• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's going on with JSB .22 Jumbo Heavies?

I've been shooting JSB jumbo's in my BSA Buccaneer for three years and found them to be extremely accurate in all weights. A couple of days ago I opened a new tin from a new batch of 18.13 Jumbo heavies and my 10 shot groups went from 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch. To make sure something else was not the problem, I shot another 10 with some rebranded Cometa 18.13 Jumbo heavies and those went under 1/4 at 30 yards. I rang the supplier and he said that he had sold 1/2 a pallet of them and not had any complaints. I measured a few with a micrometer and the heads measured 5.48 mm. I measured the Cometa branded ones at 5.50. They are supposed to be 5.52. The supplier is an FX dealer and said most of his customers were buying them for use in those guns and they must be working OK with them. Anyhow he suggested to try them in something else and if they were no better I could return them. I shot about a hundred through my Walther MaximaThor and I was getting roughly up to about 1/2 inch at 30 yards. Nothing special but acceptable. Has anybody else seen similar results with these, over there in the states? On the label at the bottom where it normally says CZ, it has a code. M 46/08 and the date on the sticker on the back is 28110018.
1537762537_13274985725ba864e99d0123.73539909_JSB 10 shot groups.jpg
 The tins were not beat up and the pellets looked to be in perfect condition.

JSB has been under enormous pressure to fill the demand over the last year, my personal thoughts are that there are only two ways to increase production;

1) Buy and run additional presses and dies

2) Speed up the press rates

Number 2 will lead to a decrease in consistency of course, my advice is to seek out the smaller dealers who may still have 16/17 batches on the shelf!

Personally I think JSB are starting to become victims of their own success as 18 batches of everything seem to be not as good on paper as earlier batches.

It happened to me THREE times already over the years specifically with JSB pellets. Switched to Air Arms labeled JSBs ever since and so far knock on wood all is fine in the world today until Air Arms pellets QC goes down hill too manufactured at the JSB factory too HMMM...

Who knows? Maybe JSB can just put a dimple on top of the heads like the Crosmans, market them as JSB Exact HP (JSBEHP) and sell them cheap at Walmart and Amazon as Crosman did after their PREMIER QC took a dive.

Such a shame, TWO great pellet manufacturers going DOWNHILL! Why do you think TED uses his OLD JSB PELLET STASH?

They sure started off GREAT when they were first introduced.

A NEW pellet manufacturer should step in and come and take a BIG PIECE of the PELLET pie.

CA