What caliber is right for me?

"AirgunBill"Kmd I would say the .22 caliber is the one you want. Reasonable cost, wide selection and the .22 makes more efficient use of air over the .177. caliber. For being non dependent on an separate air source the FX Indy and Independence fill your needs. From what I read both rifles can be very accurate out to the 50 yard mark. As one person said the only interesting rifles are accurate ones. I would say the only fun rifles are accurate ones. When you said your main activity would be plinking however I envision shooting dozens if not over 100 shots in a session. According to the FX information for every 7 shots you will have to give your rifle about 21 pumps to get it up to full pressure. I don't know if that is something you are willing to do. It seems to me you don't need an rifle with high foot pounds of energy fpe or power. A high shot count per fill would be a big advantage for plinking and an accurate rifle as mentioned before. The Indy and Independence both cost about $1800. If a rifle and air tank fill set-up or hand pump could be put together for about the same price with the features you require would you go that route. Bill
I agree, accuracy is definitely one of the main characteristics I would like to see in a gun. Pointless having a gun that might look great, gives me a lot of shots per fill, is inexpensive, comes in pink, but is not accurate. : )I only owned springers so far, so I am used to cocking a gun after each shot and it never bothered me, and I thought it never would. However, when I came back from the store yesterday, I decided to take my GAMO Whisper Fusion Pro (Christmas gift) outside for some shootin'. I "fired" maybe 15 shots before I was getting tired (figuratively) of having to cock the gun after each shot. I guess I am a bit over this "cocking thing" and it is time to move on. Getting something that still requires some sort of "labor" to get you shooting, seems a bit counter productive. However, having to pump 21 times for 7 shots, compared to breaking the barrel each time, doesn't sound that bad to me. Especially considering, that the pumping is described by many that have used the Indy or Independence, as "effortless". In their own words, "I can pump this gun all day long".

Sure, I can get a nice air tank/pump setup for the same amount of money, but what if I end up taking my gun with me to Greece? I would either have to take a pump, or a scuba tank with me. Do I really want to do that? I am already dragging a Drone, DSLR camera, camcorder, ham radios and bunch of other "toys" with me. Oh, don't forget to add the gun itself to that list, ha ha. On the other hand, is it really worth getting a setup that is very convenient for the one time a year you travel, over something that you use for the rest of the year? I don't know?! All I know is that each gun/setup has their pros and cons. 

Speaking of pump. I saw videos of people filling their guns using pumps, and almost seems more tiring than using the build in pump of the Indy/Independence?! Maybe not? 

Thanks for all the input!

"AirgunBill"Kmd I was just looking at some other FX rifles that would require an extra air source but cost less than the Indy or Independence. I see three that might fit your needs. the first is the FX T12 400 it has an 400cc air tank that gets about 70 shots per fill, under 40" long. is has an moderator and weigh 6.5 lbs., bolt action and 12 shot magazine for $1095. The rifle has good performance features and you can shoot it a lot before having to fill. I don't like the looks of bottle gun but they do have advantages.

I don't like the looks of the gun... : )

The second rifle is the FX Whisper/Typhoon 12 its 44"'s long with a fully shrouded barrel to keep it 'Whisper' quiet. It has a 185cc air tube and gets about 30 shots per fill and has a straight pull back bolt to cock. This should be faster cocking than the typical bolt action and also uses a 12 shot magazine cost $915 for the synthetic ambidextrous stock.

Not bad, but it does look a little bit too boring though... : )

The last rifle which I like the best is the FX Cyclone it is only 5.73 lbs., 40"'s long and utilizes the simpler and cheaper to buy 8 shot magazine. it has a 185cc removable air cylinder making it easier to carry extras and do maintenance. It has the fast biathlon cocking level. It gets 30 shot per fill on high power but what really makes this rifle special is the three position power wheel to set at 14-24 or 32 fpe. This means you can set it at 14 fpe for plinking or at 32 fpe for long range target or hunting. This rifle cost the most at $1395 but that is $ 400 less than the stand alone rifles.

Hate to say it, but still not the looks I am looking for. What I like is the ability to adjust the power! That to me, seems like a killer feature! The FX Impact has that feature as well. I saw a video online where a guy shot 720 rounds with the gun, set at 14 fpe... 720 on one fill that of course!!! That seems crazy! If I end up not getting something that has build in pump, I might get the Impact. I am not a super fan of the looks, I have to admit, but the features in this case are just to overwhelming, don't you think? 

With that you can get an hand pump but I would spend about $300 more and get an 4500 psi carbon fiber tank from AirTanksFor Sale The 97cu ft Great White tank will run about $777 or the 72 cu ft Tiger Shark will run a little less. With the above rifles mentioned you will get between 1500 to 2000 shots off the above two sizes of tank. The above setups will ending costing you the same or about $300 more than the Indy.

