• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the best tasting critter?

What is the best tasting of the following? Feel free to share recipe -

• Squirrel

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Racoon

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rabbit

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Crow

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Magpie

• Chipmunk

• Gopher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boar

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
@Airgun561 Just about any animal can carry some sort of disease. Ground squirrels are said to carry the bubonic plague. I've eaten my fair share of tree squirrels without issue. I look at the overall appearance of the animal (fur, eyes, the way it moves or acts), then once I've killed it, I inspect the organs when gutting the animal (mainly the liver and kidneys). of course you want to be on the lookout for worms or parasites. When viewing the organs if there are strange spots or if the color is off (liver and kidneys should be a deep uniformed red color almost purplish red) I'd refrain from eating that animal. It's helpful to look up storage findings online to learn more about the animals so you'll have abetter idea of what's what if you encounter something on more than one occasion. If hunting and the animal is behaving strangely, I won't shoot it unless it appears to be suffering. Just some tips.
Much appreciated🙏

This was the guy on the menu..looks pretty healthy🤷🏻‍♂️

A9E22F7D-BDC0-45D8-919D-BADF89591519.png

Of the "critters" listed in the "poll", without a doubt rabbit is the best tasting. According to my father anyway...

I don't shoot rabbits and have only eaten rabbit once. It was MUCH better than tree rat. (smile)

However, considering the other "critters" included in the list, like Chipmunks, I have to consider this post is really a joke.

Oh well, JMHO...

All my best!

Kerry

OK wild Pheasant, these were eating basically corn.Take all feather off. Crise cross the chest with 2 strips of bacon garlic salt and pepper.Turkey stuffing if ya like?This hign end eating" you might be able order it at the Hilton or Triumph Towers? Yes i did prepare a Crow ,i cooked it just right "Well it tasted like liver? if you were dieing and thats all ya got i guess you could eat it,next inline Mud hen Tast like liver.Sea snake,kinda like chicken with a fishy Tast"Enlish Bull frogs yummey".Bob Cat does tates like chicken.I only barbecue it.I liked it"I hope Willy does,nt get any ideas?

IMAG0047.JPG

Reactions: SonOfAGun
Of the "critters" listed in the "poll", without a doubt rabbit is the best tasting. According to my father anyway...

I don't shoot rabbits and have only eaten rabbit once. It was MUCH better than tree rat. (smile)

However, considering the other "critters" included in the list, like Chipmunks, I have to consider this post is really a joke.

Oh well, JMHO...

All my best!

Kerry
Agreed on the rabbit and the joke.

About 30 years ago we had pheasant for either Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and it was great. They were wild birds I shot on a hunting trip with customers. We planned to travel to see family and hadn't purchased food for the dinner. But then an ice storm arrived and we couldn't travel. We had electricity, however, and my wife dug the pheasants out of the freezer, found some bacon to put on them since they had so little fat and we had enough stuff for good sides. It was a great dinner. Nothing wrong with wild game at my house. Meat is meat. Wild animals normally have lower fat than meat you purchase but if you adjust cooking for that, it is just as good. But this assumes the animal was handled properly after the kill. I live in the south now and I understand that many deer hunters let the processor remove the guts. That seems like a way to taint the meat to me. We always gutted animals immediately. It reduces weight a little too.

I shot my first squirrel with "warbles" recently. I researched them first but it is fly larva affecting the animals skin (only). Pretty gross but tasted fine.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Interesting list of game meat to eat.
South of the Equator (Peru) we got a different selection of game animals:

● Mammals:
guineapig, hare, rabbit, vizcacha, squirrel, 3 different smaller pigs: peccari, agouti, paca....

● Birds:
flamingo, quail, goose, duck, pigeon & dove....

Most of them are not listed as free to hunt. Fault of Peru's hunting regulatory department dragging their feet...

When I lived in the jungle — at that time without an airgun (what a bummer!) — I got to eat:
alligator, anaconda, guineapig, monkey, grubs, ants, snails, ....

