• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the best way to clean PCP air rifle barrels?

The problem isn't so much the barrel, but the air reservoir. The moisture precipitates out of the air when it's compressed. Like squeezing a sponge. The moisture will then cause the tube or connected components to corrode/rust. That is why people talk about installing all manner of dryers, condensers, dehumidifiers, etc to their pumps to prevent the introduction of moisture to the system. 

Blando:

You need to Instal desiccant air filtering...If you are using a compressor and then a Shoebox, put a WILKERSON before the Shoebox and if you want double insurance put a HIGH PRESSURE filter after the Shoebox (before your air cylinder)...Unless you live on a desert, I wold advice you to use both of these filters...

The Wilkerson (Low Pressure Filter) runs about $100 -110 US. and the High Pressure Diablo filter $180.00.

Please see these links:
Low Pressure Desiccant filter - Wilkerson:
http://www.zoro.com/wilkerson-dryer-desiccant-x03-02-000/i/G0780071/?gclid=CNXU--jU9cgCFchgfgod0BYJ8A&gclsrc=aw.ds

High Pressure Desiccant filter - Diablo:
https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Diablo.html

Regards,

AZ

I like the method posted by, I think, Michael the site administrator. He ties cleaning patches in a length of yarn and uses a shop vac to suck the lead yarn past the moderator then pulls the patched section by hand. No disassembly of gun required and just stupid simple and easy. Why didn't I think of it? Also I get my air from the Fire Dept. Got a buddy there. Good clean dry air.

I use a bore snake . All you have to do is remove the brush ( there are YouTube videos ) and then cut the brass weight down so it will fall into the short loading port of most airrifles. I use 2, first I use Hoppe9 , the smell always makes me think of my dad . Then I run a dry boresnake till dry , and finish with a very light amount of Remoil . If you dont remove the brush it will damage orings .

The method I use is the drinking straw/trimmer line pull-through method. For cleaning agent I use ballistol, and dry patches afterwards until clean. If its really dirty then patches with Goo Gone get used before the ballistol part. For the outside I use Rem-oil wipes on the outside of exposed barrels like the Benjamin Discovery.

So far its worked well for me I think. 

This is how i do it, and works perfect to, only need some fishing wire, and a stroaw to place in the shroud, so you have a nice guide, you can put a O-ring at the end of the straw to prevent the straw from going all the way is, hope this helps.

At the 2 ends you tie a knot.

Fold it in half, and put the wire through the barrel untill you can grab it.

Damage o ring's inside the barrel ?

I've never damaged the breech seal with a pull-through cleaning technique. When I need to clean with a rod and brush, I remove the barrel and, if the breech seal is in the barrel, I usually remove it. I've cleaned that way without removing the O ring, and I had no problem, but I think it's a good practice to remove it when you need to clean more aggressively.