I called a local dive shop today and they charge $15 bucks for filling the tank. They do it as long the tank is certified. I forgot what certification it has to have, but I am sure that the above mentioned tanks have it. Anyhow, getting that much of a shout count for $15 buck and driving for 30 minutes is not bad. Not included the ammo of course. I would have to check Greece and see where the nearest shop is that can fill the tank. Probably 90 minutes away. I don't mind the drive, but I do mind dragging the tank with me. I guess. Never done it, ha ha. 

I think the Cyclone with the three position power wheel will make a very versatile rifle and on the lower power setting will get you more shots per fill. Another thing to remember of the rifles I suggested even though they have different air cylinders sizes they all get about the same total shots for the air used. Good luck Bill

Again, thanks for taking a look at a few guns for me and trying to help me find the right one...

Kmd

kmd1984 I'm not sure if were barking up the wrong tree suggesting other rifles that depend on another air source. I just see for plinking having a light rifle that you can sit and shoot multiply times without pumping would really increase your shooting enjoyment. Brocock as mentioned by WCT_Editor offers some real value for an air rifle and I too like the Daystate Regal Xl which has fine looks and performance. You said in the future you see getting an air tank to charge with so maybe buying one now would be better for charging a lighter plinker rifle. I see the Independence at 8.0 lbs or the Indy at 8.7 lbs without scope not too practical for carrying around for plinking unless just shooting off a bench . Once again they are fine rifles for certain applications. Here are links to a few more rifles to consider. I don't mean to be pressing you with my advice but just trying to guide you in a direction for a choice that best meet your needs. I'll shut up now lol. Bill
Brocock Concept Elite- Quality, good shot count, under 7 lbs, under $1000 and other features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5BUEj1GXU Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22 http://www.straightshooters.com/daystate-huntsman-regal-xl-.22.html 

Here is another Brocock the Contour Elite S6. A very light rifle under 4.5 lbs. and 31 inches long. Only 16 fpe but that is plenty for plinking
This video shows the rifle that AOA sells.

"AirgunBill"kmd1984 I'm not sure if were barking up the wrong tree suggesting other rifles that depend on another air source.

I know what the saying means, but I am not sure what you mean? (English is not my native language...)

I just see for plinking having a light rifle that you can sit and shoot multiply times without pumping would really increase your shooting enjoyment.

I agree. That is why I thought that the INDY/INDEPENDENCE were a great choice. You pump 21 times and you shoot 7 times. But who knows?! Maybe the 7 shots will be over in the blink of an eye and the 21 pumps will seems like an eternity, ha ha. 

Brocock as mentioned by WCT_Editor offers some real value for an air rifle and I too like the Daystate Regal Xl which has fine looks and performance.

Agreed. They seem nice. 

You said in the future you see getting an air tank to charge with so maybe buying one now would be better for charging a lighter plinker rifle.

Correct. Down the road I can see myself getting a tank. It all depends what I am going to end up buying now. : )

I see the Independence at 8.0 lbs or the Indy at 8.7 lbs without scope not too practical for carrying around for plinking unless just shooting off a bench.

My GAMO Whisper Fusion Pro comes in at 8 lbs. I believe that is without the scope. Too me that feels alright.

Once again they are fine rifles for certain applications. Here are links to a few more rifles to consider. I don't mean to be pressing you with my advice but just trying to guide you in a direction for a choice that best meet your needs. I'll shut up now lol. Bill

Looking at this last paragraph, I believe I better understand the first one...

That said, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate yours, and everyone else's input! I really do. I don't feel pressed at all, so don't feel "bad". Actually, it is me whoo feels bad for acting like a kid in a candy store, that "wants" something else every five seconds, and gets on EVERYONE'S nerves, ha ha. So appreciate the patience.

Brocock Concept Elite- Quality, good shot count, under 7 lbs, under $1000 and other features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5BUEj1GXU Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22 http://www.straightshooters.com/daystate-huntsman-regal-xl-.22.html 

Here is another Brocock the Contour Elite S6. A very light rifle under 4.5 lbs. and 31 inches long. Only 16 fpe but that is plenty for plinking
This video shows the rifle that AOA sells.

Thank you for the links! 

Here is what I think the problem is:

In my head: "Carrying a 9 lbs rifle around is no big deal".
Reality: After 15 minutes... "WTF was I thinking getting such a heavy rifle?!"
In my head: "Pumping 21 times?! I can do that all day long!"
Reality: "Man, pumping sucks. I want to shoot."
In my head: " I need at least 40 fpe to have fun"
Reality: 

I have to run now... but I will be back as I have a few more questions...

Thanks,

Kmd