• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Western Airguns Sidewinder

Additionally folks... I'd like to suggest that before putting this gun through its paces, that you check all of your screws. As I'm getting set up this morning to shoot; I discovered that all 4 of these screws, 2 on each side were loose. I'm talking finger tight, rattling loose. Had I not run my finger over it and felt, and heard it move; I most certainly would have lost a screw, or two. So check your screws guys.

P.S. These screws are 2.5mm Hex.

20230304_062337.jpg
20230304_062328.jpg

Reactions: Sung and peterj59
View attachment 337335So I got her set up. I cannibalized a scope temporarily from my .22 cal Sentry that has been neglected. I'll use this Monstrum for my testing, to find out what this rifles pellet, or slug preferences are. (Wish I had bought lower rings.) Also to find out what ranges this rifle is comfortable operating in. From there I think I'll be able to make a better choice as to what optic is a match. I'm not running a bipod, and so for me, the foregrip is a no brainer, and makes the rifle more comfortable to handle.
While it was too late in the day to do anything productive sighting in wise... It came fully charged, so... I just had to... So I did. Stepped outside, and fired 7 shots. Whoa! Lot to talk about in just 7 shots, 4 of which were in full auto.
The hammerless trigger... It's really unlike any other trigger I've pulled before. The whole process of take-up, wall, break, reset... Isn't really there in a traditional sense. It felt more like a constant, light resistance, until the trigger reached a specific position in its arc, then simply fires.
Additionally I perceived no audible, or tactile reset. No familiar "click", when releasing the trigger to tell me it's ready to shoot again. It simply, and silently sweeps back forward, which the same resistance it came back with. It's kinda spooky. I'll definitely have to get more familiar with it.
Is it backyard friendly?

Additionally folks... I'd like to suggest that before putting this gun through its paces, that you check all of your screws. As I'm getting set up this morning to shoot; I discovered that all 4 of these screws, 2 on each side were loose. I'm talking finger tight, rattling loose. Had I not run my finger over it and felt, and heard it move; I most certainly would have lost a screw, or two. So check your screws guys.

View attachment 337338View attachment 337339
WTF? Thanks for the tip

Is it backyard friendly?
Holy smokes NO!!! When I shot last night, the reason I only did 7 shots was because after the full auto burst I thought... "Someone may call the cops". And I live in the boonies. But this gun delivers a very prominent "Crack"! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to dial it down if I'm going to continue using these Hades. But I'm a long way from making any determination what projectile to use. Here's what the reg was set at when I got it.

20230304_085838.jpg

And a point of criticism regarding these gauges... For the money, these things aught to be trued up, And not upside down!

Holy smokes NO!!! When I shot last night, the reason I only did 7 shots was because after the full auto burst I thought... "Someone may call the cops". And I live in the boonies. But this gun delivers a very prominent "Crack"! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to dial it down if I'm going to continue using these Hades. But I'm a long way from making any determination what projectile to use. Here's what the reg was set at when I got it.

View attachment 337384

And a point of criticism regarding these gauges... For the money, these things aught to be trued up, And not upside down!
FYI, I wrote to Western Airguns to ask them what is the best ammo for the Sidewinder in 30 cal, and here is their reply:

Our testing showed the JSB Exact 44.75's to shoot the best.

Thank you,
Western Airguns

Reactions: DevilsLuck
FYI, I wrote to Western Airguns to ask them what is the best ammo for the Sidewinder in 30 cal, and here is their reply:

Our testing showed the JSB Exact 44.75's to shoot the best.

Thank you,
Western Airguns
I'll give em' a go. I got few to sort through!
20230304_091652.jpg

Oh yeah... In regard to back yard friendly, it may depend on your back yard. Most of the YT videos seem to showcase this rifle in the desert. And overall it doesn't sound loud at all. And while I live in the boonies on 140 acres, my shooting bench built into my back porch, is situated such that everything seems loud. I have open field for 125 yds to my left, 260yds down range, and about 500 yds to my right. Encompassing all that, are densely packed towering pines which create an amphitheater type effect that redirects noise right back at me. For the desert shooters, being in the wide open, there's nothing for the sound to bounce off of. So your "backyard" conditions are going to play a big part in how friendly it is...

I'll give em' a go. I got few to sort through!
View attachment 337392
Oh yeah... In regard to back yard friendly, it may depend on your back yard. Most of the YT videos seem to showcase this rifle in the desert. And overall it doesn't sound loud at all. And while I live in the boonies on 140 acres, my shooting bench built into my back porch, is situated such that everything seems loud. I have open field for 125 yds to my left, 260yds down range, and about 500 yds to my right. Encompassing all that, are densely packed towering pines which create an amphitheater type effect that redirects noise right back at me. For the desert shooters, being in the wide open, there's nothing for the sound to bounce off of. So your "backyard" conditions are going to play a big part in how friendly it is...
Yeah my closest neighbor is 80 yards away, and the other one is at 90. But with all the sits going on about guns, people are sensitive and I understand that. So the quieter the better

View attachment 337338View attachment 337339
Just received my Sidewinder and yes there is a loose bolt! The one that attaches the ring around the air tank was loose and the air bottle was loose too. The gun came in totally empty of air. So I guess it was not tested before shipping. I'll inspect the bad boy tomorrow morning. Did you have time to shoot your gun today?

Just received my Sidewinder and yes there is a loose bolt! The one that attaches the ring around the air tank was loose and the air bottle was loose too. The gun came in totally empty of air. So I guess it was not tested before shipping. I'll inspect the bad boy tomorrow morning. Did you have time to shoot your gun today?
Bummer about the loose bolt, but the bottle!? WTF? I did do some shooting. So far mine seems to like the Hades the best. But I haven't tried all the pellets, or even any slugs.

Bummer about the loose bolt, but the bottle!? WTF? I did do some shooting. So far mine seems to like the Hades the best. But I haven't tried all the pellets, or even any slugs.
And the gun is really loud! Definitely not my backyard friendly. I'm gonna put a real suppressor on it. I took the stock suppressor off to see and actually the suppressor and shroud are some kinda one piece thing, although they can beta hed, that attach to the 1/2" barrel thread. So if you wanna put a bigger and quieter suppressor, you need to cut the shroud cuz it covers the thread.

Have you done any shooting yet?
Yeah I did three mags to sight in my red dot and magnifier and it shoots the JSB Exact 44.74gr pellet at around 895FPS very consistently. Very good grouping at 50 yards. I'm gonna mount a scope to see how it does at 90 yards. In overall I'm very satisfied with it. It's super light so it handles really well. Good balance too.

Yeah I did three mags to sight in my red dot and magnifier and it shoots the JSB Exact 44.74gr pellet at around 895FPS very consistently. Very good grouping at 50 yards. I'm gonna mount a scope to see how it does at 90 yards. In overall I'm very satisfied with it. It's super light so it handles really well. Good balance too.
These are doing great for me at 100yds. Prolly gonna order 10 tins. Just out of curiosity what number is yours if you don't mind sayin'? Mines 508. Trying to get an idea of the initial production run...
20230305_142416.jpg

And the gun is really loud! Definitely not my backyard friendly. I'm gonna put a real suppressor on it. I took the stock suppressor off to see and actually the suppressor and shroud are some kinda one piece thing, although they can beta hed, that attach to the 1/2" barrel thread. So if you wanna put a bigger and quieter suppressor, you need to cut the shroud cuz it covers the thread.
Yeah, it has a very definitive, and unmistakable "SNAP"!