• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

When a nerdy airgun owner get bored and decided to lose a little weight

I absolutely love my dreamtac compact and I have so far changed it more times I could count with different barrels, stock, grips, scopes but eventually I’m back to almost factory setting because I just love the compact design and the light weight. Plus I shoot low power in the back yard so no need for big and bulky anything. Decided to weight it and it’s just over 7lbs scoped which had me thinking, the reason I love it so much is all because how light it is so how do I get it to be even lighter? For reference from factory it’s 5.6lbs so I came up with a goal of sub 6lbs scoped and ready to shoot.

Dug in my airgun cabinet and found a cheap Barra 3-9x scope that weights 14.5 oz, paired that with a set of light weight rings from amazon AND taking off the factory rail and I had savings of about 1lb! Yes! Then I replaced the Mission first adjustable AR stock with 3D printed stock, another 3oz saved! 3D printed moderator, another 4oz saved!

Finally, I was eyeing the should that was covered in camo tape and wondered to myself how can I replace it with carbon tube to save some weight. After stripping the tape the shroud came in at 56 gram which is pretty light but I like carbon so off to amazon I went. With some trials and errors I made a carbon tube shroud with 3D printed ends that weights in at a svelte 35 grams or 21 grams of weight saving!!! Plus I integrated the annoying spacer at the end into the end piece of the shroud, was going to make the shroud shorter but decided to add 5mm to make sure all moderators will clear the air tube. Yes, I got rid of the power plenum too.

E8BD276B-77E9-46A5-8504-1E2DD0C0BF6E.jpeg

In case anyone ask why anyone would waste money and time to save 21 grams the reason is simply, because I can and it’s fun!

After some minor figment/alignment issues it is shooting well and the shroud feels a lot stiffer. I like the look of matte carbon, very happy over all but think I want a better scope. Mostly likely will get an immersive 10x24 scope which has the possibility of saving even more weight with right mount.

Here is the gun with new shroud:
79CF015C-7411-4AAD-B4CD-92010BFD9026.jpeg

I like the reduced weight, scoped and with moderator came in at 5lbs and 14oz.
2A37F00B-860B-44D6-B209-8B51FC309A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Update: well, I really don’t like that scope so waiting for the immersive 10x24 scope to show up. Most likely will put the adjustable MFT stock back on so I can get closer to the eye piece and extend with a scope clip on NV. Hope to stay under 6lbs still, if I don’t need the mounting rails then it’s quite possible. The carbon shrouds seems to be hold up ok but I’ve only shot at 15 FPE a few times.