• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why No Electronic Triggers?

So before getting too deep into this, a little background....

I'm new to air guns, sort of. Back in my youth I played ALOT of paintball. My favorite marker was the "Ego" made by Planet Eclipse. The Ego was (and probably still is) the pinnacle of marker technology. Among other things it had a hybrid optical/micro-switch trigger. You could program it to fire with either the switch (which was exactly like a mouse-click) or by optical sensor. The optical method was infinitely adjustable to the user's preferences. The trigger actuated an electronic solenoid which controlled air-flow into the bolt/chamber. The paintball was propelled by regulated compressed air similar to PCP air guns. This type of trigger has been in use for at least ten years (I've owned two 2007 model Ego markers & both had this trigger).

Another thing to consider is how rugged this marker/system was. A typical day of paintball was 2-4 THOUSAND rounds down range. I would play 2-3 days a month. Thats 50,000+ rounds a year on the low end. The marker was also capable of 20+ rounds per SECOND with no loss of power. Maintenance was minimal, just keep it cleaned & lubed and it ran like a raped ape. Seriously, the friggin' things were damn near perfect. I was not gentle with it either. I played hard, and these guns got dropped, kicked, fallen on, shot point-blank, dropped & kicked again. Never really had a serious issue.

So I guess my question is: Why no similar trigger/solenoid systems in the pellet gun market? I notice Tippman, maker of fine paintball markers, also makes pellet guns. Is there something I'm missing? I ask mostly because its a robust, proven technology that, I think, would make at least some guns better. I know a few high-end competition manufacturers have them (Steyr), but they're rare.

Thoughts?

Here is a little food for thought.

Expense has already been mentioned, but that is a biggy to be sure. And, electronic triggers require battery power. Sooner or later, the battery must be replaced or recharged, and ALWAYS when you least expect it. 

Daystate has several models which use so-called electronic triggers as noted. In reality, it isn't the trigger per sé, it is the valve that is "electronic" in nature (electromagnetic). There is an issue with them too, as the state of the battery's charge determines how the valve will operate. Even though the Daystate's technology is very good, they still have issues with timing resulting in a wider spread of velocities when the battery gets weak. Not impossible to overcome, but expensive. 

Sometime in the future, some manufacturer will apply piezo electronics to an airgun valve, and once again revolutionize the industry. However, here too, the technology is expensive, just more so. There are other issues too, but these are enough to slow the adoption of electronically controlled airguns.

With the recent introduction of adjustable regulation and balanced valving, airguns have achieved a level of velocity consistency heretofore only wished for. These facts will further delay any electronic evolution to occurs, at least in the near future. 

I know a field target shooter who made his own electronic trigger for his bullpup springer. The first stage turns on the solenoid, the second stage is the "switch" that releases the sear. Because the switch is only on when the first stage is engaged, it uses very little power. He has had the same battery pack in it for three years(2AA).

The Daystate Pulsar and Air Wolf MCT have that mouse click electronic trigger system you're looking for, but they are high end guns.

There is still a stigma out there that air rifles are "toys" that should not cost as much as we're paying for an FX or Daystate rifle. This forum seems to have a higher percentage of shooters with higher end precision rifles but if you go to most other air gun sites it skews heavily towards springers and budget PCP.

I put an electric trigger on a bullpup 10 22. It goes a couple thousand shots or more on the lithium battery, actually I've never been able to run it dead between charges.

I would think any bullpup that relies on a trigger bar is a good candidate for the electric trigger.

I don't think I had over forty bucks or so in it. Finding the right solenoid is the key, and having a place to hide it in the gun.

What are the benefits of an electric trigger?

I have some good and not so good triggers on my guns, but the trigger on my DS Airwolf is the best.

Crisp and light and adjustable and dependable. The improved lock time means I have less time to wave the barrel around before the pellet leaves it.

