• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why to wear safety goggles...

Hello,how does a direct hit of a pellet affect your own eye and can a pair of safety-goggles completely protect us from it?In this video I shoot a pair of goggles several times directly with my air rifle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxkpJtfw3uE You could help me beyond that. YouTube rated my video as non-advertisable. This happens when the YouTube bot assumes that something illegal is shown in the video. A YouTube employee will only check my request for activation if 1000 viewers access the video within a week. It's just a few cents that I get for it, but it's a matter of principle!It would be really great if you would support me and call up the video. It should be mentioned that the video is also worth seeing ;-)I would be very happy about a comment underneath the video and a like if you like it. Have fun watching, and be careful ;-) Many greetingsAndi

I totally agree. I was out with my Ben. Marauder a while ago shooting a target 10 or 20 yard out. I wasn't using a pellet trap. Just shooting a piece of MDF board if I remember right. Nothing unusual about the weather or ground conditions. It wasn't cold, so ground wasn't frozen but a lead pellet bounced and did a complete 180 and flew right past me. I know because it hit my house and I went and found it. I thought lead pellets wouldn't ricochet but they will. It must have hit a rock just right to come back like it did.

Andi is using steel BBs in this vid. Watch at 8:15

I don't need to watch your video to know how well safety glasses work. I'm a carpenter and have had nails and such flung at my face while cutting through lumber. The pieces that hit flesh cut/burn, the ones that hit my glasses bounce off but scare me none the less. I wear glasses for vision and make sure the lenses are wide/big and made of poly-carbonate so I don't have to change them depending on conditions.

great!
You're much further along than many of my fellow shooters. Especially in Germany it is really rare to see someone wearing protective goggles at a competition. I hope to change that with my video. Not that my video is supposed to be so educational, but a lot of people report their experiences in the comments. It is important to raise the issue alone. 
Have a nice weekend!
Andi

Well, we are sending projectiles downrange. While hearing protection may not be as necessary as with powder burners, eye protection is a must. Ricochets, and the really unexpected are always a risk. Unexpected example, while at the range with my PB Browning Buckmark, it literally blew up in my hand. It's a 22LR, with plastic some plastic internals I didn't know about. (Browning, really??) Browning did change one of the parts to Steel since my gun was manufactured. May have gotten a hot round but that shouldn't have happened. Plastic disintegrated. No injury, but I was happy to be wearing safety equipment just in case, and similar things can happen to air rifles.

Consider that PCP's are using 3000 PSI tanks or more. One of those cuts loose, they can do some damage. Ricochets, even forgetting to correctly lock the bolt down on some rifles presents a risk.

You only get one set of eyes, might as well protect them for a lifetime of shooting.

I wanted to relay another safety glasses story....not really airgun related, but eye ball related.

I am restoring a 1963 VW Bug, think body off pan....think if it was not a 63 I would not bother.....really just something to do and spend money on.

Anyhoo.....

I have just welded in an inner rear chunk to the fender......and I have my eyes closed and running my hand over the welds. Now let me say I am not really a welder, I am a grinder....that means my welds suck and I spend more time grinding then welding.

So back and forth with the grinder getting something that will never be seen smooth.....I am wearing safety glasses and grinding away. I actually feel something hit my cheek and bounce into my eye. I know right away what happened....it went around the little shield and everything was just right to make it into my right eye. This is on Sunday so no eyeball DR is open. So I live on rum and coke, as this BLANK hurts.

Go to Dr, Monday and they put a numb drop in my eye....oh boy did that feel good....The nice nurse would not give me a bottle as she said it would eat your eye....She had a pretty thick Czech accent...that always adds 2 to the hottness scale....hay I am an old man let me enjoy the pretty young girls......

So I do have a chunk of metal in my eye, just outside my view....if I "look for it" I can see a fuzzy spot, but I was pretty lucky....when the Dr. dug the fragment out....and DUG is the correct word as your eye will layer over the object.....and if it is metal it will start to rust, and that causes other issues.

So yea I am a big fan of wearing eyes now....in the shop it is goggles. On the range....glasses as I am blind as a bat.