Who is using a Point and Shoot camera with View Finder?

"Regarval"RusBear's scope cam set up comes with the Cool Box camera similar to the GoPro, I was wondering if I can use my GoPro instead the CoolBox.
I see. Instead of "Can I", you said "I can". Duh, I should have known better. My mistake, sorry. Anyhow. I asked RusBear for pricing and he wrote back:

RusBear’s ScopeCam has 2 variants:Standard version allows you to shoot as you normally do and record very good quality video: 720p 120fps, 1080p 60fps, 2K 30fps and 4K 30 fps.
Top version allows you to shoot as you normally do and record excellent quality video: 720p 200fps, 1080p 120fps, 2K 60fps and 4K 30 fps.
Every version includes RusBear’s ScopeCam (Mount + Camera), charger, additional splash proof case back door, Top version has + remote control.The price is fixed and for standard version is 300 USD, for top version – 450 USD. Shipping is not included, but worldwide shipping is possible.

When I asked him if I could use my own GoPro he said:

There is no sense in purchase without camera, because you will not get quality picture from the scope. I change several components in the camera to achieve high quality picture result.

After that, I was done with RusBear. Nothing against him, don't get me wrong, but I am not going to pay for a knock-off GoPro camera as part of the deal, when I already have a ton of GoPros. Besides, I really doubt that he had to "enhance" the performance of the cameras to make the image look good...

Discovery Optics Adapter. May not serve your viewfinder quest but far cheaper than Eagle and possibly more effective (most viewfinders have a lag and VERY low res). I have a Samsung S7 phone and ordered that specific mount for $10. I measured my eye-bell and it was 45mm wide so just ordered the 43-48mm tube, about $69 total.

Works great. No scraches or screws, it uses a ring that is tightened externally in line to the scope (not against it); this action compresses an internal nylon ring around the entire tube. To adjust for eye relief the second half of the unit has a secondary sliding tube and one just torques that down. Phone has to be removed from your personal case and snapped into proprietary case for the adapter.

"DuncanHynes"Discovery Optics Adapter. May not serve your viewfinder quest but far cheaper than Eagle and possibly more effective (most viewfinders have a lag and VERY low res). I have a Samsung S7 phone and ordered that specific mount for $10. I measured my eye-bell and it was 45mm wide so just ordered the 43-48mm tube, about $69 total.

Works great. No scraches or screws, it uses a ring that is tightened externally in line to the scope (not against it); this action compresses an internal nylon ring around the entire tube. To adjust for eye relief the second half of the unit has a secondary sliding tube and one just torques that down. Phone has to be removed from your personal case and snapped into proprietary case for the adapter.
Man, how come I did not know about the Discovery Optics Adapter??? I bought the Eagle Vision Cam mount, and it came with this "3 screw fixating thing", which was really lame. I ended up getting the universal scope mount adapter (or whatever it is called) and it works the same the Discovery Optics Adapter works. It goes over the scope and you tighten the outside ring. However, on the Eagle Vision Cam mount you still have to use the "3 screw thing" to adjust the second part of the mount. 

I paid $168.95 (including $14 for UPS shipping) and $40 for a used universal mount. That's over $200 bucks for something that I could have gotten for way less. Oh well, it is not the first time I overpaid, ha ha. 

Anyhow, I also got an adapter to use my cell phone. I have the S7 Edge and it works alright. What I do not like about using my phone is, that the phone has two ways of image stabilization. One is software, and the other is mechanical. You can turn off the software part, but not the mechanical part, and that makes it hard to stay on target. I mean, you can, but you have to stay on target for a second or so, and give the image stabilization a change to "follow" and stop. 

Thanks for bringing that mount to my attention!

Kmd

"RusBear"
Besides, I really doubt that he had to "enhance" the performance of the cameras to make the image look good...

Could you please show me the picture that your GoPro takes from your Scope?
Sure. Send me one of your mounts and I will gladly take some footage with my GoPro. We can then compare. 
Can you also show us what modifications you had to do, in order to make the image quality "better"? I mean, there are a ton of cheap action cameras out there, that are basically a knock-off of a GoPro and they work pretty damn good. So did you not make your mount to fit on of those, or even better, a GoPro?

Thanks,

Kmd

"kmd1984"
I emailed SideShot and they said between $200 - $300 bucks. Sounds reasonable to me.

