• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which springer for squirrel hunting?

I like a 20cal alot but with pellets being hard to find it scares me away. I know 50yds is a poke especially on fast grays. Usually shots are closer. I’ve been using heavy guns so long now for competitions(powder burners) I grab a light rifle and it just fills like I am not as solid as a heavier gun.

Thanks
Jon
.20 cal isn't too hard to find online.

Reactions: FarmPlinker
All I remember about my dads 48 was the shot seemed more harsh to me. It shot good his was a 177 and he didn’t have a scope on it.
My .177 Model 48 had a harsh shot cycle when stock but after putting a Vortek kit in it was just as fast solid thump.Was putting out between 17-18ftlb. I traded it for a tuned HW50s .22 and don't regret it at all, love the HW50. Haven't been able to hunt with it yet due to season now being out.

Reactions: drsquall
I don’t mind cocking with my right hand. They only thing I do left handed is shoot guns,bows, shoot basketball, everything thing else is right handed. Baseball, golf. I know I’m weird. Lol
I'm right handed, cock break barrel springers left handed, kick a football left leg plus a few other things..can shoot a recurve right or left handed, can also shoot trap either way almost equally well, so Im weird right along with you.

Reactions: drsquall
My take based on 40 years of doing so, and tuning a multitude of rifles to do so….Is the HW35 for a number of reasons.
The most important of these being loading. Being able to depress the locking catch, the gun can be closed in total silence. No detent, no ball lock up. Depress the locking bar and close up as if no lock up.
I lost count of the number of squirrel put to flight by the casual action of the clunk caused during loading of most rifles.…including the squirrels in the neighbouring trees you had not even seen yet.

The second reason for my choice (in the case of the 35 grooved forend ) is the groove perfectly meters the hand positioning when shooting up into trees. A vital aid to maintaining hold consistency when aiming at all the different angles. To some extent the HW98 can offer similar aid to hold consistency.
The semi short barrel of both these models is also a boon if in a hide.
The HW98 taking over this choice if above 12 ftlbs and greater range option coming into play….good gun.

HW90 With BSA Red Dot
8F5C9435-DC83-43F5-8EBB-F192668C814D.jpeg

As far as hunting with springers, most of my experience has been with Diana/RWS springers, the 48 and later the 34.

I'm a lefty and the 48 stock is ambi, no issues there. The 48 is heavy, but easy to attach a sling to.

Both of my guns have/had Vortek kits, really smoothed them out.

D48DEUCE09006.jpg

11-25-2011Quadhunt016.jpg

11-03-2014hunt019_zps2de89db5.jpg

10-27-2013Dianas005_zps3043ce40.jpg

The 34 is a TO5 Panther version, and the 48 stock has been "bed linered" makes the stock very scratch proof.

As far as hunting with springers, most of my experience has been with Diana/RWS springers, the 48 and later the 34.

I'm a lefty and the 48 stock is ambi, no issues there. The 48 is heavy, but easy to attach a sling to.

Both of my guns have/had Vortek kits, really smoothed them out.

View attachment 333565

View attachment 333566

View attachment 333567

View attachment 333568

The 34 is a TO5 Panther version, and the 48 stock has been "bed linered" makes the stock very scratch proof
Thanks. I am leaning hard for the 48 in 22

Reactions: SteveV
I just picked up a used D48 in .22 with a born on date of 2004. It is a T05 iteration. The internals were original and the grease was so old it was everywhere and flaking off like failed paint. I cleaned it up and installed a vortek full power kit with piston and breach seal. I’m right handed but shoot lefty and I am quite pleased with this rifle! I took it to the range today and became very comfortable with it in no time. My ”go to” gun for squirrel was my D460 which I also took with me today. I must admit that the 48 was much more comfortable and intuitive to reload. I love the 460 but hate that the anti bear trap release moves forward as the underlever is set to battery. Love the rifle though.
My 48 is scoped and I find it necessary to add a padded cheek riser to have a comfortable sight line to the scope. The 48 stock has a bit of a low comb. I wish they still made the 52 stock available. Buy a quality air rifle and you’ll be happy with you purchase long after the lament of expenditure is gone. Keep it long enough and it will be worth more used than you paid for it. 😎
whatever you do, shoot it much and don’t give up on it. It WILL come to you.

I just picked up a used D48 in .22 with a born on date of 2004. It is a T05 iteration. The internals were original and the grease was so old it was everywhere and flaking off like failed paint. I cleaned it up and installed a vortek full power kit with piston and breach seal. I’m right handed but shoot lefty and I am quite pleased with this rifle! I took it to the range today and became very comfortable with it in no time. My ”go to” gun for squirrel was my D460 which I also took with me today. I must admit that the 48 was much more comfortable and intuitive to reload. I love the 460 but hate that the anti bear trap release moves forward as the underlever is set to battery. Love the rifle though.
My 48 is scoped and I find it necessary to add a padded cheek riser to have a comfortable sight line to the scope. The 48 stock has a bit of a low comb. I wish they still made the 52 stock available. Buy a quality air rifle and you’ll be happy with you purchase long after the lament of expenditure is gone. Keep it long enough and it will be worth more used than you paid for it. 😎
whatever you do, shoot it much and don’t give up on it. It WILL come to you.
I am ready to play with it

Reactions: T-Higgs
Reactions: T-Higgs
My pick as well. It has enough power to reach out to the ends of my abilities (40, maybe 45 yards) under normal hunting circumstances. More importantly for me is that it's light and fairly flat at these distances so hold over isn't as hard as slower calibers. A 177 in the boiler room is better than a 22 in the dirt. Before you 22 guys jump on me, I had a Hw50 in 22, used it and kept the 177 because the 177 worked better for me. Ymmv.
Ron

Reactions: luckybuckeye
All you need is a .177 if squirrels are your only prey. Some Weihrauchs do need an immediate teardown some don’t. There have been many “if you can only have one springer” threads and the HW95/Beeman r9 is always well represented. In the past couple years the HW50s has become really popular and it has all the power you need for squirrels. I have a HW97k .177 and a .22 HW50. The 97k is a chunk to lug around but they both kill squirrels no problem. I wish I would have got the hw50 in .177 instead of .22

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
I have a bit over a dozen air rifles, most are squirrel certified, either one of five of them are excellent choices, an HW-30, HW-95, HW-80K, a Hatsan mod. 95 .22 cal. Springer, and a GAMO Gen 1 Swarm .22 cal. wood stocked Bone Collector, but my dedicated Squirrel getter is my Crosman .177 cal. Vantage NP, it's fairly light, carries nicely, points naturally, is super accurate out to 40 yds. with heavy pellets, at 875fps with a 12.5 gr. pellet it's shooting reasonably flat and getting 20~22 FPE depending on the pellet used.
It's topped with a 3x9x40 AO UTG Hunter scope, the only modification I had to do to it was lighten up the trigger pull, it was terrible out of the box, but 20 minutes of labor and a tiny bearing later produced a smooth 1-1/2 pound trigger, it's the best $119.00 I ever spent, I highly recommend the Crosman Vantage NP or the Crosman Optimus Springer, they both are much higher quality than their price points suggest.

Reactions: Billinoregon