• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WFTF PCP - safe foot pound setting

I'm new to WFTF-PCP. I know the gun must be under 12 foot pounds, and I've heard of shooters who thought they were within legal pressure but get disqualified when pressures are checked mid-match. I'm wondering what pressure you all set your gun at to account for pressure fluctuations and chronograph measurement variations?

Todd
I think you mean what speed you should set your PCP to shoot your pellet of choice at.

For example, if you shoot a JSB 0.177, 8.44 grain pellet at 800 fps that's equal to 12 FPE.

Most experienced WFTF shooters aim for around 11.5 FPE max. (around 783 fps for JSB 8.44 grain) so that they don't get disqualified. Some live on the edge and set their rig very very close to the legal limit.

At the regular USA FT matches they may chrono your rifle to check to see if it's below 12FPE. They don't really worry about the pressure in your tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: MysticalDragon
Keep your gun between 10.5 and 11.5 ft pounds. Its always better knowing youre not going to chrono over and get a DQ. During USA FT matches they have a chrony available on practice day, and, on the course somewhere Day 1 and 2. If you shoot overseas in the UK for instance, there are no chronys anywhere other than what you bring, and you chrony on the course during the match......nothing like shooting lights out to be DQ'd and do the walk of shame off the course.

Reactions: gonzav71 and qball
For US WFTF, I set my RAW TM1000 to 790-795fps. It never varies by more than a few fps so I can comfortably get that close to the limit. I want as much speed as possible to get the flattest trajectory and least wind drift. Why not go the limit?
I agree mostly, specifically because you said US WFTF. We have a fps allowance of a couple percent so even if you're set at the edge of the limit 800-801fps with 8.44gr you have forgiveness up to 816-817fps with the 2% factor. You know you're rifle pretty well, so you may be less hesitant to be closer to the fps limit.

Well... let me share Todd. You know my experience at Worlds in Italy in 2022. The lesson of my life. I had my rifle set at 780. In the morning of the first day, it was shooing stable. It was dead nuts stable for weeks (months) leading up to the big event. Tested it three times in the morning of that day's event. Shot the entire match, on the last lane for me was the chrono. Temps were well over 100s, blazing sun, all, day, long. Blew 1 meter per second over. barely into the 800s. Got DQd. Here is what I learned... Sh!t happens. But then after that...
My strongest recommendation is to service your O-rings yearly, or sooner if you leave your gun out in the AZ heat. Next, find suitable cover for your rifle out of the heat or direct sunlight. And third.. to finally answer your original question, set your baseline anywhere from 750 to 780 (w 8.4s in wftf). It's a multi prong approach... heat mitigation, maintenance, and fudge factor. Like folks have said, AAFTA rules you have 2%... WFTF World rules you've got ZERO %. let me say that again .... ZERO tolerance. Don't put yourself in a situation that can potentially get you in trouble. I've asked myself if i was at 750, would i have passed, with that jump? maybe. Give yourself the room. Minimize the variables you can control. Maintain your sh!t like it's a religious shrine, or a Ferrari going through the mountains on a rainy night with your kid in the passenger seat.

Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: Motorhead
Well... let me share Todd. You know my experience at Worlds in Italy in 2022. The lesson of my life. I had my rifle set at 780. In the morning of the first day, it was shooing stable. It was dead nuts stable for weeks (months) leading up to the big event. Tested it three times in the morning of that day's event. Shot the entire match, on the last lane for me was the chrono. Temps were well over 100s, blazing sun, all, day, long. Blew 1 meter per second over. barely into the 800s. Got DQd. Here is what I learned... Sh!t happens. But then after that...
My strongest recommendation is to service your O-rings yearly, or sooner if you leave your gun out in the AZ heat. Next, find suitable cover for your rifle out of the heat or direct sunlight. And third.. to finally answer your original question, set your baseline anywhere from 750 to 780 (w 8.4s in wftf). It's a multi prong approach... heat mitigation, maintenance, and fudge factor. Like folks have said, AAFTA rules you have 2%... WFTF World rules you've got ZERO %. let me say that again .... ZERO tolerance. Don't put yourself in a situation that can potentially get you in trouble. I've asked myself if i was at 750, would i have passed, with that jump? maybe. Give yourself the room. Minimize the variables you can control. Maintain your sh!t like it's a religious shrine, or a Ferrari going through the mountains on a rainy night with your kid in the passenger seat.

Cheers.
Thanks Garrett. As always, good advice.