• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the lowest power for WFTF ranging

I was using my discontinued Bushnell elite 8-32X...about 20-22 years ago. Mind you I was never too successful (mainly shooter error versus ranging/click errors)... But the Bushnell with all its shortcomings was a good entry scope for WFTF piston. My Bushnell even with the 3D printed collar on the bell...it was still a struggle to range past 45 yards. There wasn't a lot of hash-marks for windage hold. The reticle wasn't illuminated (good luck trying to find your crosshair on a dark lane/dark target face). I was still rotating my Bushnell in and out til last year.

I'll admit I got side tracked by the equipment race of 50X scopes about 15 years ago.

In these day and age, we do have a nice selection of reasonably priced scopes with max magnifications of 40-60X. There's really no reason to drop down to 32X.

If I was starting out in WFTF, I would want a minimum of 40X magnification (50-60X would be ideal).

I can't think of any 32x scopes off the top of my head that I would use in WFTF competition today.

If my finance director removed my air-gunning budget restrictions, I would get a March.

If my budget was limited...

$200-$300 Vector Sentinel 10-40X (hate the reticle...spacing are too close...) Monstrum 10-40X (no experience with this one. Edit: minimum focus 15 yards)

$400-$550 Minotaur 12-60X (no experience with this one)

$600-$700 Athlon Hera 15-60X (reticle too fine, no illumination, IQ so so).

That Nikko at $677? limited sale at Dvor is starting to look good to me even with that strange NATO reticle.

Last edited:
Reactions: baranjhn