I've just bought a new battery for mine after 5 years ($40-eek!) but I have not had to mess with sears and springs and lubes and stuff during that time.

Electronic triggers on bullpups are a no-brainer.

Edit: Having the electronics also means that the pressure in the bottle can be measured and used to program the power and dwell time of the solenoid.

This means that a regulator is not required to give consistent shots, and also means the rifle can be simply set to different powers.

crisp, light, adjustable, and dependable also describe well-made mechanical triggers so that's not something that is exclusive to electronic ones. less maintenance is a bonus but i've never had to mess with sears and springs as a matter of course. improved lock time is nice but that's not a huge deal to me-I would probably never notice it. eliminating the regulator and making adjustments to the solenoid is cool, I hadn't thought of that.

"MarkUK"What are the benefits of an electric trigger?

I have some good and not so good triggers on my guns, but the trigger on my DS Airwolf is the best.

Crisp and light and adjustable and dependable. The improved lock time means I have less time to wave the barrel around before the pellet leaves it.

I've just bought a new battery for mine after 5 years ($40-eek!) but I have not had to mess with sears and springs and lubes and stuff during that time.

Electronic triggers on bullpups are a no-brainer.

Edit: Having the electronics also means that the pressure in the bottle can be measured and used to program the power and dwell time of the solenoid.

This means that a regulator is not required to give consistent shots, and also means the rifle can be simply set to different powers.
Here's the thing- Its a proven technology. I get the whole "If it aint broke...." argument, I really do. But having used these trigger/solenoid systems in the field, really beat on them, and seen how well they work, I feel its a legitimate question. 

Efficiency- This community is fanatical about shot counts, i.e. the most efficient use of air for the most consistent shot string. Taking into account how very precise electronics can be, mechanical regulators are stone-age technology. Granted, most paintball markers are mechanically regulated, but the solenoid setup took that 850 psi & 'sipped' it even more efficiently.

Weight- The Ego trigger mech literally weighed nothing, and we all know that ounces = pounds & pounds = pain. I know you bench rest guys are gonna chime in, but really, not the same argument.

Trigger customization- infinitely adjustable. Those Ego triggers were butter. The "crisp break" of a mouse-click MUST be felt to be understood. 

Battery argument is a non-starter. Throw an extra 9 volt in your pocket. The marker would tell me when the battery was running low, I never had it run dry on me. Also understand I would NEVER advocate for this technology on a firearm where lives depended on it. Air guns are not in that arena.

So all Im saying is- Proven technology that would make most air guns better. Why not? 

The Daystate Air Wolf with the Heliboard is the easiest to adjust power over any other rifle I have heard of. As for the the trigger, it is also great but my RAW is on par with it. I also would say precision airguns have better triggers than most stock powder burners.
Electronic guns scare people. They scared me for a period. My thoughts were if the electronic guts go bad in the long term....... Where conventional parts can be reproduced by many. I purchased a Heliboard for the Air Wolf so essentially I have a spare board.

The Ego was completely user serviceable & modular. The trigger mech was basically a micro-switch. Not cheap, but not super expensive either. Basic "remove & replace" operation. The thing is, in 100,000+ rounds (2 different markers) I never had anything fail other than a break-beam breach sensor. That was $20 & 5 minutes of work.

I understand market inertia vs. new technology. Just surprised it isnt more of a thing, being so similar to their paintball brethren.

I prefer a mechanical trigger over an electronic one any day! If you've ever shot match rifles, you know those triggers can be adjusted up to the point they can be fired by touching them with a hair. I own several match rifles or rifles with match grade triggers and they just work! A shooting buddy of mine has a Daystate Wolverine which can be adjusted through electronics, but I've heard that 'BEEP BEEP BEEP' sound once to often for my taste. But that's my personal opinion. 

"BigsStick"So before getting too deep into this, a little background....

