• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which long range scope for RAW. 30?

I'm curious what all the best shooters are using for optics - the EBR site and other competition websites list the rifles used, not the optics. I've got a Athlon Argos BTR on my Renegade, and it's pretty solid in this application. The scope is demeaned pretty heavily in the powder burner world. I've got a RAW in .30 coming next month, and would like to equip it with equally great glass, so I'm leaning Vortex Razor HD. Think that's too much scope?

Many ways to define "best shooter" and you most likely fit. The guys that threads the needle each time on a varmint, or reads the wind, conditions and distance, but may not shoot the best paper group. He is also a best shooter. Some best shooters only ever use one gun and never miss. Your experience and knowledge base probably put you in that category. So go ahead we are all waiting! 

"EBR" is a one of a kind event. You might try looking at benchrest central airguns ( & scopes used sometimes).
Martin keeps a few of the Vortex Viper scopes in stock, just might be worth speaking to him.

LOT's of "100m" - close enough eh? - on non-U.S. site,
http://www.100mairgun.nl/

Maybe some of the SA forums have equipment list also.

John

The Gen II Vortex Razor scopes are like nothing I have ever used. The glass quality far surpasses my VX2 Leupold, the tracking is dead on, range of adjustment is top notch. They cost an arm, a leg, and three fingers from the remaining hand though as Im sure you know if you are shopping for them. There is no chromatic aberration and the color reproduction is near perfect. Being on the other side of the tracks, I have not had the opportunity to try any of the other ones in the image above, but would assume at the price point they are all awesome. In summary, I have never heard of anyone who bought the Razor and was not satisfied. They of course have the standard no questions asked Vortex warranty, as they should considering you could buy a crappy used car for the same price.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on my 6.5 Creedmoor for shooting out to 1000 yards,for the price it's a nice optic.
22811e2137c548736c11b3c3a77fb0a8.jpg

Looks like you already pulled the trigger. I have a Sightron SIII on my RAW. Fantastic 0ptic for the money, and it focuses down to 10 yards. I've never used it for anything below about 40, but its nice to know its there if for some reason I ever needed it. Then there is that Sightron lifetime warranty, which I can attest that they stand behind. I recently had a lower end Sightron go bad. Sent it back to them, and less than a week later I had a brand new one. Unfortunately I sold it a couple of weeks later and Fedex decided to crush it. Now waiting on Fedex claims to pay me for it.

I just received a Vortex Viper PST Gen II with EBR2c reticle. It's not the "Razor" but it's not cheap either. It has the (ED) extra low dispersion glass. It is really really nice. Nicest glass I own by far. Haven't spent much time with it, but the turrets feel amazing, & the reticle is superb. And did I mention that it has a matching reticle & turrets! I'm in the process of converting my scope collection to all Mil/Mil.

f5261c017837746d59ddbe34e945216e.jpg

Since you asked about EBR... last year I placed 11th @ the 100 yard event using a Hawke Sidewinder ED 10-50x60. It has the best glass Hawke offers. I felt most comfortable with it set @ 40x. It's my second best glass.

The rest of my hunters/plinkers wear SWFA SS 3-15x42. Hard to beat for the $. 

Here are some killer deals on the Sig Sauer Whiskey5 5=25x52 scope:

Sig Sauer Whiskey 5 5-25x52 Illuminated HellFire Quadplex MOA Reticle, Model 53001 - $625 on eBay
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sig-Sauer-SOW55001-Whiskey5-5-25x52mm-Illuminated-HellFire-Quadplex-Riflescope-/182543511067

Sig Sauer Whiskey 5 5-25x52 Non-Illuminated HellFire Quadplex MOA Reticle, Model 55003 - $575 on eBay
Link: https://www.ebay.com/p/Sig-Sauer-Whiskey-5-5-25x52-SFP-Side-Focus-Riflescope-30mm-SOW55003/1149186655#ProductDetails

Features:
  • HDX coated glass provides industry leading brightness and extreme optical clarity
  • Side Focus
  • Waterproof IPX-7 rated for complete water immersion up to 1 meter
  • Fog proof
  • Includes one free SBT (SIG Ballistic Turret) custom-lasered elevation dial matched to your ballistics and environmental conditions
Specs:
  • Magnification Range: 5 - 25 x
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 52 mm
  • Scope Turret Adjustment: .25 MOA
  • Reticle Position: Second Focal Plane
  • Tube Diameter: 30 mm
  • Eye Relief: 3.8"
  • FOV: 20.2' - 4' @ 100 yds
  • Weight: 28.2 oz
  • Length: 14.3 in
  • Color: Graphite

"Jabba954"Good points above - I should have said, "The best shooters at 100+ yd paper punching, like those that place at the top of the EBR competition"

Like this one from the Precision Rifle Series (1000+ yd shooting)

Long Range Scopes: What The Pros Use
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/embed/

I would actually use this page, but once you dig deep, some of those scopes have a minimum focal length of 50yds - which is a bit too short for air gun purposes.[/QUOTE]
Those guys made a very nice review about high end scopes.
I'm the owner of scope nr. 4 of this short list, however the thing which worries me most is the line "what do the pro's use?". 
I'd conclude this is a very biased selection because about all pro shooters are heavily sponsored.

About high end scopes which can be parallaxed at 10m, well there aren't many of them around.
Most S&B PMII's, all March scopes, Kahles K1050, some IOR's and that's about it.
I also have a Sightron S3 10-50x50 which also parallaxes down to about 10m, but regardless of it's quality (it is good), I don't consider really as a high end scope, more like a middle class scope.
The Delta Optical scopes (mid tier) here in EU are also very good, especially the 34mm tubed models. (3-24x56, 4.5-30x56 and 5-50x56) These come pretty close to the level of the top contenders regarding glass quality.

My list of quality benchrest competition worthy scopes:

Tier 1 High Power Variable 34mm Scopes:
Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 $3492
Schmidt Bender PMII 12-50x56 $2999
March Optics 8-80x56mm Tactical $2762

Tier 2 High Power Variable 34mm Scopes:
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 $2499
Sig Sauer Tango6 5-30x56 $2499
Sightron SV 10-50x60 $1894

Tier 1 High Power Variable 30mm Scopes:
Kahles K 10-50x56 $2799
March Optics 10-60x52mm $2338