• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why a Chronograph ?

People are to concern about ES lately, i understand chronograph is a needed to tune your gun or to see how fast you shooting but you always need to find the best pellet for your gun.

For example my Steyr LG 110 can shoot 0.5" groups at 50 yards with CPH 10.5 and ES 24 FPS but with JSB 10.3 and 13FPS ES over 1" groups (ES taken over 40 shoots string)

So pellet that got bigger ES is more accurate? how is that possible? From my experience I think it is

B

"you always need to find the best pellet for your gun."

Yup.....IMHO, the bottom line is to use the most accurate brand of pellet as decided by a particular gun. LOL, that MIGHT have nothing to do with ES.

As an example, when I first started airgunning with a .177 Beeman R9 decades ago the pellet that gave the most consistent MV was the cheap Beeman Bear "Cups", however it gave the poorest grouping compared to other brands I was shooting. That's a rather interesting pellet because the pellet I ordered and received was the "Bear Cub", however the name printed on the tin was Bear Cup. Kinda wish I kept that tin because I'm thinking that a Bear Cup tin would be collectable and worth a few coin.

ES is more an issue for longer range center fire shooters and reloaders in my opinion. I’ve tested this with my airguns. I’ve had some wild velocity spreads while maintaining accuracy. I posted some of it on another forum and one of the big names guys that shoots competitively said he’s experienced the same like what you’re talking about. Now sometimes ES can hint at a seal problem but if my seals are good I don’t use ES in anyway really. It would be nice and I’m always happy when I get done with a tune and I’m shooting tight ES but that’s about it just pride.