I don't understand your logic. You say that 300 USD is reasonable for you just for mount and 300 USD for ScopeCam complex ready for install and use on your scope with slowmotion camera included is not reasonable? It seems strange for me... Maybe you just have your interest to get sidecam for free and promote it here, as you wrote me, and that is the reason why you write these no sense things here?
"kmd1984"
"RusBear"
Besides, I really doubt that he had to "enhance" the performance of the cameras to make the image look good...

Could you please show me the picture that your GoPro takes from your Scope?
Sure. Send me one of your mounts and I will gladly take some footage with my GoPro. We can then compare. 
Can you also show us what modifications you had to do, in order to make the image quality "better"? I mean, there are a ton of cheap action cameras out there, that are basically a knock-off of a GoPro and they work pretty damn good. So did you not make your mount to fit on of those, or even better, a GoPro?

Thanks,

Kmd
Send you for free? Is that how you do things? :) You will not take any good footage with GoPro or any other action camera in stock because you will have the picture from your scope with 1\4 of the frame size... That's why I've asked you to post here the picture from your gopro just from the behind of the scope... Everything is not as simple as you think.

I will not show you modifications, because it's my manufacturer's technology, or you wanna copy it? Or you want me to share my technical drawing of RusBear's ScopeCam? Also for free? :) :) :)

As for your Galaxy S7. I have the same and it will not allow you to make any good slowmotion video with sideshot. You are unable to record slowmotion video and zoom the picture at the same time - you may check it. The same thing with good quality picture - no way because the original picture from the scope will be 1\3 - 1\2 of the frame, thats mean that you will have to use digital zoom that uses interpolation method and you will loose the quality of the picture!

And you still think that 300 USD just for scope mount is reasonable? ;)

Do you really think that any other action camera in stock can give this quality of picture?

"
I don’t understand your logic. You say that 300 USD is reasonable for you just for mount and 300 USD for ScopeCam complex ready for install and use on your scope with slowmotion camera included is not reasonable? It seems strange for me… Maybe you just have your interest to get sidecam for free and promote it here, as you wrote me, and that is the reason why you write these no sense things here?"

1. I never said that your price makes no sense! What makes no sense is, that you are not willing to sell the mount only, without the camera. That my friend, makes no sense, and that is what I said. 
2. You asked me to send you images/video taken with a GoPro through a scope. I do not have a mount that mounts a GoPro to a scope, so I cannot take images/video and send it to you. That is why I said, "Sure, send me one of your mounts and I will take some video for you." That way we could compare a GoPro video taken with your system, and a video taken with your camera and your system. You know? Comparing apples to apples. THAT was the reason I said, send me one!
3. EVERYONE that tests stuff gets it for free. What, you don't know that? 

"Send you for free? Is that how you do things? 
Yes, that is how I do things. If someone wants me to test their stuff, they need to send it to me for free. Did I ever say that I want to keep it? No. 

"You will not take any good footage with GoPro or any other action camera in stock because you will have the picture from your scope with 1\4 of the frame size… That’s why I’ve asked you to post here the picture from your gopro just from the behind of the scope… Everything is not as simple as you think."
You might be right. I don't know. Like I mentioned it 3 times already. I do not have a GoPro mount so I cannot take any test footage and show it to you... thus, me saying that you should send me one, so we can find out. Wouldn't that actually make sense? Have someone test YOUR mount with a GoPro, so you can say, " See! I told you so! GoPro does not produce the same image quality as my modified camera!"

I will not show you modifications, because it’s my manufacturer’s technology, or you wanna copy it? Or you want me to share my technical drawing of RusBear’s ScopeCam? Also for free? 
Believe me. I am not planning to copy anything. Keep your "company secrets". I never really wanted to know anyway.

As for your Galaxy S7. I have the same and it will not allow you to make any good slowmotion video with sideshot. You are unable to record slowmotion video and zoom the picture at the same time – you may check it.
That is correct, I already tried that myself. 

The same thing with good quality picture – no way because the original picture from the scope will be 1\3 – 1\2 of the frame, thats mean that you will have to use digital zoom that uses interpolation method and you will loose the quality of the picture!
The video I shoot through the scope, using my S7, looks absolutely fine. However, you are correct. I have to use digital zoom, but it doesn't seem to matter. I think that is because you are zooming in on something that is only a few inches away, and not a mile. 

And you still think that 300 USD just for scope mount is reasonable? 
Yes.

