• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vortex crossfire

What are your thoughts on the Vortex Crossfire? I looking for the best scope under $200. There so many different options I would like to get the best for my budget. 

Fly

@fly This is a very common question. Unfortunately it’s difficult for me to tell you what you’d think is best. $200 range? Run a search on budget scopes. There’s a pretty good amount of information in the forums on the topic. Use the following link to get you started. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/picking-budget-scope-for-first-pcp/

As for my thoughts, I remember reading enough about the Crossfire II to not want to purchase one after what other members said. The best thing about it from what I recall is the warranty. If you’re not in a rush, whatever you decide to get, I suggest catching a sale. Last I checked (last week some time) there were some Discovery scopes on sale within your price range. Westhunter scopes should also be within your budget. I’m throwing these suggestions out there with no idea of what you wish to do with a budget scope (e.g. hunt, plink, shoot paper targets, etc). Nor do I know which type of gun you’re looking to outfit (springer or pcp).Good luck. 

Ok let my show how ignorant I,m about scopes. Scopes have three numbers as 4x24x50. I assume the last number has something to do with distance. And one field of view, can

someone clear this up for me?

Fly
1f914.svg

@Fly I suggest that you take your time and do some reading and/or watch some videos on YouTube about scopes, their functions, and features. This should help you obtain a better understanding of how to shop for what you feel that you need. I’ve noticed several of your questions from various posts have been asked and answered by other members. You’ll likely pick up information more in time if you’re willing to take time to learn, are utilizing good sources of information, and don’t have any serious intellectual impediments. The answer to your scope question in bold is in the videos. 

Maybe start here 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uw68Wjb3jsQ 

This guy’s videos are informative and entertaining to some degree.

If you’re more conservative try this one. It goes into greater detail as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8cnYpjHFkQ

Hope it helps some. 

I like Hawke scopes for the price point you are looking at. I totally agree with Ezana4CE on the take your time suggestion. The worst thing you can do is rush your purchase and end up with something you don’t like or doesn’t work for your needs. DVOR usually runs some good deals on Hawke scopes from time to time if you decide to go with the brand. You might want to tell us some more details if you are looking for a suggestion on the scope. What are you putting it on, what type of shooting do you do, what distances you shoot, etc. The more information you give, the better suggestions you will get. 

You cant go wrong with a Hawk scope. Having said that I have a Sniper Model HK 6.5-20-42 its a second focal plane with eliminated etched glass recital comes with mounts and side wheel.Has great recital and the glass is not bad.I have it on a Beeman R10 spring gun and after 300 shots its still holding up just fine. Package is $130,00 on Amazon check it out

I have a crossfire 2. I’m not happy with it. Turrets are REALLY mushy, and the bdc reticle is useless on airguns. Glass is nice, but that’s about it. There are better options on the market for the price. The hawke 2-7 outperforms the vortex in every way!

+1

I have a Hawke on Dad's Avenger, head and shoulders better than my Crossfire.

Jim

I am a sucker for a sale, it is actually one for the .17 rimfire with ranging hashes, and illumination.

I got it because Dad who had a retnal eskemia in this right eye, looked through it and said "I like this one, I can put the cross hairs on stuff" 

Many starlings, tree rats, and bulleseys later, I know it was the right choice. 

I can't say it would be my first choice, for me, but it is a good scope.

I got a good used Aztec Emerald SFP for 200.00 from the classifieds here. I like that one or my Vector Veyron best. I don't have any experience with Swift. Watch the classifieds, you may get a good deal on what your looking for.

Jim

I really want to thank all my friends here for your advice. I took my time for there was no hurry. I watched reviews, ect. One video said the same (take your time & do the research). 

He went on as to how many scopes he had laying around that he wasted money on. Well being I do not plan to shoot more than a 100 yards helped in my choice. I ordered 

3/9/40 mil dot Vantage Hawke.

Thanks Fellows Fly

I really want to thank all my friends here for your advice. I took my time for there was no hurry. I watched reviews, ect. One video said the same (take your time & do the research). 

He went on as to how many scopes he had laying around that he wasted money on. Well being I do not plan to shoot more than a 100 yards helped in my choice. I ordered 

3/9/40 mil dot Vantage Hawke.

Thanks Fellows Fly

@fly Good deal. Glad to read that you found something of value based upon the information that you gathered. I hope you found one with an adjustable objective for a good price. Please let us know how you like the scope.

IMO, forget about the Swift scopes! There customer service wasn't easy to deal with & they are not that great as far as quality goes. If ya want a scope that's very bright (91% light transmission) & tracks very well, take a look at the Bushnell prime 3.5-10x36 AO or the 4-12x40 side PA. The 3.5-10 is discontinued & is getting hard to find now. I think the calibrated elevation caps gave it a bad rap! I took mine off & just sighted it in! you can still turn the elevation turret by hand and it tracks so well its easy to just dial in the distance. Not sure of the reticles offered, so that could be a deal breaker for ya. My 3.5-10 has a simple multi X which I'm fine with for my purposes. BTW, these do carry the Bushnell lifetime warranty.