• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What a Deal For Something I can Live Without !

Airgun Depot has the Hatsan Vortex Edge for $89.99, that is .177, .22 or .25

I need another one of these like I need a hole in my head, but at that price ?

I have them .22 ---- should I get .177 or .25 ?

.177 will be a dart, .25 will be a slow smasher, but I will have buy another pellet size and I really don't want to do that, but a heavy .25 cal pellet at 600ish fps would. would be a short range smacker for sure !

Answer fast as I'm in a philological quandary on this ;- )

wll

I have a couple of these guns in .22 and they are just powerhouses for their size, An install of a 3x8mm trigger screw and you have a pretty good trigger ! These are walk around field/hunting guns and not for any type of competition for sure - they have the same power as my Hatsan 95 at a fraction of the price. My 125 Hatsan in .22 has lots of power but is also heavy for long field hiking.

I'm looking at the kind of hunting I do as my choice parameter --- mostly pest birds and maybe a ground squirrel or two. My shots are almost all 30-45+ yds, sometimes more. This gun in .22 is great for that because of it's speed ~760+ fps with CPHP's but the thought of a heavy (9.5-10.5gr) .177 cal pellet at 850fps sounds pretty good.

I like the smash of a .25, but out of this gun with a good med weight pellet, it sends them at ~585fps (according to a report) .... pretty much the trajectory of a slow pitch softball !!! When it hits, it hits hard, but it makes those longer shots a challenge.

Just my thoughts.

wll

Well I bought the .177 caliber Vortex gun. I have 6 cartons of 6 tins each of Kodiaks, and they would be perfect for this gun without me spending big $ on .25 cal ammo. After lots of looking at what I shoot, I don't see me using a .25 cal as my new Hatsan 44 QE Long is also 22.

I think I can stick with .177 and .22 for my uses and be very happy ... the starlings won't be happy, but who cares about them ;- )

wll

Got the gun today and put a UTG 4x AO mil dot scope on her and "tried to sight her in" WAY to windy. used Silver Jets and they fit in the .177 barrel like a dream, with a little pop as they went in .. forgot the Kodiaks;- ( ... If they group, I will might use them if the Kodiaks (which I really need to use) don't group in this gun.

Gun shoots very smooth and had no dieseling, just some light smoke coming from the barrel.

I'll take her out again tomorrow, along with my Discovery and see if I can get both dialed in if the wind does not come up ;- )

wll