• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What got you started in the airguns?

This is my story of how I stumbled into the world of airguns. I hope you enjoy and would love to hear how you got into airguns as well.

December 2013 - Christmas shopping at the local Wallymart
For me, it all started back in December of 2013 while Christmas shopping at the local Wallymart with my nephew. We stumbled upon the airgun and shooting accessories isle in the sporting good department. Seeing all of those air rifles was totally nostalgic and brought back a flood of memories of my youth. I asked my nephew if he wanted one and of course, being a 12 year he said hell yeah. Being totally ignorant, I picked the rifle that had the highest FPS shown on the box which happened to be the .177 Ruger Blackhawlk Elite with scope included for $79.99. When we got home, my nephew and I unpacked the gun and went outside to try her out. The first thing I noticed was how hard it was to cock which took me by surprise. The second thing I noticed was the moment I pulled the trigger and heard a loud piercing CRAAACKKK!! We looked at each other and both decided to pack it up before the neighbors called the police on us.The Ruger Blackhawk ended up getting placed in the back of a closet and wasn't touched for another 5 months.

May 2014 - Enter Ted and his Video Review of the Bobcat
On a sunny warm day in late May 2014, my nephew and I drove out to an abandoned construction site to do some target shooting with the neglected Ruger Blackhawk We setup a bunch of target and spent 45 minutes failing to hit a single target. Mind you I knew nothing about having to zero a scope so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Anyway, we eventually got fed up and called it a quits.When we got home, I decided to do some more research on airguns which led me to a YouTube video of a some dude named Ted doing a review of a crazy looking rifle called the FX Bobcat. Needless to say I was blown away. I was amazed just how quiet the rifle was compared to the Blackhawk and even more impressed with the "through the camera" footage showing the amazing accuracy of the Bobcat. The video and background funky swami music track was all it took to convince me that I had to get a better gun.

June 2014 - Diving in head first into the world of PCP airguns
After doing considerable online research, I decided on taking a huge leap and buying a top of the line .22 DayState Mk4 Target with the optional Huggett System. I ordered the rifle along with a 3-12x MCT Viper Connect SL scope and some BKL rings. I also ordered a 90ci Ninja carbon Fiber tank and a variety of different pellets. I was taking a giant leap of faith spending so much money on a sport for which I new hardly much about. In hindsight, it was the best decision I ever made. When the MK4 Target finally arrive, the moment I laid eyes on the spanking new DayState Mk4 Target was as close to a religious experience as I ever had. The rifle was gorgeous and everything from the from it's looks, fit, and feel of it's velvety rubber stock screamed quality. Having received the Ninja tank earlier, I had it filled by the local paintball store so I was ready to fill this puppy up and see what she could do. After mounting the scope, I began to fill the rifle which is which is when I realized the Ninja would only fill to 200 bar, not 230 which the rifle goes up to. Undeterred, I took everything outside and proceeded to load pellets into the magazine. I setup a paper target on a treed behind the house. I got ready and turned the gun on and proceeded to take aim. I squeezed the the trigger and KA-BOOM!! What the??? A made a rookie move and forgot to seat the bolt in the down position when loading the pellet. This oversight resulted in the very first pellet being blown back into the breach causing the magazine jam up with no way to either load another pellet or remove the magazine. I felt like a total boob. Talk about getting off on the wrong foot. I panicked and for the life of me, couldn't get the magazine to budge. I eventually called Jim over at Precision Air and he calmly explained what had happened and told me to try gently try pointing the gun down and jiggling the gun to dislodge the jammed pellet. Eventually, the pellet worked it's way free and I was able to remove the pieces of pellet that had gotten stuck in the breach where the bolt retracts into. I was now super careful and proceeded load another pellet in the magazine and start over again. This time, when I pulled the trigger, everything went perfectly smooth. All I heard was the slap of the pellet hitting the target. The gun was whisper quiet and had absolutely zero recoil. I eventually zeroed in the scope and was stacking pellets in no time. I had found Nirvana!

