• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vibration hour meter

I decided to try a cheap vibration activated hour meter for my Yong Heng. I attached it to the flat top of the housing with double sided tape about a month ago but I haven't needed to use the thing until yesterday. The display was showing .2 hours and I am fairly sure it was at 0 when I installed it. After topping up my bottle, about 20 minutes, it was still at .2. I was wondering if these things should be mounted vertically or perhaps the double sided tape is dampening the vibration. There is an hourglass icon on the display that I assume flashes when the thing is recording and when I tap it with my finger it will flash. These little pumps vibrate quite a bit, I would think that it would be more than enough to activate a device like this. Does somebody have any advice on what may be wrong, yes it may be faulty but perhaps I'm missing something? Keeping a log is probably the best solution anyway but having it record automatically would be nice.

Are you sure you ran it 20 min ? That’s 12min of run time as you prob know. I also have a vibration hr meter on my compressor like yours, mounted in same location with the double sided tape. Plenty of vibration in that location for these meters to work. I think mine was a little behind the first minutes of run time also when new, but seems to be working good since then. Have few hrs on mine

Perhaps you're right and it just needs a bit of time and shaking to get it started. I don't know how it recorded 0.2 hours by just sitting still for six weeks and then records nothing when it's getting the poop shaken out of it for 20 minutes. that's about 0.3 extra it should have clocked up in that amount of time. Does yours have the hourglass icon on the display that blinks when it's recording? I have read in other threads that these things can be over or under sensitive. Some people reckon they are great and some think they are useless. I would think that they are pretty simple probably solid state electrics with not much to go wrong. It may be too much vibration is causing it to malfunction.

Yeah the one I have also has the hour glass that blinks when it’s recording time, here’s the link to the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RB0IAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could see it getting damaged by too much vibration, they seem pretty cheaply made. Wish they had some type of hr meter on them already, but suppose these compressors being so cheap they would prob break within first hr like the temp gauge did. That was a cheap fix at least, just ordered another one and actually liked it better since it was in Fahrenheit.

"Hunter4life"Yeah the one I have also has the hour glass that blinks when it’s recording time, here’s the link to the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RB0IAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I could see it getting damaged by too much vibration, they seem pretty cheaply made. Wish they had some type of hr meter on them already, but suppose these compressors being so cheap they would prob break within first hr like the temp gauge did. That was a cheap fix at least, just ordered another one and actually liked it better since it was in Fahrenheit.
Mine appears to be the same as yours. Was there a wire loop on the back that needed to be cut to activate it? Mine was only $12 AUS wich at the moment is about $9 USD. Here is the link ​https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Vibration-Hour-Meter-For-Motorcycle-ATV-Snowmobile-Boat-Stroke-Gas-Engine/232414526458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648