• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What kind of solvent should be used to clean a air rifle?

Use whatever you like to clean the barrel. The only "seal" is a possible oring for a breech seal. They are basic Buna-N orings, and are resistant to most chemicals, as is every other oring in the gun. Only other type of oring is Urethane and they are just as resistant if not more so. 

WD-40 is fine and won't hurt a thing. 

The BS that's been circulating for years about "damaged seals" is just that. It's BS that's been recirculated over and over by people that heard it somewhere else and don't know any better. 

Kroil is good and will loosen lead deposits, but is also hard to get out completely. It wicks into everywhere and just a little goes a looonnng way.

What Thumper said is true. I just removed a BUNA 70 from soaking in Kroil for 17 hours with no damage.

Clean your bore with Balistol, now that you have it clean and the last dry patch came out clean, right? Now run a wet patch of Strike Hold through the bore, let it soak for a few minutes then run a dry patch through it again and see what happens…

I did that with the Kroil last week on my Prophet Performance LR and it took several patches to come out clean after using Balistol. I have not heard of Strike Hold.

Clean your bore with Balistol, now that you have it clean and the last dry patch came out clean, right? Now run a wet patch of Strike Hold through the bore, let it soak for a few minutes then run a dry patch through it again and see what happens…

I did that with the Kroil last week on my Prophet Performance LR and it took several patches to come out clean after using Balistol.  I have not heard of Strike Hold.

Neither have I. Looks like a dry lube.

https://www.strikehold.com

Already did a search and got pages of conflicting info......WD 40 is great.....WD 40 is terrible.....Kroil is the cats meow......Kroil will remain forever.......ballistol is a gimmick. 

I'm 60 and shouldn't need to ask but nobody's fault but mine.

Luckily the consensus say minimal maintenance is required of the barrel.

It's like dry barrels or more accurate yet many lube their pellets. Idk

Definitely lots of conflicting opinions on this thread! I am not a huge fan of Ballistol, it stinks, is messy and does not remove debris as quickly as other products I have used. Its not really that good of a rust inhibitor either. I use shooterslube shooterlube.com  It does not smell, cleans quicker, will not damage o-rings and excess solvent will self dry.