• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wild Cat is Behaving

Knock on wood, or in this case synthetic. Pretty much have the scope and the rifle working in harmony. The Donny FL moderator is an accessory that I would suggest Wildcat owners get for their Wildcat. I had two 'non-gun' people visit while I was shooting. They asked to try the Wildcat and I set them up. Both of them were almost hole in hole bench resting at 25 and 50. I then had them try steel silhouette rats at 75 and 100. They got hits right off the bat. I had been using a tripod and they wanted to try their skill with that. Almost the same results. I was amazed! I guess that has to go to the trigger and the fit and feel of the Wildcat.

I haven't seen this discussed but I think at 15 and 25 the gun can come off the regulator and there is still serious accuracy. I fill to 220 bar and just for experimentation I kept shooting a the closer ranges long after it went off the regulator. Went down to 110 bar when the magazines were all empty. So...if I was shooting pests and they were still fairly close I don't see a reason to recharge the rifle. It shot where it was pointed. I did take a few shots at 100yds and could see the pellet. There was serious drop as it was coming off the regulator.

Just some random experiences I wanted to share.

Well it’s not that I think its bad for anything if you do shoot of regulator. But the rifle is very accurate, with a standard deviation of 3 and an extreme spread of 14. That why would you want any loss of accuracy? I’m filling with a bottle not a hand pump. That’s a 100 yard group of 8. Luck was on my side that day, no wind and a smooth trigger pull. Now if I could just repeat that every time
1532399378_15796437185b568f12390ff3.52328349_77850156-E662-43EF-A35F-790CD185B06D.jpeg

I spoke to someone at AoA and he was adamant that you should never shoot below the regulator setting. I forgot the exact reason why but he pretty serious about it. I think he mentioned that the regulator itself would be damaged and would have to be replaced over a short period of time.

Shooting off the regulator is harmless for the regulator, it will just stay open after reaching that point (regulator piston is not fully compressed anymore)

The thing that happens, is that at a lower pressure the valve is much easier to open.

The back pressure behind the valve gets less, hence it is easier for the hammer to knock the valve open.

Because the high power pcp's often need a serious tension of the hammer spring, the valve will get knocked open all the way, and in FX's case damaging the hole where the valve stem feeds through.

It will kind of swage a burr at the circumference of this hole, which prevents the valve from closing and dumping all air through the barrel.

However, shooting about 10 bar below regulator pressure shouldn't cause any troubles, but a friend of mine shot his bobcat 30 cal (set to 160b reg pressure) down to below 100 bar, and that messed up his gun.

I had to ream out the valve stem guide hole of his action block to remove the burr, and he was back in buisiness again. The valve itself was not damaged.

In a nutshell, it is indeed not advisable to shoot below regulator pressure, and the regulator is there for a reason you are not making use of anymore by doing that?

Well said weatherby. Thats how I understand it also. On that same subject would you say the Impact would be immune to this problem if the valve travel adjuster is appropriately set? Might damage the rubber ball in there a little more but should save the valve?

Exactly:)

The Swedish and UK lower power models are even restricted by making use of the valve stop and a low regulator pressure. With these versions, the valvestop is a non-adjustable one which is preset from the factory.

With other words, on those versions the valve can barely open, regardless of the hst power setting.

However, with the Impact there is a chance that you might damage the cocking pin on the sliding block in case of maximum HST and a valve stop which is turned all the way out, beyond 4 lines on the adjuster. The valve overshoots in that case, and the hammer can hit and bend the cocking pin. But the valve and regulator will be safe with a properly adjusted valve stop.

I totally concur. Firing an airgun off-reg can damage the valve. It is definitely NOT recommended and will void the warranty. Stop this practice immediately! A technician can easily detect if the gun was fired off-reg. The system is designed to operate under a minimum pressure to keep the valve stable to prevent damage, Having said this, if you haven't dropped below 110 bar, you should be alright as there is a fair amount of engineering fudge factor. It is expressly stated in the WC owner's manual: DO NOT FIRE THE GUN BELOW 150 BAR!! That warning is there for a reason. When all else fails, READ THE FREAKIN' INSTRUCTIONS!! :)

Some believe its better for the reg to depressurize it when not in use and recommend shooting a few pounds below reg pressure before putting it away. The thinking is like keeping a springier un cocked or not under pressure,less spring fatigue as regs use washers like springs. The manuals that came with my 2 fx rifles says nothing about shooting below the reg pressure and recommends storing them between 50 and 200 bar.