• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weihrauch HW100 Laminate Carbine With Moderator .22

Hi All,

I am new to PCP air rifles. I just received my first one. It is a Weihrauch HW100 Laminate Carbine with Moderator .22 Calibre. Having shot a friends 12 ftp Weihrauch HW100 which was silent to a "puff" sound only, I was expecting mine to be almost as quiet. I do recognize that my rifle is 27 ftp of power, but I didn't expect such a huge difference is the level of sound.

Does anyone have any idea of whether this is common or it may be something wrong with my moderator? 

I would also appreciate any feedback on possible moderators that would make it almost mouse silent that is not too costly.

Thank you all in advance for your anticipated feedback. 

is it breaking the sound barrier? maybe take heavier pellets then. you can still turn the power down a bit (not much) by undoing all grubscrews (i would leave those off so they dont mess up the thread or the action internally) on the hammer side and around the perimeter and adjusting the hammer spring a bit.
what weight pellets you used just in case it was supersonic.

obviously sub 12fpe is SILENT. and there is not much to go wrong with the moderator. is the one which has the light blue hair curlers and 2 baffles in? maybe yours is just an empty case, you can find out by using a 7mm allen key on the endcap. If it comes apart you can check the baffles, in different countries come different mods following the law.

Hi.
It´s perfectly normal that "puff" with weihrauch moderators, even at higher FP, and in others pcps. Weihrauch moderators are probably the best in the world considering price/quality. the same goes for the weihrauch pcp´s, undoubtedly the best (within this power and calibers - .177 and .22 ) out of the box, reliability, easy to tune, and access to replacement parts .
You sure got a great gun. enjoy it. You´ll love it

Hi,

Thank you for your compliment/endorsement in the selection of my HW100 PCP rifle. But as I said, in my opinion it is extremely loud which I find disappointing. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to quiet it down? I am still wondering if there is something wrong. Could it be that the moderator is somehow faulty even though it appears as if there is very little that can go wrong with it. I intend to call the store that I purchased it from in the morning and ask about its loudness.

All comments/advice is welcomed.

Thank you for your advice. I did check the moderator and it does have the two baffles that you described. Regarding the pellets - I am using the JSB Diabolo Extract 15.89 gr. It is much too noisy to use as intended to shoot several rabbits or other such animals that are in a herd, flock etc. I will only have one shot and all the others will scramble and disappear.

What you have , is an over sprung rifle . To make it quieter , reduce the hammer spring preload at the back of the rifle under the cover. There is a set screw locking the adjuster and it must be backed off before making any adjustment. Back off the adjuster 1/4 turn at a time until the desired sound level is achieved . PS you don’t need 30FPE to take rabbits and birds out to 50 yards . Shot placement is the key in this instance. I won’t get into the whole ethical hunting thing. 

there are a lot of videos on you tube that explain how to adjust the hammer spring and how to access it . You’ll need some metric Allen keys . Let me know if you need pictures , I’d be happy to post some.