• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What would ou recommend?

Waldog

Sep 14, 2020
CA
I'm an old (67) retired High Power and Service Rifle competitor. I also shot Smallbore Prone when I was a kid and the rocks were soft. I never achieved any status, just did it for fun and I love shooting. Years ago I purchased a Weihrauch HW55 to practice offhand at home. It really improved my scores. I'd really like to get an new PCP target rifle strictly for my own enjoyment. I don't see myself doing FT as I have artificial knees and can't shoot the kneeling position anymore.

My budget for the rifle is $2000 or less. I understand pumps and tanks are an added expense. What would you Target Shooters recommend? I'm leaning towards one of the following:

1) Feinwerkbau 800 Basic

2) Feinwerkbau 800 Universal

3) Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution

4) Walther LG400

FX Royale 400 (.22) or FX Royale 500 (.25)! My friend, Mike Bricker, winner of Extreme Benchrest 2019 Sportsman's class has told me "No airgun is more accurate than these FX models ". Simplicity, accuracy, reliability, smoothness, fit & feel, repeatability! What more can one ask for? Virtually maintenance free and shoot lights out straight from the box. Best platform FX ever made. If you want to tinker this IS NOT the gun for that. If you want to compete with confidence, it IS!!! I have the Royale 500 (.25) & Boss (.30, same platform). Sold all my other guns after getting these. They're phenomenal. 

Had to edit, forgot to mention; one of the best triggers around! 

Looks like you like the 10 meter upper end German made lower velocity target guns probably for close range or indoor shooting where power and velocity aren't needed at all.

Looks like you want true competition match grade triggers peep sights too. You could add a red dot or rifle scope later if you want.

I would suggest this one since its not too heavy at just shy of 8 pounds versus 9-10+ pounders that are normally typical of these types of dedicated 10 meter target rifles.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/feinwerkbau-fwb-800-evolution/

Screenshot_2020-09-15-08-53-412.1600197549.png

You can takes the kneeling shots from the standing position in FT. Don't let one lane(If the club near you even has a kneeling lane) keep you from enjoying FT.

I agree with John. Lots of clubs in Calif. Get to a Field Target match and at least try out the rifles before spending $2K. ps Not all clubs use a kneeling lane. 

Thanks for the info guys! Nice to know not all FT matches have kneeling lanes. I'll look into it.. I would be very interested in a FWB 603. I HAD a Anschutz Super Pro 2002 that is very similar to the FWB 603 however, my son is a Service Rifle competitor and, he "latched" onto it. LOL!! Apparently the FWB 603 is it is no longer manufactured. I'll keep looking!

I'm going to suggest something a bit different. If you can find a Daystate Redwolf, MK4 or airwolf MTC electronic rifle and put a Heliboard in it you can have 12 different tunes less than a minute away. You can use it all the way down to sub 5 FPE for hundreds of shots almost silently all winter in the garage and within a literal minute you can shoot 12 or 20 FPE should you decide to shoot FT or HFT. Also unless you are after trophies, many FT groups will happily let you shoot with them in whatever position works for you, albeit with a non credited score. You can have as much fun as anyone, shoot the rest of your life, enjoy the camaraderie, and track your own improvements.

Knees, Schmees. There is a competitive FT shooter who has no hands!

Don't let anything or anyone prevent you from having a great time in the shooting sports.

If you go for a SSP, I would highly recommend the Feinwerkbau 600-603 over the Anschutz. Don't get me wrong the Anschutz 2001 and 2002 Super Air's (they also made a 2002 PCP) are great rifles but parts are a real problem. A friend has a 2002 and it needed a seal replacement. He searched for quite awhile and all he could find was a NOS part which was NOT guaranteed because it was neoprene and subject to degradation (hardening) over time. Luckily it worked. He sold his 2001 (he had both) shortly after and still shoots the 2002.

Conversely, factory FWB parts are readily available, especially the "wear" items that keep it shooting. Their website also has downloadable manuals for their legacy products, Anschutz does not. Do a search for Feinwerkbau on ebay and you will find lots of parts mostly from Nikkonas in Canada, there are also vendors in the US who do service and supply parts. The rifles are easy to work on and there are several online videos to guide you if you are a DIY'er. 

If you go for a SSP, I would highly recommend the Feinwerkbau 600-603 over the Anschutz........ factory FWB parts are readily available, especially the "wear" items that keep it shooting. Their website also has downloadable manuals for their legacy products, Anschutz does not. Do a search for Feinwerkbau on ebay and you will find lots of parts mostly from Nikkonas in Canada, there are also vendors in the US who do service and supply parts. The rifles are easy to work on and there are several online videos to guide you if you are a DIY'er.

Gwelo,

Thank you for the great info! I'M A DIE-HARD DIY'er and this info is especially helpful to me. I'm leaning towards a FWB 603 over the Anschutz. Just got to find a good one.

Thanks for the info guys! Nice to know not all FT matches have kneeling lanes. I'll look into it.. I would be very interested in a FWB 603. I HAD a Anschutz Super Pro 2002 that is very similar to the FWB 603 however, my son is a Service Rifle competitor and, he "latched" onto it. LOL!! Apparently the FWB 603 is it is no longer manufactured. I'll keep looking!
Sir, I just inherited a pristine 603, if you are still interested.