• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What caliber PCP's do you have and why?

So far (hehe!) I have a .22 and a .25. If I were to have something for just plinking with the family, I'd go with a .177 due to ammo price and availability. Our state law says that small game can be taken with .177 or .22. That said, for groundhogs it has to be at least .22. I'm still tossing around the bullpup idea and I'm split between a .22 and a .25. I see no reason to go bigger at the moment.

I'm new, but chose .22 because of the wide range of pellets from very low power to heavy and high FPE choices. Everything from $6/500 to $0.10/each specialty things.

I have firearms so I just need my air guns for plinking and pesting and small game up to maybe a raccoon or I'll just use a .22lr or something bigger.

The two rifles I have are both tunable from very low to quite high FPE as well so it lets me use the spectrum of .22 pellets and slugs available as I wish.

My day to day is plinking, chipmunk and rat reduction and eventually after I get sorted with a hunting license, it will be squirrels. The .22 works for that well.

Hello 177 is a nice but if you plan on shooting anything big (raccoon, ground hog) and be able to do some family plinking as well I like 22 cal. 25 hits hard and does make a nice hunting caliber but also more expensive and not as available as 22. I have a few 177 but mostly for target out to 25 yds and indoor winter shooting but I shoot my 22 cals daily (target and practice) and use them exclusively for pesting. Just my opinion Eric 

I'm in PA, too. When they first allowed AG hunting woodchucks were .25 and up, so I started there. Since then and the law change to .22, that's my least shot caliber. I keep adding .22's though, as they are still fairly cheap ammo, a caliber I can hunt with in Special Regs. areas and they have a wide power range. I keep a .30 for large bore fun, too. But all my new additions are in the .177 ‐ .22 range these days.

Hello 177 is a nice but if you plan on shooting anything big (raccoon, ground hog) and be able to do some family plinking as well I like 22 cal. 25 hits hard and does make a nice hunting caliber but also more expensive and not as available as 22. I have a few 177 but mostly for target out to 25 yds and indoor winter shooting but I shoot my 22 cals daily (target and practice) and use them exclusively for pesting. Just my opinion Eric

Heavy .177 pellets will handle that use just fine. And I have both .22 and .177 guns.