I'm new to air guns, sort of. Back in my youth I played ALOT of paintball. My favorite marker was the "Ego" made by Planet Eclipse. The Ego was (and probably still is) the pinnacle of marker technology. Among other things it had a hybrid optical/micro-switch trigger. You could program it to fire with either the switch (which was exactly like a mouse-click) or by optical sensor. The optical method was infinitely adjustable to the user's preferences. The trigger actuated an electronic solenoid which controlled air-flow into the bolt/chamber. The paintball was propelled by regulated compressed air similar to PCP air guns. This type of trigger has been in use for at least ten years (I've owned two 2007 model Ego markers & both had this trigger).

Another thing to consider is how rugged this marker/system was. A typical day of paintball was 2-4 THOUSAND rounds down range. I would play 2-3 days a month. Thats 50,000+ rounds a year on the low end. The marker was also capable of 20+ rounds per SECOND with no loss of power. Maintenance was minimal, just keep it cleaned & lubed and it ran like a raped ape. Seriously, the friggin' things were damn near perfect. I was not gentle with it either. I played hard, and these guns got dropped, kicked, fallen on, shot point-blank, dropped & kicked again. Never really had a serious issue.

So I guess my question is: Why no similar trigger/solenoid systems in the pellet gun market? I notice Tippman, maker of fine paintball markers, also makes pellet guns. Is there something I'm missing? I ask mostly because its a robust, proven technology that, I think, would make at least some guns better. I know a few high-end competition manufacturers have them (Steyr), but they're rare.

Thoughts?

Here is my theory...

Paintball is played mostly by fairly young dudes. Those dudes end up working for companies that make paintball guns, or start their own company.
Airguns are mostly used by the middle aged to older dudes. So are the dudes that make them.

Products made buy some "punk" will look more "modern" and "advanced", than a product made by some old geezer. LOL.

Just look at any action sport. The stuff they come up with is always using the latest and greatest in technology, and is always made by youngsters that actively practice the sport or just retired from it.

Another reason could be that manufacturer simple try to sell the "old" technology for as long as they can.

Anyhow, I personally would like to see more technology in airguns. For example: A build in range finder that automatically rises and lowers the scope. More about that in a dedicated thread I start... : )

Kmd

"Jonnes"I prefer a mechanical trigger over an electronic one any day! If you've ever shot match rifles, you know those triggers can be adjusted up to the point they can be fired by touching them with a hair. I own several match rifles or rifles with match grade triggers and they just work! A shooting buddy of mine has a Daystate Wolverine which can be adjusted through electronics, but I've heard that 'BEEP BEEP BEEP' sound once to often for my taste. But that's my personal opinion.
Agree to this

From 2010 Hiccups start ! http://www.straightshooterschat.com/showthread.php/318-Daystate-Grand-Prix
Pictures from 2011 here: https://www.airrifle.co.za/threads/18335-The-Daystate-electronic-air-rifles-de-mystified-Review

...was never a fan of electronics as already mentioned...would the gun stand the test of time ? ..and how do you self service them ? and what about parts ? or if the company no longer has the parts or goes defunct ? ...do I need an electrical engineering degree simply to tinker on them ? These pics are an eye opener..and am still mystified as much as the author wants to "demystify" the electronics...

6a8254e8a30aa221bc553f05802d284c.jpg

36a8283c917867c7eada61e0c15b444f.jpg

e4b9a68d8baf817c4ae749aff0e405ca.jpg

fa16e54b8991c309c3f60681fdeab231.jpg

d2bf8e09af3dad14824cb870ec3c3af2.jpg

3bc47219336e15d915395a8ba917b810.jpg

1abf2bc7bfc4e436515cdc2c47a151f4.jpg

c14d888cffb76a19424f54b6900d4066.jpg

c1261717fd620b1b73457763a6dba1ee.jpg

086117fcc088f5524f699a1d005d4c42.jpg

ced648fbddb47f41afd33616c6ec275c.jpg

10120963764814ee5f5a9021a7f9f469.jpg