the guise that if someone wants to be accurate at 40 yards with any pellet gun, you would probably use a pellet. I would assume that if someone wanted to shoot slugs, they probably have a purpose, long range accuracy, hunting, and that would make you want the 20FPE difference from 850fps to 950fps. If the projectile has the same stability between 850 and 950, wouldn't it inherently be more accurate for a longer distance? Why would you want to shoot 850 then, to punch paper?

What would be the main objective for using a slug? FPE? Accuracy? Coolness factor? I'm under the guise that if someone wants to be accurate at 40 yards with any pellet gun, you would probably use a pellet. I would assume that if someone wanted to shoot slugs, they probably have a purpose, long range accuracy, hunting, and that would make you want the 20FPE difference from 850fps to 950fps. If the projectile has the same stability between 850 and 950, wouldn't it inherently be more accurate for a longer distance? Why would you want to shoot 850 then, to punch paper?
Its very funny you mention that, the difference of 20fpe is really only at the muzzle, if we are talking at range the gap gets much closer because the stability factor is marginal at best.

If you look at the first chart for 960 fps @ 200 yards its 57 fpe with a drop of 90 inches

When looking at the second chart at 860 fps @ 200 yards its only 9 fpe difference , the big difference would be the drop @ 200 yards and 20 inches, eh, thats 100% easily manageable clearly shown by looking at the slight difference in MOA adjustment. Even the wind drift is the same

So ask yourself, is half if not less than half the shot count worth it? is fouling my already awesome tune worth it? am I shooting animals at 100 yards? 150 yards? 200 yards? Or am I concerned with numbers on paper vs actually using my rifle.

Resized_20230412_090039.jpeg

Resized_20230412_090027.jpeg

Everything I read says the Compact in 30 caliber isn't a good slug gun cuz the barrel is too short and it doesn't get enough speed up for good accuracy . When I called FX they told me that 47.2 would be fine but I have the adjuster on six and the 851 is what I was getting
You just need to bump the regulators up and the hammer spring tension. I think my compact 30 came with 125 bar on the second regulator. I would assume somewhere between 150-145 bar would be enough to get those up to a more reasonable speed

You just need to bump the regulators up and the hammer spring tension. I think my compact 30 came with 125 bar on the second regulator. I would assume somewhere between 150-145 bar would be enough to get those up to a more reasonable speed
why do you keep telling him to mess with his rifle? are you ignoring everything else in this thread and just baselessly telling him to do things? What is unreasonable about his current speed?

Who buys a double-regulated gun to shoot slugs and doesn't tune it accordingly? I'd be interested to see what the FX techs would say.
What is wrong about his tune right now? please enlighten me? we still haven't been given a purpose, we still don't know his objective, we dont know if shot count is necessary, we don't know if hes punching paper or if hes hunting.... See post number 25 in this thread.

Reactions: madeintheuk
I wasnt ignoring you, you literally posted two screen shots of ballistic data proving why it would be better to shoot at 960FPS.
If you cannot realize that the bennies of that 960 are extremely marginal then you prove your lack of knowledge on the subject......

You are worried about 7fpe at 200 yards ? At what cost? again, you answered none of my questions. What takes an extra 7 fpe at 200 yards to kill that you are shooting? Wind drift is the same. Elevation is the only thing that will differ and its MARGINAL.

You clearly have zero idea of what youre talking about and cannot relate any of this to real world.

In fact, @N1neWivesSniper the wind drift is better on the 860fps chart the whole way through lol so what now?

Last edited:
If you cannot realize that the bennies of that 960 are extremely marginal then you prove your lack of knowledge on the subject......

You are worried about 7fpe at 200 yards ? At what cost? again, you answered none of my questions. What takes an extra 7 fpe at 200 yards to kill that you are shooting? Wind drift is the same. Elevation is the only thing that will differ and its MARGINAL.

You clearly have zero idea of what youre talking about and cannot relate any of this to real world.
Wow insulting people now? I don't have to stoop down to your level.

Btw you are the one who mentioned 200 yards.. How about you ask the gentleman what he plans to do with the gun? I'd bet he wants to shoot more than 40 yards and have knock down power.

Are you sure you know how much 7 FPE is? even been shot by a paintball or maybe even airsoft?

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about and can relate to anything, but I'll be sure to subscribe to your massive youtube channel to learn something that ive been doing 20 years.

• Haha
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Wow insulting people now? I don't have to stoop down to your level.

Btw you are the one who mentioned 200 yards.. How about you ask the gentleman what he plans to do with the gun? I'd bet he wants to shoot more than 40 yards and have knock down power.

Are you sure you know how much 7 FPE is? even been shot by a paintball or maybe even airsoft?

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about and can relate to anything, but I'll be sure to subscribe to your massive youtube channel to learn something that ive been doing 20 years.
I don't see an insult there at all, I see a speculation.

This is TOO FUNNY, I have been basing my comments on the fact that NEITHER of you asked what his intentions were before telling him to change his rifle. I have been preaching the fact that we need to know his intention and what his concerns are. So far we do not know any of this. I have been THE ONLY ONE asking for this.

I know how much 7 fpe is, and any animal you would be shooting this with is not going to know the difference between 55 and 48 fpe....

With that said, the wind drift is better on the 860 fps chart than the 950 fps chart so what do we have to say about this?

A "good slug gun" is relative and very subjective. It wont shoot slugs as well as a longer 700mm setup would. The reason is: to get the higher fps/fpe you need to crank up the tune; which uses a lot more air and runs the risk of upsetting the slug as it leaves the barrel if not done correctly. Compacts are best for shorter ranges and lighter slugs or pellets. Again its relative. I feel confident I can hit a ground squirrel at about 100yds with my little 22 Cal Wildcat. Thats pretty far for a lower power setup, but not nearly as far as my 700mm 25 Cal setup. You can tune your compact Wildcat to shoot lighter Nielsens just fine, but you wont see the same velocities as a 700mm. So I think it depends on what you want your rig to do. I think my Wildcat is a great slug gun, so far as I stick to the light slugs and shorter ranges.

As far as accuracy goes, the goal is to have enough velocity combined with twist rate to stabalize. Past that you want a good tune that isnt blowing the slug around after it leaves the muzzle. The actual speed has no bearing on accuracy, but it will affect trajectory and wind deflection.