• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Video Software question for someone who knows windows 10

im just getting started in doing videos on my shooting and product reviews I plan on starting slow and practicing to get the ball rolling. I have decided to go with Power Director 365 for editing. My current Dell PC only has a 500 gb hard drive that is 65% full. I was thinking of getting an external usb 3.0 SSD drive 500gb on which I would like to install the software and also use for file storage. Can someone let me know if the software can be installed on an external drive.

@Brian10956 

1st, let me share a super great deal going on right now where you can snag a copy of Vegas Pro 15 Edit for as little as $25 HERE plus you get loads of other software packages. Trust me the I have made over 100 purchases with HumbleBundle and it is also a great way to support charities of your choice.

2) It has been my experience with video or audio editors that they need a pretty fast data stream so if you use a USB3.0 device you should be fine. Just expect longer render times as HD located on the local bus will have far greater bandwidth at its disposal.

3) Next, Hardrive prices are dirt cheap right now, you can by a 1 TB mechanical HD for $50. Example HERE.

I hope this helps!

@Brian10956 

1st, let me share a super great deal going on right now where you can snag a copy of Vegas Pro 15 Edit for as little as $25 HERE plus you get loads of other software packages. Trust me the I have made over 100 purchases with HumbleBundle and it is also a great way to support charities of your choice.

2) It has been my experience with video or audio editors that they need a pretty fast data stream so if you use a USB3.0 device you should be fine. Just expect longer render times as HD located on the local bus will have far greater bandwidth at its disposal.

3) Next, Hardrive prices are dirt cheap right now, you can by a 1 TB mechanical HD for $50. Example HERE.

I hope this helps!

Yes, what Haji said If possible, have your software and your project files on your computer! Do your editing and rendering there (waaay more efficient!). Then, you can keep your resource files (your clips) on the external drive until you move them to the computer. I don't know how much RAM you have but if you can add more, more is always better! Remember, also to shut down all your other running apps so your project has all the processor attention (particularly during rendering). 

Dont forget to post!

I just looked at my computer and here are the specs. It’s a Dell XPS 15 9950 laptop, the processor is a intel core I7 6700 2.6 MHz it has 16 gb ram the hard drive is a 500gb ssd internal which is my C: drive 250 gb are free. It has a usb 3.0 connection, hdmi, lighting and 2 usb 2.0. I do not have an internal cd/dvd drive but I have an external usb3.0 read write drive. The external usb 3.0 ssd drive I’m leaning to is from Sandisk 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1380216-REG/sandisk_sdssde60_500g_g25_extreme_600_500gb_ssd.html

Haji thanks for that info but I have already ordered the CyberLink Directors Suite 365 from eBay it was $69 for a 1 year licensing vs $129 if I purchased it from CyberLink. I ordered the retail box as I also saw a few places just selling a download code at a very low price which I believe to be pirated. I don’t mind a good deal but I want software to be legit. I used to be in the software business (sales) and I know how pirated software besides being illegal it usually has other problems that can’t be corrected as you have no support.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/director-suite/overview_en_US.html

The reason I went for it was other people recommended it to me and in looking at reviews it was always in the top 2 or 3 . But the main reason was I found a lot of great instruction videos on YouTube and CyberLink also has the instructions I will be needing to get started. In looking at the specs of Power Director it only needs 10 gb for the the installed software I will then use the external drive for file storage. For the external drive I will go with a 500 gb ssd drive mainly as they are faster and have no moving parts to break The package I bought comes with 100gb of cloud storage that I will use for file storage redundancy. 

Hopefully by the end of June I will post my first video but I have to learn how to do that also. Thanks for the advice 

To Be perfectly clear

To any readers that read this thread after the fact, please note the Humble Bundle link that I posted is a 100% legit legal copy of the software titles that are included in these bundles. They are not pirated versions or stolen keys. You register with the software publisher just as you would with a physical copy.

The HumbleBundle is where software companies offer there package as very very low prices and a portion (how ever much you choose) goes to that charity. The companies get positive publicity, you get a full legit version of the software and the charity gets loads of cash. https://www.humblebundle.com/about for details.

Over the years I have purchased over 100 HumbleBundles and all the software is still working and being patched and upgraded without issue.

Thanks guys!!

Hajimoto

To Be perfectly clear

To any readers that read this thread after the fact, please note the Humble Bundle link that I posted is a 100% legit legal copy of the software titles that are included in these bundles. They are not pirated versions or stolen keys. You register with the software publisher just as you would with a physical copy.

The HumbleBundle is where software companies offer there package as very very low prices and a portion (how ever much you choose) goes to that charity. The companies get positive publicity, you get a full legit version of the software and the charity gets loads of cash. https://www.humblebundle.com/about for details.

Over the years I have purchased over 100 HumbleBundles and all the software is still working and being patched and upgraded without issue.

Thanks guys!!

Hajimoto

I also want to clarify what I said earlier the suspected pirated software I was referring to was what I saw on eBay where some individuals are selling software that sells for $90 for $6.98 where all they send you is a unlock code and directions on doing a hack, in their eBay posting they even tell you if you try and update it won’t work. 

Hajimoto sorry, I wasn’t referring to the site you mentioned which I have bookmarked for future use.

I just looked at my computer and here are the specs. It’s a Dell XPS 15 9950 laptop, the processor is a intel core I7 6700 2.6 MHz it has 16 gb ram the hard drive is a 500gb ssd internal which is my C: drive 250 gb are free. It has a usb 3.0 connection, hdmi, lighting and 2 usb 2.0. I do not have an internal cd/dvd drive but I have an external usb3.0 read write drive. The external usb 3.0 ssd drive I’m leaning to is from Sandisk 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1380216-REG/sandisk_sdssde60_500g_g25_extreme_600_500gb_ssd.html

Haji thanks for that info but I have already ordered the CyberLink Directors Suite 365 from eBay it was $69 for a 1 year licensing vs $129 if I purchased it from CyberLink. I ordered the retail box as I also saw a few places just selling a download code at a very low price which I believe to be pirated. I don’t mind a good deal but I want software to be legit. I used to be in the software business (sales) and I know how pirated software besides being illegal it usually has other problems that can’t be corrected as you have no support.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/director-suite/overview_en_US.html

The reason I went for it was other people recommended it to me and in looking at reviews it was always in the top 2 or 3 . But the main reason was I found a lot of great instruction videos on YouTube and CyberLink also has the instructions I will be needing to get started. In looking at the specs of Power Director it only needs 10 gb for the the installed software I will then use the external drive for file storage. For the external drive I will go with a 500 gb ssd drive mainly as they are faster and have no moving parts to break The package I bought comes with 100gb of cloud storage that I will use for file storage redundancy. 

Hopefully by the end of June I will post my first video but I have to learn how to do that also. Thanks for the advice

That sounds like a completely capable computer! Just set things up where your editing software and your project files are on your computer and internal drive. Then, all you'll need is relatively high-speed USB3 capable external drive. No need to spend the money on SSD, I'd take the difference and buy a nice HD monitor. 

Armedleftist

That sounds like a completely capable computer! Just set things up where your editing software and your project files are on your computer and internal drive. Then, all you'll need is relatively high-speed USB3 capable external drive. No need to spend the money on SSD, I'd take the difference and buy a nice HD monitor

Sounds like a good idea I already have a western Digital 4 tb usb hard drive for my PlayStation that I can use. Maybe I’ll take your advice and get a 23” monitor I think I have a usb keyboard and mouse that I can use around somewhere. I’ll probably start off just using what I have then expand on it if I see the need. 

I wonder if when using Power Director if have a touchscreen monitor is advantageous my Dell XPS already has that option.