• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is a pest to you?

Gentlemen thank you for your very interesting and thoughtful replies. Shot this rat at 30 yards today they never get a pass. And though I consider them nasty vermin/pests. I always strive for a humane kill. I hate to see even rats suffer.

23D0CFC3-2F8D-43A8-8222-7112D4EA2FF2.1629662256.jpeg

Rattlesnakes get popped, rats, mice, some squirrels, coyotes. Ive been givin this bobcat a pass. She had her kittens under the deck and has shown zero aggression. So she can stay. When I lived back east I left the crows alone! Their pretty cool. Groundhogs def got smoked. Not too many pests back there really ( in PA atleast).

Edit: Id also like to add, this bobcat has SERIOUSLY cut down on the rats here! Its been great. 

Every state will be somewhat different. My criteria

1) critters who become over populated due to human activity (extra food, cover, etc...) - racoon, rats, coyote, chipmunks

2) any invasive species - starlings, English sparrow

3) and in Michigan - red squirrels, woodchucks, and crow have no limits

And for #1 above, let's not forget WE turn them into pest. Sometimes on this forum I read comments like "chipmunks were there before your house". They're right and I'm totally against urban sprawl. At the same time, there wouldn't be 10 chipmunks living on 1/4 acre without your porch, eves, deck to use as artificial cover. 

California Ground Squirrels & Rabbits are on the pest list at the properties where I get to shoot. They're all agricultural properties & the owners are happy to see them go! The damage they cause with their tunnel networks & eating of "product" is extensive. They both get a pass in my own back yard as they only seem to use it as a highway & not really cause any problems. My wife & I really enjoy the "wildlife" in the yard so, for now, they get a pass. Could change based upon their behavior! 

I kill with purpose. Invasive species, “sorry I have a license to kill for you 24/7.” The rest is for food or destruction of property otherwise, all gets a pass. 

I know people who shoot rattlers on-sight, regardless of where they are, and I condemn for that. However, I did kill one when hiking with my dogs. I was hiking with the pups, they ran past me, then I heard the rattle and 2 feet from me was a smaller rattler. One of my dogs sees me stops and starts coming my direction to see what was up. I pulled my 22 out its holster and shot the rattler, couldn’t take the risk with the dogs there.

Feral cats is new to me! Wow! Sounds crazy. They can be a pain I would guess.

Don't like having to kill the cats much but they start breeding and getting out of hand, and many look like they're not far from starvation. Local animal control used to take them but no longer do. Several years back one came in the house through the dog door and was in the kitchen eating from the dog's bowl. He's a Jack Russel who attacked the cat when he saw it and my wife trying to break it up got scratched by the cat. I've practiced zero tolerance since.

Good thread... I'm late to it... but many good replies of "to each their own" takes on what pests are to them and elimination of said pests.

My backyard doesn't ever see rats, I know there are mice around but I never see them or seek them out. Chippers on the other hand, get no free pass and my backyard must smell like death ... 'cause I've not seen one to shoot in a few weeks, their digging / tunneling brought me to this point several years ago.... I've kept a tally and it's close to 100, and that's only confirmed body count,,, made solid hits on others and they made it to a hole, likely becoming worm food is okay but not tallied.

I have lots of fox squirrels and they get a pass, they're non-destructive unless you figure the twigs they cut for nesting and allow to fall into the yard or the buried acorns they forget about and a new oak sapling shoots up... only to succumb to the mower... non-destructive and fun to watch their antics. Now red squirrels are another situation, I've dealt with over my years at other properties - mine and in-laws. Reds are destructive and WILL chew their way into a building if they choose to gain access... a good red is a dead red!!

Invasive birds.... I'll occaisionally shoot house sparrows when I witness them bullying the house wrens for territory. Starlings and cowbirds also get no pass in my backyard. Crows are nest thieves, but also do good cleaning up roadkill and are protected by law during their nesting season here in Ohio.

I've never shot a cat, but they aren't a favorite of mine either, mostly 'cause other neighbors have cats and "at times" will allow the "house cats" out to roam and these litter box trained house cats like to use my decorative flower beds / mulch for their own outdoor litter box.

Raccoons / trash pandas,, ALL succumb to "lead poisoning" if they're witnessed in my backyard and a scope reticle can be put on them! .. nuff said... buzzards gotta eat too. ;-)