Matthias

Reactions: SonOfAGun
I grew up in a small rural town that had an annual "hunter's dinner". I've been fortunate to try delicious moose burgers, elk sausage and raccoon stew. Rabbit and squirrel have also been tasty, and tasted very similar to each other. Venison has been hit or miss. Possum seemed "greasy" and not in a good way, although it might have tasted better if aged a week and made into a curry. Rat tasted "pissy", but again could be balanced well by a strong green curry. I haven't eaten game birds, but backyard chicken is to die for if roasted long and low!

Raccoon Bourguignonne, adapted from Child's _Mastering the Art of French Cooking_, vol 1.

- Clean raccoon well of all fat and glands, lightly salt, and cook immediately, let rest overnight in the refrigerator or freeze and thaw.
- Pressure cook raccoon in an inch of water, whole or in pieces to fit the cooker. Bring to pressure and then turn off heat until cool enough to handle. You don't need to cook it to death here, just to puff the meat from the bones.
*Save the cooker water!!** It should be salty and flavorful.

- In the meantime, in a larger pot, fry until just brown one or more chopped onions or leeks in a generous amount of savory fat, such as bacon, chicken or butter, say, one large onion and half stick of butter per kilogram of meat.
- Brown some carrot pieces too.
- Add any amount of chopped tomatoes and or sweet peppers, some mushrooms if you have them and a few crushed cloves of garlic, and start simmering into a sauce.

- Pull raccoon meat off the bones and toss in wheat or potato flour until well coated.
- Brown floured meat on a tray under the broiler, stirring and tossing every few minutes until the flour layer is browned on a few sides. Try not to burn it.

- Dump the pressure cooker water into the onion/tomato sauce and bring to boil.
- Rinse cooker with a few cups of red wine (say, two cups per kilo of pulled meat), and dump into sauce pot, bring to boil.
- Add browned meat, a bay leaf or some sage, pepper or other robust seasonings and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook slowly for an hour or so.

- Check the taste and salt or season more if needed.
- Serve with bread, rice, potato, pasta or other neutral starch.

Bon Appétit!

Last edited:
Rabbit, squirrel, upland bird

1 large or 2-3 medium-sized game quartered into proportionate serving-sized pieces
Chestnut flour or flour equivalent for dredging (Aunt Jamaima's pancake mix is really good too)
salt to taste
ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
1 cup semi dry red wine
2 tablespoons brandy
1 cup tomato juice or puree
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, lard or olive oil
2-4 ounces smoked bacon cut into ½ inch pieces
medium-sized onion, diced
8-16 ounces fresh wild mushrooms
2 Tablespoons finely sliced garlic
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Season the game pieces with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Add the meat to a hot skillet and brown deeply in lard on medium-high heat, not cooking completely through.

Remove the meat to a paper plate. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Add the sliced garlic to the pan and cook, adding fat as needed until the garlic is lightly browned, and aromatic. Add the onion, mushrooms, butter and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring until lightly browned.

Add the browned meat, wine, chicken stock, tomatoes, then transfer the pan to the oven and cook at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour, covered, until the meat starts to separate from the bone.

Remove the meat from the stock, add brandy, thicken the mixture on the stove on meduim heat, stirring occasionally. Add some starch if necessary, to complete the gravy.

Serve meat and gravy with wild rice and roasted red potatoes or something equivalent.

Quail.

Best tasting wild game, by a long shot, specifically bobwhite quail. No gamey taste whatsoever. Usually more tender than chicken.
Close second is whitetail deer back strap.

Worst wild game meat = duck and turkey are bout a tie, both are tough, chewy and GAMEY.

Gray and fox squirrel are pretty good. Elk and venison are decent. Dove has a unique taste, hard to describe. Mourning dove and Euros both have real dark breast meat.

Wild pig tastes no different than domestic pig to me, although all the times I've had wild pig it was pulled pork style, so cooked slow enough to tenderize.

Had some stew with javelina meat in it once, also wouldn't have known it wasn't domestic pig, although they're not even in the same family of critter. Was told the javelina has some glands that have to be carefully removed, like the coon mentioned above by somebody else.

And supposedly the gamey "is all in the prep" but I tried various different methods of cleaning and cooking, never could stomach more than a bite or two of duck or turkey.
I'm the same way with turkey and the only way I can eat duck is if you make duck confit