• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What do you think is a good gun for a 14 year old

I think with proper training and adult supervision that just about ANY gun is good for a 14 year old. As long as he can shoulder, aim steady and pull the trigger he should be alright. 

Obviously you wouldn't hand a 14 year old a .50 BMG, step back 5 paces and say "good luck", but with airguns especially there shouldn't be any recoil so to speak of that would be concerning and the weight and size can be controlled by going with a bullpup or carbine style rifle like the Benjamin Marauder Pistol in .22. 

There are lots and lots of choices. Did you have a price point you wanted to stay in? .177 and .22 are "cheaper" to shoot than a .25 or .30 (and bigger)

do you plan on shooting in a residential setting (backyard) or are you on a farm? You will want to factor in noise if it's residential. Noise can be controlled by aftermarket accessories for the most part, just make sure you have a rifle capable of accepting these accessories. 

Think about that and then let us know where you want to be price wise and what you want to accomplish with the rifle and we can point you in a direction. 

I think a break barrel would be best.
Teaches the fundamentals, and is one of the safest guns as far as knowing if it is loaded Givin that it has no magazine and most have a automatic safety.

It will also be a challenge for them to become a good shot with the break barrel as you need to learn how to make constant repeatable actions to get the same results.

I would get a low power one somting like the hw30s /R7

Personally, I think that is a choice you have to make based on experience. I started with a Crossman 1377 that my dad bought me as my first BB gun back in 1978, I was 5 years old. My dad spent a lot of time training me about firearm safety. We had various 22 rim fires and other firearms that I would shoot with him.
For Christmas, in 1983, I got my first 410 single shot shotgun. I was 10 and was very safe and allowed to take it out and shoot by myself. At 12, I got my first rifle, a Ruger 10/22 with a 25 round mag. By the time I had turned 14, I was shooting 12ga shotguns, .308's, 7mm, and had my own Barrett 9mm pistol, and was free to come home from school, grab any of them and head into the woods and hunt, by myself at will.
so I guess what I am saying is, it all come down to experience, knowledge, and maturity level as to what you hand them as a first weapon.

Assuming that you are considering a PCP which is the category under which the request is posted, the disco as suggested above is a great rifle to start with. A bit loud for the backyard if you have nervous neighbors, LOL

My now 14 year old daughter started her shooting career at the age of 11 shooting the Benjamin Pistol with the shoulder stock attached. Quiet, accurate, multi shot, many options for the gun, reasonable shot count per fill. yada yada yada :)

You might want to consider a gun that you will shoot yourself later. My son has been hunting with me since he was 4 years old. He loves to hunt and has hunted with me all the time since then. My daughter went to hunter safty class and started out great, so, we bought an extra gun so she could hunt as well. After her first two hunts even though she had fun she was done. My wife lured her away with shopping.My son outgrew his junior 870 so now I have two youth shotguns that we don't use. I bought a PCP for for my son but now he is too busy working and going off to College. I have been shooting his Marauder more than He does. It would be a shame to get a new rifle and not shoot it. I might suggest a Brocock Carbine, Marauder pistol, TD -410, or even the new Wildcat if you think you might shoot them yourself. Get the gun that you really wanted but didn't because you had the one you shoot now. He will most likely be shooting with you so it would be unlikely that he will ruin the rifle in your presence so you don't have to get the cheapest thing.

"PaulWI"I think a break barrel would be best.
Teaches the fundamentals, and is one of the safest guns as far as knowing if it is loaded Givin that it has no magazine and most have a automatic safety.

It will also be a challenge for them to become a good shot with the break barrel as you need to learn how to make constant repeatable actions to get the same results.
I'm a bit biased but I wouldn't recommend a springer to ANYONE ever unless the goal is to have a difficult to master gun. I'd say the Marauder pistol is a good choice as it is possibly the lightest PCP out there and has reasonable power for pesting if that is a goal as well.

Discovery. Inexpensive, it can be pumped using a pump instead of needing a SCBA. Doesn't shoot too far, so the power won't exceed their capabilities. It's lightweight, easy to tinker with and very accurate for an entry level gun. 

Springers are great also. Just be aware that if your 14 year old is easily discouraged, they may not like springers because they are very difficult to master. 

there are a lot of good ones you can try but all I can say I what my father did for me a break barrel or single shot works great but you don't need anything powerful but something light and ez you can get a single shot Crossman co2 pellet pistol for 60 bucks and the custom should stock for under 100 dollars there not vary load light and affordable great to start and if he really likes it there a lot you can customize

http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-2240-Action-CO2-Powered-Pistol/dp/B00GA8RQBM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439177290&sr=8-3&keywords=crossman+pellet+pistol

I would say that the list of options to choose from could grow and grow. Here are a few lower cost options that came to mind for me: discovery, marauder/ armada, hatsan at-44 or the bt-65, a BSA airgun, or any airforce airgun (just not the Texan or the Edge rifles though) the rest would be fine but you might want to think about an upgrade or 2 for the airforce airguns to keep it practical. There are tons of options out there but the best thing might be to make a broad list what you want from an airgun, and then just narrow down the options by elimination.