• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What lead removing solvent gave you the best success?

This what I have been using, little to no odor, cleans thoroughly and seems to keep the bore cleaner longer.
I believe it improved accuracy a little bit.

Screenshot_20240317_194531_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_194553_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: monstr2
You are only going to need a single tight patch once you lapp, polish and wax your barrel. ;)
I do this to all my barrels, as a matter of course. I was just seeing what folks are using as far as chemical solvents go, made to dissolve leading. I hadn't found any dedicated posts on the solvent subject so far.

You are only going to need a single tight patch once you lapp, polish and wax your barrel. ;)
I have never done this to any of my barrels. What are the benefits?

I rarely ever clean my air rifle barrels, pistol or rifle. Ballistol and patches until clean when first unboxed then I leave it alone until accuracy goes to hell.

The last time I cleaned my Huntsman was five or six years ago. Was hitting dime sized spinners over the weekend in high winds.

PB's I clean much more frequently.

I started when I was leading badly while shooting slugs. Lapping/polishing/waxing allowed me to shoot more slugs without fouling so bad and allowed me to do a one patch cleaning at the end of a session.

I've never understood the concept of shooting until accuracy falls off. My military training and good hunting practices do not allow me to have a bore that has the possibility of throwing a flier, causing an injury instead of a kill.

I never clean airgun barrels except the day I get them. If used they get broomed out with a bronze brush dipped in Hoppes bore cleaner. If new I start at the next step. I clean the bore with a damp patch and then polish the bore with JB paste. After that never again.

By staying with soft lead pellets (at springer velocities) lead never accumulates to detrimental levels. My rifles shoot great and some have tens of thousands of shots since last cleaned. If you shoot hard lead pellets like Crosman you may need to occasionally clean due to the higher antimony content. I don't use lead free pellets so I don't know if the tin fouls barrels.
Personally I find removing all the leading detrimental to accuracy. Sometimes it can take a couple hundred shots before accuracy returns after a good scrubbing. I stay with soft lead pellets and I don't ever have to clean a barrel.

I started when I was leading badly while shooting slugs. Lapping/polishing/waxing allowed me to shoot more slugs without fouling so bad and allowed me to do a one patch cleaning at the end of a session.

I've never understood the concept of shooting until accuracy falls off. My military training and good hunting practices do not allow me to have a bore that has the possibility of throwing a flier, causing an injury instead of a kill.
"Accuracy falling off" is generally considered a slight decrease in accuracy. Your groups open from 1/2" to 3/4". Both could still be used responsibly. Accuracy doesn't suddenly fall off a cliff. Fliers are seldom the sudden result of dirty barrel. It's usually the fault of the shooter or ammo. You run the risk of
causing an injury instead of a kill
Every time you pull the trigger. It's an unfortunate fact in hunting anything.

The only solvent I ever used that seemed to really lift and wipe out lead was Hoppes Lead Remover, I don't think they make it anymore. That stuff was different that #9, and it almost seemed to dissolve lead (I used to shoot a lot of .38 Special cast wadcutters). I doubt most over the counter solvents actually dissolve lead, it's more of creeping under the fouling allowing it to lift. For the .38, I used to use a Lewis Lead Remover, with was a rubber slug that you form fitted a brass screen around and pulled through the barrel. That actually cut through lead. I would never think to use something like that on an airgun though, that would destroy inner barrel seals for sure.

I never clean airgun barrels except the day I get them. If used they get broomed out with a bronze brush dipped in Hoppes bore cleaner. If new I start at the next step. I clean the bore with a damp patch and then polish the bore with JB paste. After that never again.

By staying with soft lead pellets (at springer velocities) lead never accumulates to detrimental levels. My rifles shoot great and some have tens of thousands of shots since last cleaned. If you shoot hard lead pellets like Crosman you may need to occasionally clean due to the higher antimony content. I don't use lead free pellets so I don't know if the tin fouls barrels.
Personally I find removing all the leading detrimental to accuracy. Sometimes it can take a couple hundred shots before accuracy returns after a good scrubbing. I stay with soft lead pellets and I don't ever have to clean a barrel.

I've read this numerous times before and I can't help thinking that these barrels were made so poorly that the only way they can be Improved is to so completely foul them as to reform the bore with a lead skin.

I just don't get it.

"Accuracy falling off" is generally considered a slight decrease in accuracy. Your groups open from 1/2" to 3/4". Both could still be used responsibly. Accuracy doesn't suddenly fall off a cliff. Fliers are seldom the sudden result of dirty barrel. It's usually the fault of the shooter or ammo. You run the risk of

Every time you pull the trigger. It's an unfortunate fact in hunting anything.

No, it's not. I don't pull the trigger until I have a sure shot. If my gun "can" miss, I don't pull the trigger.

I have perhaps thousands of Starlings to pop at 100y plus but I don't pull the trigger on them.

Even a pest deserves to die clean.

Reactions: bucketboy
No, it's not. I don't pull the trigger until I have a sure shot. If my gun "can" miss, I don't pull the trigger.

I have perhaps thousands of Starlings to pop at 100y plus but I don't pull the trigger on them.

Even a pest deserves to die clean.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
First on there's no such thing as a "sure shot" every time. Well maybe if you're shooting ridiculously short distances in perfect dead calm conditions. The person that's never misses a shot, never actually shoots. It's humanly impossible to make every shot every time. Forget adding in equipment and ammo variables.

Second a pest is a pest. It deserves to die clean.... When possible. I don't pest for fun so I have no obligation pass on dicey shots. My primary responsibility is to protect my family, pets, livestock, garden and property. If a pest or predator threatens any of the above, killing it cleanly is preferred but certainly is not required. Removal of the threat is my only concern so I take whatever shot I can take.

Last edited:
Tell me more about this 100-200 shots needed to foul the barrel enough to shoot well.
When a barrel is scrubbed to bare steel it can take anywhere between 50 and 200 shots to lead the barrel smooth and get your best accuracy. I've experienced this at least with my Weihrauchs and the ones I've tuned. I've seen similar issues at the range with my powder burners. Perhaps all my barrels are just junk.

I think you're sparring with me for the sake of sparring.

I'll call Uncle!
Your right, I'm wrong.
Have a great day
Ron

I'm not picking on you Ron, I just don't get the concept of leading up a barrel so much that it shoots better.

My whole life, I've been taught to keep them clean.
You must be referring to firearms, propelled by powder explosion, NOT airguns. Different animal entirely. Airguns DO require a certain amount of beneficiary leading. Sorry if you weren't aware of that.