July 2014 - Enter Michael Wendt and his video review of the .30 Bobcat
Having owned the DayState MK4 Target for only a month, I was hooked on the sport. I came across a YouTube video of someone calling himself the "Great Wendt" who looked as if he was in some tropical jungle in the Pacific. Having lived in Hawaii, I soon recognized the sounds of the birds in the background and knew right away this guy must be in Hawaii. Anyway, his review of the .30 Bobcat impressed me so much that I just had to get myself a .30 Bobcat of my own. I called Jim at Precision Air and placed an order for one. At the time, they were hard to come by but fortunately, Jim said he was expecting a shipment to arrive within a week. I ordered a Hawke 8-32x56 scope and another set of BKL mounts to use with the new Bobcat. I received the gun within 5 days and was up and running in no time. Needless to say the .30 Bobcat did not disappoint. It was so powerful and accurate I soon realized I needed to find somewhere that I could shoot further so I could find out what it was capable of. I ended up going to an outdoor range and was able to shoot 1" or better groupings out to 100 yards with little effort. The rest was history. I never looked back and knew I had found my new passion in life.

Cheers,

Scott

Reactions: CampFussell
my father's hobby was high end fire arms. He was a BIG collector from the time we were born, up till the day he passed. When we were very little, we all got BB guns for birthday's, etc. By the time I was in middle school I had a Sheridan, a Crosman pump gun, and several Daisy bb guns. High school, collage, and the start of my adult life had the BB guns collecting dust while I indulged in many other hobbies. Sometime in my early 30's I got the itch to do some plinking,and purchased a Sheridan CO2 pistol. That was followed up quickly by a Daisy CO2 pistol, a Crosman CO2 gun, and then eventually a Crosman 2289 back packer. I liked the size of the 2289, so purchased a Daisy 880.

I held on to that 880 for a long time. Used to carry it in the trunk of my car. If I found a place that I thought I could pull off the road and plink, without getting in trouble, I would. At some point I moved to West Virginia (mid 90's?), Once out here in the country, I spent much more time plinking. I went to shoot out by a small pond that I used to frequent, and the gun would not fire. Turned out that the plastic trigger broke. SO, I ran down to the local mart store, and purchased another pellet rifle. When I took it out of the box, I was a little saddened by how small, and light it was, being almost all plastic... so, I returned it to the store. 

I did an on line search for 'adult air rifles' and found a world I previously could not have conceived of. But, what were these crazy prices? $250 for a German made spring gun? Who in their right mind would pay that? - turned out to be a Beeman r9 ;-) . I found a place right over in Kentucky (Compasseco) that sold Chinese air rifles that were all metal and wood. I had actually remembered seeing the name in small adds in the back of my fathers gun mags - while visiting him down in Florida. That was what I was looking for! So, I purchased one for $29 ( a b3-1 varient?) I was thrilled that it was all metal and wood, and that it felt like a gun when I handled it. I got to shoot that gun VERY well. 1/4" at 35 yards was doable when I did my part with the very heavy trigger. I figured if this one is good, I wonder what the $79 one was like, so I purchased that one. Then a $125 one... and then I found a forum ;-). Purchased a Beeman R9, and then started asking about these crazy things called "PCP's".

As a twist of fate, I wound up ordering a brand new BSA super10, and making a deal on a used Career 707 in .22 on the very same day, as my first step into the pre-charged world. Rest is basically water under the bridge now...

Long story but I will condense it. 
9 yrs old - My father buys my two older brothers and I BB guns as firearms trainers
13 yrs old Crosman 760and 4x Tasco scope. 
15-22 yrs old Sheridans Blue Streak and Silver Streak, Some more Crosmans, 1077, Backpacker, Dual Power pump and CO2, 22XX, 
25-40 yrs old turned onto adult airguns: Beeman .177 R1, .177 R9, then I found the internet and found JM aka The Springman and got his Tarantula tuned .177 R9, Bull barrel .22 R1, What to do with all of these rifles. FWB124 - got 3
purchased a (.25 Kodiak-installed a Gas Ram - scope Eater it was). Got acquainted with AirgunWerks, Purchased a Paul Watts tuned rifle ( incredible tuner) TX200 ??. Heard of a guy named David Slade. Owned several more TX's. Found MAC-1, Steroid Sheridan, modified 22XX. Crooked Barn 2240. So many CO2 pistols that I purchased a dresser to keep them in. 35 or 40. still have a few I have not shot for 10-15 years

