• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vortex scope on a Benjamin Maurader

Hi Folks,
I am new to the (serious) airgun game and purchased a Benjamin Marauder and Vortex scope from Cabela's. The guy that sold me the scope said I would be more than satisfied with the scope... well... I'm not. I use it mostly for shooting pigeons, sometimes at pretty close range and I have alot of trouble seeing the cross hairs. I have fiddled with the focus and magnification but I'm still having trouble. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Yes the reticle must be focused first. Easiest to do before mounting it on the gun. Also what is the close focus distance? Some scopes do not focus at close enough distances for air gun use. I have a SWFA 3-9x42 on a PB and wanted to try it on my Marauder. Turns out it won't focus at less than 50 yrds. Wasn't an issue on the PB but is usless on an air rifle. Tell us what model scope you have.

As far as focusing the reticle... It was real crisp and clear when I looked through it at the store. I am worried, like 30cal says, that the ranges I am shooting (anywhere from 3 yards to 50 yards) are too close for the reticle to be in focus. I especially have trouble at the closer shots, say under 25 yards. I may have to get a different scope. Does anyone know of a Vortex scope that would work for me?
Here is a line to the scope I have. 
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-3-9x40-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle

It seems tough setting up a nice airgun when the salesmen you trust to know what they are talking about don't. I should have done alot more research too.
So glad I found airgun nation!
Thanks for the help!!!
Let me know your thoughts and recommedations please!

Thanks John and Everyone!
That explains it! I never knew what "paralax setting" meant till now. The thing I don't understand is why it was so clear and crisp in the store where I bought it because I looked at things at distances I would be shooting and it seemed great.
Any specific scope recommendations?
I looked at the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18 x 44 and it looks like that one will work. Not sure I like the reticle for night/spotlight shooting. Thoughts? I am shooting pigeons in dark barns and outbuildings after dark, on the roost.

You have to look for the spec's of any scopes you are interested in. The first thing to look for once you find one you're interested in is what is the close focus distance. If you shop at an air gun retailer such as Pyramid Air, Air Guns of Arizona, Precision Air Guns or Air Gun Depot you will find scopes rated for air gun use almost exclusively. See the links at the bottom of this page.

Here is the scope I use on my Marauder Its a first focal plane scope. That means that you can use the hold over reticle (bdc) at any zoom setting with having to compensate. Most scopes are second focal plane. Anyway I love it on my Mrod! See it here; https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_New_4_14X44_Front_Focal_Plane_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp-orion.htm

If you're serious about using a scope on the air gun, pay attention to the parallax of the scope. That is critical. If you're shooting 100+yards, just about any scope will do (except Leupold tends to have 150 yards). Below 100 yards you need to pay attention to the parallax. If you shoot everywhere from 10+ yards, get an AO of Side Focus on your scope. No exceptions you need the parallax adjustment. Vortex Crossfire and Diamondback lines has AO scopes. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-4-12x40-ao-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle is the good air rifle scope (I have one). The others are meant for longer ranges.

Yep! That settles it. After talking to Vortex and with all the help here I am going with the Diamondback 4-12x 40AO. Vortex said this is a better airgun scope not only because of the adustable objective and 10 yd - infinity paralax setting, but it is "beefier" than any of the crossfire II's. I only wish they could put a v-brite reticle in it. THAT would be awesome.
Thanks again for all the help fellas!