• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Who needs a PCP

VERY nice shooting, Windmill. Coke can @ 80m with an inexpensive springer is just awesome. I hope I'll get to that point with my NP2!

DO NOT give up on that Trail, unless some parts are worn out that are not realistic to replace. You've gone to all that work to break it in properly.

Take this opportunity to upgrade the barrel pivot washers to brass and tighten it up, and to improve the trigger. Replace the piston seal and breech seal, and put 'er right back into service, alongside her baby brother!

Thanks Smaug, most of the work was done by the Trail, it has always been accurate since the first day I bought it home. I did the trigger upgrade on both my Trails many months ago (I used the small bearing) and it did make a significant difference especially on the 22.
I have replaced everything except the gas ram. I have worked it out to be the cocking foot, it's very loose along with the linkage from the barrel to the foot. It's almost impossible to cock the conventional way because it jams and grinds, but if I turn it upside down I am able to cock it. There's a guy here in Australia who has a business called Customairseals.com who makes quality numerous items like seals, springs and gas rams for all manner of air rifles. Without him I wouldn't have got this much fun out of my Trails. 
Yes I agree with you about the performance of a relatively cheap springer. I have bought a Walther LGU in 22 but it won't arrive in Aussie land until late January, so I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I'll keep you posted on its performance.

You're going to love that Walther. I'm betting it'll shoot as well or better than your Trail, but without as much consistency needed in your hold. Fit & finish will be in another league and will probably be built to last for more rounds as well.

I look forward to seeing more of your videos; I subscribed to your new YouTube channel.

By the way, I just picked up a .22 Benjamin Summit NP2 a little while ago. The Summit is the Trail, but with a conventional stock instead of thumbhole. If you ever get the hankering for a magnum-power gas piston springer with a nice built in moderator, you might check it out. The Walther will shoot better without putting any work into it, but won't deliver 23 FPE at the muzzle.

I wanted to buy the NP2 when it first came out but it wasn't allowed into Aussie land. We are not allowed to have moderators or suppressors on our fire arms. I made enquiries if Crosman would build a version with a normal barrel but no such luck. So it looks like the summit will be off my shopping list as well. I might buy another Trail in 177 again as they shoot so flat. But I enjoy the challenge of working out the fall of the pellet in 22.
I was reading the posts regarding scope graveyard and I have had the same problem. I had a Beeman RS1 a couple of years ago and it killed not only the Beeman scope that came with it but 4 other various scopes until it died. The spring was replaced under warranty in its first year. I reckon I put over 20k pellets through it before it died. It was extremely hold sensitive but very accurate for a rifle made in China. 
I am useing Nikko Stirling Gold Crown Air King 4-12*42AO scopes on my Trails and they still killed these. Luckily the manufacturer honers its warranty as I have had 4 of these scopes replaced. I have ordered a Leapers scope for the Walther so I hope that will work out ok. The guy on the video was correct about quality scopes but I have a problem forking out up to 3 times the cash then it cost to buy the Trail for a scope that could die as well.
Good luck with your Summit I'm keen to see how accurate it will be. I thought the NP2 was getting on the border line of accuracy associated with the FPE it was said to have. Lets us know how she goes.

"Windmill01" The guy on the video was correct about quality scopes but I have a problem forking out up to 3 times the cash then it cost to buy the Trail for a scope that could die as well.
Good luck with your Summit I'm keen to see how accurate it will be. I thought the NP2 was getting on the border line of accuracy associated with the FPE it was said to have. Lets us know how she goes.
Bummer about the silenced NP2s not being legal down under. Don't worry though, once the fat cats at Crosman get hungry for more free revenue, they'll make a model specifically designated for your market. ;)

Best I've done so far has been 0.33" 5-shot group, rested, from 14 yards. (with PolyMag Shorts!) It seems to shoot as well or better from a field position as it does from a proper rest, which is fine for me, except that we don't have a benchmark for just what it is capable of. Even so, I can tell you that it is not going to rival my TX200, HW30s, Marauder, or Compatto for accuracy. In the end, it is still a magnum springer, so we know we're giving up some accuracy for power.

I'm hoping for 1" @ 35 yards, but might have to settle for 1.5" If so, it'll be relegated as the cannon of my arsenal, and be kept for heavy-duty plinking and for bigger pests, like raccoons and opossums, inside 20 yards.

Anyway, you've got a Walther coming. Put Benjis out of your mind. It's a different class of airgun. Like going from a fussy beater car that you were fond of but finally rusted out to a new reliable car. :) Or old pair of shoes.

It sounds like you do a HELL of a lot of shooting, too. You shoot as many thousands as I shoot hundreds, hehehe.

I used to buy my pellets from Owens Guns in Gympie and most of the time they wouldn't have the H&N's that I used in my Trails. A round trip is 115 clicks to Gympie so I started buying them on line, they get delivered to the door and always have what I want. I shoot most days, its like a relaxation therapy for me. I either punch holes in paper on my 25 and 40 metre range or shoot targets like the coke cans and other items. I sometimes can shoot a few hundred pellets a day. We live in the bush so it's a lot of fun. 
The groups you are talking about are basically the same as my Trails, on a good day I can usually put 10 pellets inside a 5 cent piece (about the size or your thumb nail).
Its funny that various air rifles like certain holds etc, my Trails are the same they don't like being rested on a sand bag but shoot very accurately when I lean against something and rest the cocking slot on my thumb with my pointer finger in the grove of the cocking slot. Sounds a bit rude doesn't it.
The groups you are talking about and considering the grunt your cannon has I reckon that's pretty good, you'd be able to dispatch most small pests humainly with with that accuracy. Have a good day.

"Windmill01"G'day Tom, I buy my stuff from acme-firearms.com.au. I live in the bush in Queensland and I have found these guys to be very reasonable. Im not sure of the laws in Victoria but you may need your fathers licence to obtain gear from these guys. 
Good hunting, as one one the guys in America posted to you it's a great hobby.
As long as I pay him the money he will be fine with it I hope. 

Thanks tom .:)