Last few years......22 and .25..Marauders, Discovery, HCTX200, Will Piatt tuned .22 Evanix Rainstorm Incredible gun that shot as good as my FX 400, FX Boss, 
Daystate .303 Wolverine, Got to know and trust a man named Andrew Huggett. .25 Air Ranger, .22 Huntsman Classic. Quackenbush's .25 and .50. 

Present Day---- I really like the Rapid format. A friend said hey, check out RAW..there's a guy named Martin Rutherford...call him...he is working on something you will like
I took Mr. Wendt's advice and made the call. I have never been happier with a fine product and company that just will not let you down.

that's my story...I just can not remember all of the airguns I have had. It's all a blur...time just gets away from you. Cheers

Reactions: CampFussell
When I was about eight years old i got a Daisy Red Ryder for Christmas. I shot it about every day for a couple of months until it unfortunately broke. Then a couple months after that my dad came home from work with another gun, but this time it was a bb/pellet gun (Crosman 760). We had this gun for about a year or two until it broke. Then when i turned nine i got another Crosman 760 for my birthday. Two years later i thought i would like an upgrade from the Crosman so then my cousan let me barrow his (Gamo 440 i think it was called). After i had that for awhile i wanted a break barrel air rifle of my own. so i started to research some rifles and i finaly went to the conclusion that i wanted the Benjamin Trail NP. so my brother and i saved up our money and bought a Benjamin Trail NP. I never got to be super accurate with that rifle but but still liked it and shot it every chance i could. While i was researching the Trail NP i stumbled across Ted's videos and some others. and once i saw what Ted was doing with those pcp guns guns i was amazed i never new airguns could do such long range precision shooting. so after i shot the Trail for a few years i thought i would like to bump it up a notch and get me a pcp. so sense i didn't have to much money at the time i started looking at used guns. after awhile i finally found a local good deal on a Benjamin Discovery and that is the gun i own presently and i'm loving it and expect to upgrade once i get the chink.
Well there's my story,
Leo :)

My story is much shorter.

I got into shooting PB's (about 2007 or so), but the ammo was too expensive and scarce and I wanted to keep shooting. Enter Airguns! This ends my story. LOL! :)

Ted's videos surely played a big role in my understanding of airguns as well as some of my purchases. I owe him a big thanks and make it a point to do so whenever I get the chance. 
Tom

Like most American males, at some point in your youth there is a bb gun in your life as sure as there will be a girl mine was a daisy pump action that I loved even though she drew my blood more than once. Following close was a Crossman multi. But as with most puberty demanded power, and air power was forgotten, until in my mid twenties while in the army a budy of mine showed me a Diana 34 and that was it for me. He gave me that gun and I shot it regularly realising it's better to have pellet gun to shoot in your backyard rather than own some closet queen you rarely get to range with. I know now that all things best in life were realized at 12 as I get more joy from shooting high power hand made slingshots, and air rifles then most "adult activities" (I said most) lots of guns later I'm found typing this on my phone filling my days with thoughts of regulators and baffles.

Good stuff. I should mention my very first experience with airguns was when I was when I was 12 years old. One of the boys in the neighborhood had a Crosman.177 Pumpmaster BB gun which I thought was the coolest thing since sliced bread at the time. Then, when I was 14, one of my friends bought a .22 multi pump pellet gun which was used for causing all sorts of mayhem. Thank god nobody got permanently injured. Skip forward 31 years and that when I got back into airguns where my OP starts off.

