• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Who’s the King of 100?

As serious as some take it to be…it’s still run in a fun shoot format. It doesn’t need to be….but it is because that’s what the majority of attendees enjoy. If that’s what you like, good for you.

I just wanted to see if there were shooters interested in doing it by the recognized proper formats of long established BR. If not….no big deal. It would not be a match for everyone. It would only focus on shooting and doing the most possible to find the best shooter in attendance.

The discussion may be moot, anyway. It doesn’t look like there will be an open weekend at the Whittington center next year that will likely work…and I can’t see a reasonable way of holding it along with the N50 Nationals at the end of August.

Mike

I am all in, anytime. I am playing with a new laser engraver (sharks not included) - attached is my humble hack of a logo. I will be happy to support you in any way I can.

k100.1638413660.png

Very cool Logo. Nothing says you can’t have fun and shoot a serious match at the same time. If you’re not having fun, why are you there right? I’m definitely interested, whatever the format

Maybe Rio Salado in Phoenix would be open. They have 40 benches at the small bore range. Or Garth Killpat in Utah. 

I might be a little out of my league here… but a true competitor first of all is striving to better himself in his chosen discipline and to compete with fellow shooters that are doing the same, consistency is the main way to achieve this goal, to do so means having a standardized set of rules and regulations, and as many of these standardized events as possible to truly see how you stack up against your competitors.

If you do this it will show your strengths, weaknesses and give you a opportunity to learn from the shooter’s that are consistently shooting better scores!

Sure At the end of the season have a championship, with multiple cards, relays, rotate benches etc. give away some prizes and awards. But also have running scorecard of all the events for the year or season.

In the end it must be fun and enjoyable or why do it! 

As serious as some take it to be…it’s still run in a fun shoot format. It doesn’t need to be….but it is because that’s what the majority of attendees enjoy. If that’s what you like, good for you.

I just wanted to see if there were shooters interested in doing it by the recognized proper formats of long established BR. If not….no big deal. It would not be a match for everyone. It would only focus on shooting and doing the most possible to find the best shooter in attendance.

The discussion may be moot, anyway. It doesn’t look like there will be an open weekend at the Whittington center next year that will likely work…and I can’t see a reasonable way of holding it along with the N50 Nationals at the end of August.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Don't give up on your idea, even though Whittington may be out. Easy for me to say I know, but your idea has a lot of interest and followers. At a minimum a lot of participants shooting N50 might like to have the proposed N100 / K100 re-sized targets hopefully. We could test them out and do an analysis in 2022. 

If 2022 is not possible, I would think 2023 is wide open for a K100 event!

I would love to see this held at Garth Killpack in UT... It is only a few miles away. Problem is that there are only 20 benches, so it would not be possible to shoot with everyone on the same relay. I think a major requirement is for all the competitors shoot on the same relay. There is no doubt that there would be more than 20 shooters.

Rio Salado is really nice. It might be able to handle the group if it is not advertised too heavily. The club there knows how to put on a great tournament.

Ben Avery (just north of Phoenix) might be another one to consider. If I remember right, they have about 65 benches.

--Jim

When I read the response from Steve below, it perfectly defined for me my frustration with the EBR targets.

Then you add in the two other random factors which are bench selection, and wind during your relay…

I could live with the target size because everyone else has to deal with it, but why? Why not use a target size that’s appropriate for the distance and the equipment? And yes I understand there would be logistical issues by making the target size bigger. Those logistical issues can be solved by smart people like mike n.

I think this is a great idea, and a great discussion. I think there are things in this discussion that EBR could look at using as a refresher for their competition. professional golfers shoot hole in ones on TV every year…Yet there’s no hole in one contest to see who is the best at it…And it would be pretty boring to watch, other than the highlight films. It’s way too random.

Mike’s idea completely removes the random factors. And if you put it on a target size that makes sense for the equipment, it would be much more enjoyable. And as Mike said it would also tighten the pack.

mike

3A538E5C-D072-46D2-9DBE-7C242D7A573B.1640964237.jpeg

I forgot to mention flyers, HUGE flyers using 22 cal 25gr MRD's. I've hummed along with what should have been a respectable card, and WOW all of a sudden one shot would totally destroy the score. Last RMAC I had two such flyers on a card, one in the 5 ring at 7 oclock and another massive flyer that hit 7"-ish low and 4" left, this pellet hit almost sideways as shown by the oblong tear in the paper??!! It was smokey/smoggy/dusty during the match which somewhat obscured my view of the target and it actually took me a while to even see where exactly I missed at. And at that point I was so frustrated I didn't even care if I stayed at the match or not since I wasn't shooting well anyway! BTW these were sorted pellets.

I assume at EBR and RMAC, the airgun dealers that use these targets have bought a huge quantity of them so its in their best interests to keep using them even though I think they were originally designed around 75Y BR. Someone is going to win so these targets are fine by them. The 100Y BR event is only one part of these big events so....

Using pellets I feel darn lucky to have shot some high 30's and one 244 during practice on very low wind days and even then had some what I'd call small-ish flyers. What I'd personally rather do for a K100 is ditch pellets altogether and have a slug match instead because shooting pellets at 100Y can be so frustrating.

I’m with you Steve. I have no personal interest in shooting pellets at 100y. They are the least appropriate tool for the job I would like to see a properly run 100y pellet competition, though. Maybe it could just be an unlimited match where you could shoot what you want? Slugs and pellets seem to garner similar scores on the 100y EBR thread. 

Mike 

@Steve123 @Flintsack

All of that target size and lane selection whining is nonsense. Everyone shoots the same targets and has an equal shot at relay and lane drawings. Part of the skill in the bench shooting discipline is the ability to read condition of wind and terrain and make appropriate adjustments for those conditions.

If standardization and accross the board fairness is your goal, you need to take your competions indoors, provide every gun used and every pellet fired and assure that lighting, temperature and the muszak playing are all the same for everyone during every round. Short of that, there will always be variable effects. This is not only the case in our sport, but in ALL sports. Part of the skill, the greatest and most important part, is the ability to prepare and adjust to any eventuality. That' not an opinion, it's an objective reality.

The sport of Benchrest shooting is about reading the wind. It’s very ignorant to think that a BR range is similar from end to end. It can be orders of magnitude more difficult in certain places. That’s the reason behind bench rotation, multiple cards, and single relays run on adequately sized ranges. The goal of a BR match is to determine who is the best shooter. The shooter that does the best from all the positions is the best shooter. You can never remove all the variables….but minimizing them is only sensible. 

Mike

Hodouh 

from the discussions I’ve had with folks who have shot the match numerous times, there are lanes that you simply can’t win from. With a one card match, you are done before you start.

there are ways to take the advantages versus disadvantages of some lanes out of play. See Mike’s response:

The sport of Benchrest shooting is about reading the wind. It’s very ignorant to think that a BR range is similar from end to end. It can be orders of magnitude more difficult in certain places. That’s the reason behind bench rotation, multiple cards, and single relays run on adequately sized ranges. The goal of a BR match is to determine who is the best shooter. The shooter that does the best from all the positions is the best shooter. You can never remove all the variables….but minimizing them is only sensible. 

Mike