Do you really think that any other action camera in stock can give this quality of picture?
I have no idea. All I know is that you r videos do not seem that clear to me. Sorry, but they don't. 

You know what. This is a thread I started. Lets get back to the original subject. Ok?

Thanks,

Kmd

I just uploaded a video where I used my Eagle Vision Cam mount and my S7 Edge. You tell me what you think about the video quality?! Please keep in mind that I did not know how to properly work the phone at the time, so it keeps readjusting focus. I did not realize, that you can simply tap and focus the spot you want to be in focus. : (

EDIT: You can see at the end of the video, that the grass right BELOW the fence line, is really in focus. To me, that is really nice quality footage. It does not look bad at all, considering that I usually zoom in 2.7 - 3.0!!!

"RusBear "RusBear
I watched your video and if there is any fuzzyness in the picture it is likely scope focus from what I see. It looks good. You should modify your mount to accept a Go Pro even if the Go Pro doesn't do a better job (or does for that matter) because there are so many of them out there. That would increase the size of your market substantially.

I like the slow motion feature. Don't let people being critical get you down. Just keep on working on delivering a product that people want.

"kmd1984"I just uploaded a video where I used my Eagle Vision Cam mount and my S7 Edge. You tell me what you think about the video quality?! Please keep in mind that I did not know how to properly work the phone at the time, so it keeps readjusting focus. I did not realize, that you can simply tap and focus the spot you want to be in focus. : (

EDIT: You can see at the end of the video, that the grass right BELOW the fence line, is really in focus. To me, that is really nice quality footage. It does not look bad at all, considering that I usually zoom in 2.7 - 3.0!!!

Frankly you are comparing apples and oranges. He is shooting at 100 meters and doing slow motion video. You are shooting at 30 meters and having trouble with your depth of field. 

"oldspook"
"kmd1984"I just uploaded a video where I used my Eagle Vision Cam mount and my S7 Edge. You tell me what you think about the video quality?! Please keep in mind that I did not know how to properly work the phone at the time, so it keeps readjusting focus. I did not realize, that you can simply tap and focus the spot you want to be in focus. : (

Frankly you are comparing apples and oranges. He is shooting at 100 meters and doing slow motion video. You are shooting at 30 meters and having trouble with your depth of field.
You are taking my video out of context.

I am not comparing my video to his. He said, " As for your Galaxy S7. I have the same and it will not allow you to make any good slowmotion video with sideshot. You are unable to record slowmotion video and zoom the picture at the same time – you may check it."

I told him that I agree with the slow motion part. The slow motion video quality on the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is actually really good! However, he is right, you cannot zoom in, when in slo-mo mode, which sucks when using the phone on a scope. HE then went on and said,

"The same thing with good quality picture – no way because the original picture from the scope will be 1\3 – 1\2 of the frame, thats mean that you will have to use digital zoom that uses interpolation method and you will loose the quality of the picture!"

I disagree on that part, which is why I posted the above video. 

Thanks,

Kmd

You are indeed comparing apples to oranges. You shot a video of a critter at 30 yards and suggested that it was the same thing as trying to shoot video of bullet holes at a hundred meters. His contention that your video frame would be about half full and that you would then have to digitally zoom the image which would not give you the same resolution is correct. Digital zoom operates by enlarging each pixel in the image. Optical zoom doesn’t but you may have known that. If you want to compare apples to apples as you suggest below, get yourself to the range and zoom that phone in on a target at 100 meters and show us the comparison. You will be disappointed.

In regards to part one:
Again. I am not comparing anything. He made a very vague statement, saying that footage shot with a cell phone will not look good. I disagree, and that is why I posted my video, to show him otherwise. The footage looks good, NO? If so, I made my point.

English not being his first language either, maybe he meant that under the same circumstances, video shot with his system, is better than any video shot with a phone? Maybe that is what he meant and what you are talking about. If that is the case, then yes, I agree. Comparing my video with his is not the same. 
That said, any kind of comparison would have to be done by him. He is the one who has his system, I do not have one. I asked him to sent me one for free, so I can do some testing on it, but he took it the wrong way. He thought I am just trying to smooch my way into something free. That is fine with me. : )

Second part: 
I never drove a Tesla, but drove many Porsche before, and I have to agree. Porsche all the way. : )

Third part:
YES, I am language police. Even we make mistakes though. I did not mean Apples to Apples. However, you can compare apples to apples! Just watch the movie "Goodwill Hunting" again and you will understand. : )