Keep the stories coming!
Scott

My fist rifle was a Benjamin pump in .22 cal. I have no idea of the model #. I was about 13 years old. I remember pumping it about 6-7 times with my dad standing next to me. I shot the first pellet into an apple tree truck. When the pellet thwaped it sounded like a .22. All he said to me was, " be careful, that thing is a lot more powerful than I thought".
Forward 50 years later. I have reloaded rifle rounds for the last 15 years and enjoy long range shooting. About two months ago I stumbled upon a video of guys in England shooting rats with air rifles at night. It reminded me of my first rifle. This led me to look at some of Ted's videos , and then to the Daystate, FX and Kalibr sites.( total eye candy).....and now I have a .25 Cricket and will have a n Fx before the summer is through. I also got my twin brother hooked in the process. I love the accuracy.

I had something like a Crosman 2200 as a kid. It was quiet enough that my mom didn't mind me shooting at toys in the basement. I hadn't owned an airgun in years, until about a year ago when I read the below linked blog post and decided that I needed one again. I also wanted to know what it was like to eat something I killed myself. And I have fond memories of plinking toys.

http://www.prep-blog.com/2013/01/12/air-rifles-for-preppers/

So I got a .22 springer. Before I went after any rabbits, I zeroed it in on a Justin Bieber action figure. I found another Bieber in a trash pile that I'm going to start taking on hunting trips to check my zero in the field. Such a satisfying hobby...

Greetings all. I bought my first airgun a daisy 880 when I was 13 in 1988. I had it for a year and it broke, I then bought a Crosman 2100 which I still have today. I loved shooting when ever I could, cans,targets,pigeons it didn't matter,I just enjoyed shooting. I then got hooked on to .22's and shotguns and the 2100 started collecting dust. A year ago a buddy of mine at work was telling me about his pellet rifle a PCP, the marauder. With the scarce availability of 22 rounds I looked at purchasing a modern pellet rifle and decided on the .22 Benjamin Trail NP. I have enjoyed it for the past year, it has taken many a squirrel and starling. Because of it I had the pleasure of shoot with my 14 yr old niece. I replaced the seal on my 2100 and that's "hers" now. I purchased a .22 crosman kt2300 pistol and have enjoyed plinking with that. Later this month I will make my first PCP purchase and get the Hatsan At44-10 qe. Ted I enjoy all of your videos, when are you going to make it on the round table of American Airgunner? 

Safe shooting everyone!

I got my first airgun around 1975 when I was 12. It was the Crosman 1377 or whatever the equivalent was. Many years later I stumbled onto a picture of a Daystate Harrier and was smitten. I never got one of those but that spurred my interest. I loved the idea of a gun I could shot indoors or out and have it be nearly silent. They seem so much more elegant than powder burners.

In 1954 at the age of six I received a Daisy pump for Christmas .I was given instructions in safety and in what i could dispatch .Crows starlings and sparrows were on the shoot list . Song birds were taboo .I still remember the first bird I ever killed Pride at the shot and a tear in the eye for the life I had taken .That respect for the animal has never waned . through the years I went the route that many of You have taken .The Sheridan and the Beeman break barrel to the Gamo.I upgraded My game a few weeks ago with a Fx Royale 500 arriving at my door from Jim at Precision Airguns .Through the years I have dispatched countless numbers of pests including but not limited to pest birds,rats,flies,carpenter bees,dragon flies,writing spiders and so forth .But I will always be thankful to Dad for the gift of the Daisy 25.

What got me started was a Crosman 760 pump, it could shoot pellets and had a magnetic bolt to hold the bee bee's from rolling out the barrel, i was just a kid in the 70's my parents had a wooden fence, when they moved to where i am at now, not long ago, i walked that fence and there were hundreds of bee bee's sunk in it with lines of rust running down from them, some 30 or so years later. air gunning has always been with me ever since.

