• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WAR .308 Flex.

Hi 
I’m not sure the .30 qualifies as a big bore, here it is. I was out shooting big jack rabbits the other day. The Jacks wont let you get real close so most shots are at 75-100 yrd at best some close to 150. Well I had my 25 Wildcat with 33.9 mk2 in the mag, and put one in the boiler room (hart shot.) the rabbit jumped up in the air flipped over backwards and was dead still. I started my walk out to pick it up and darn if that rabbit got up and took off. I took me the better part 30 min to get close enough to get a head shot on it to finsh it off. I kep thinking i must have missed the placment of the shoot. After i found rhe holeright where i was wanted it, it missed the hart by just a 1/4”, destroyed one lung and torer up the for side lung. That big old jack should have dropped right there. With the distance on these in open flat range, Im thinking I need more power, ie shock. Been looking for a 30 and there are some good one out there. But I keep going back to Bullfrog’s reveiw of his WAR Flex for hogs and dear. So what I was wanting a Flex with a 308 barrel is that doable and what do you big bore shooters think? I can cast an size 308 buy the ton, which is much cheaper than the .30 cal pellets, i can also swage 308’s from pure lead with hollow points or soilds. Any Way I want to hear from you experienced big bore shooters. I plan to shoot Jim a email at WAR, I would like to here what he says.
Thanks for looking and your input.
CH.

.30 is Big Bore in Texas. Jacks are VERY tough animals. I used to hunt them on my grandmothers wheat fields in the late 1970's with a 220 Swift and it is amazing how much damage they can sustain and still run for a good distance.
Solid Cast Rounds are all I hunt with in larger calibers (.25 and up) when I am hunting anything bigger than Cotton Tails!

Thurmond

Something to consider is that more .300 molds and bullets are becoming available. Unless you already just prefer the .308 molds, you can get a .30 Flex set up with a Cothran valve. You can turn it down for pellets or up for slugs and have the best of both worlds. It won’t be as efficent in the 70-80fpe range as a WAR valve with the Cobra but the fpe range you’ll be capable of will be huge. The Cobra valves on regulation have an upper FPE limit without changing springs. 

I’ve had good luck with the 63 grain hp Bob’s Boattails NOE mold back before I upgraded to Cobra tech. My WAR valve could make 114fpe on a 3600psi fill for 7 shots. The new Flexes can fill to 4500psi. Pair that with a Cothran valve and you’d have a heck of a powerful slug gun. Add a regulator and you can pick your ammo from light pellets to heavy slugs. 

Edited to add: I think .308 misses out on the good .300 pellets available. I’d either go .300 or .357, either with the Cothran valve and set up to have leeway to choose between bullets and pellets with the least amount of hassle. 

Hi Bullfrog.
you bring up some good points. I respect your input beause your a hunter like me. I do a lot of hunting hear. We cant hunt dear here with air because they are just to large. The big Mule Deer here are hard to bring down. So my hunting is limited to to small but tough game like baggers, wolverines, big coyotes even a big Bobcats some times. My 25s I think are just a hair light at times..
Thanks for the input.
CH