This is along story fella's and iam not to sure I can type that long, but I give it a go. I can still remember that Christmas mourning in Pa. We 
Lived in a farm house near rising sun our back yard was around 450 acres and the front yd was about 230 acres. Plenty of space to play for a few kids, lots of chickens, rabbits, goats, cows and a few goats. I had been making sling shots and my variation of a bow and arrow. But every time the guns came out I was there. My father like most Americans had a few guns, 30-06, 30-30, and a few shot guns two 12gauges a 16 gauge and this little 410 which I called mine. Her name was Sammie. Even though we raised plenty of farm animals, hunting was still done every year. So blood and guts really wasn't a big thing for me even at 5. So I asked for my own gun to go squirrel hunting and rabbit hunting. Up to this point I hadn't really gone just wanted to. Seeing the older brothers and cousins leave with guns and camo in hand was just to much to bear for me. So after, some major begging and pleading, that I was a better shot than the older kids. My father decided to take everyone out for some shooting at targets. For him, it was maybe time to re zero some scopes and what not. But for me, It was my chance to show off my god given talent. Now at this point I really had no talent just some ambition. So, there was a road that lead in between two huge corn fields that was used for practice shooting. To me, it looked to be maybe 100 miles, being 5, but know maybe, 60 to 75yds long. So For a painful hr or two I watched everybody take turns shooting al sorts of stuff. Finally my father says, "come here son, in a very different voice then I was used to hearing" now I'm a little nervous, he grabs that 410 single shot, hands it to me and says "do you know what this is? " I looked at him and nodded yes. For about which seemed a life time, he told me all about the rules and safety of a firearm. A lot which seemed like common sense to me. Even at that age. So we walked down and put a target up about half way were everyone else's targets where."dad, I want to shot at there targets" his reply, with a smile. " not yet buddy not yet". However, at that very moment, that little smile just relaxed me so much....I stopped being nervous and was ready. As we walked back, gun in hand breach open and across my shoulder. He says to me with a very relaxed voice, knock'em down son. So iam standing up as we didn't shot on a bench or table to check out our guns. So, I'm handed a shell, I pushed in the hole and snapped the barrel up. Pop said to everyone chatting. " he's loaded" looks down at me from sorta behind me but next to me and whispers to me. " look down the barrel son and see the bullet coming out and going to your target but don't forget to breathe". A quick nod, and I cock the shotgun. I starred at that paper target for it seems like ten to fifteen minutes, heart was pounding out of my chest. BAM, the gun goes off, everyone started laughing as my shoulder get jerked back out of my body. And it nearly knocked me down. Both my older brothers laughing at me and pointing down range. " he didn't hit anything", laughing and carrying on...my dad looked at me with a sorta sad but it's ok look. At telling them to be quiet. He asked me " do you want to continue son" yes sir, I replied. Ok, he gave me another shell. BAM, same result nothing on the target. Brothers and cousins sorta whispering because they sense my dad really not happy at this point. "Last chance, bud." Ok dad, BAM, same thing, now everyone is in shame and being extremely quiet. My dad looked over at me, " maybe next year buddy" But....dad, I know I hit that target." No son, you were three for three" and didn't hit anything. Better luck next year, son. "Dad, I did hit it " i said repeatedly. My brothers in the back round talking about me to my cousins. Telling them I was just to young to be out there. After some pleading to him and some convincing to walk down. We finally started walking to the targets. Just him and me. He started that, Its ok speech. Until we got about half way down and he looks at the paper target and says, " see nothing" I replied " I wasn't shooting at that one" as I pointed to there targets. He looked at where I was pointing and started to smile. And I'll never forget it. Ever. We walked down a little farther to there targets, and there lies a paper plate with three holes in it. About 4 to 5" maybe. Right then he looked down an said, you have something Santa left you under the tree. After walking anxiously back to the house, I didn't know that my one brother already ran back and told everyone that I was a crack shot, better than dad. I walked in and my mom smiled. "How did you do " my grin "ok " I think my smile from ear to ear said it all. My oldest brother handed me my one last gift, that somehow I didn't see. I opened it, franticly I might add. a little shingle cock Daisey. And so it started there, that day on Christmas. And I'll never forget it. Me an my weapons, weather airguns or firearms I have a passion for shooting in general. And always have. Best, Steve