• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch Vertical stringing for HW 35E

Shot tight 5 shot group yesterday with 177 H&N FT 4.51 at 20 yards but today a 5 shot 2" nice vertical string down the middle with same pellet. What causes that? On the internet, just talks about firearms vertical stringing. One post says you get it when you pull the trigger at different times in your breathing cycle. I am sure it is something I am not doing consistently but cannot figure it out. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Shoot again tomorrow and see of its one of them things or persistent.. some days they just don't fly right or a just one of them things days.

Serms the other day mine started high and strung down . I figured atmospheric conditions.. ? I try to set the gun in the same on the bag ( my case a old tee shirt stuffed sock). May try another pellet like grab a tin of cphp at wal mart to test along side.. my r9 sermed to like the ftt .50 vs the .52 especially past 50y. .. still i stick with cphp.

Maybe give pictures of all things to consider...

Even i can suffer from vertical stringing and hi / lo left and right.
vertstrimghiloleftandrightR9.jpg

Reactions: JDR
Using iron sights. Did better today. Balancing the gun over a sand bag with a sock worked better than the palm under the end of forearm under a sandbag. Will try at thumb straight foward on next shooting session. Best 5 shot group at 20 yards was nickle size with H&N Light Match. Still some vertical stringing trying other pellets but definite it is my consistency of hold. Really liking iron sights on the HW35E.

Reactions: fishing43
Kinda like max said find that spot to rest . Sometimes if to far forward like at the forend sctews may cause a bounce affect . Seems just thinking i rest around midway between the screws and trigger guard +/- . Honestly i don't see it a breach seal if a newer gun , but hw can be a tad sloppy on the piston seal condition. ( Lubing or nicking it during assembly.). My tube had some razor blades in it at the cutouts. Just ask my finger.🥴

I get vertical stringing when I'm not consistent with my shoulder pressure or positioning the stock in my shoulder.

I've recently went to a taller bench to position myself more upright. It seems the deeper I lean down into the rifle the less consistent my shoulder pressure and positioning is and the more vertical dispersion I get in my groups. I'm about to build a taller bench to get a more comfortable shooting position.

Also that darn small trigger guard screw has bit me in the ass way more than a few times too. You'll find that the screw changes your vertical zero gradually as it loosens. Grouping will be terrible when it's fully loose. I now use 262 red loctite and torque them to 15 inlbs to keep them put. And contrary to what the instructions say, it doesn't need heat to be disassembled. A good regular hollow ground screw driver is all you need.

Consistency is the key. Contrary to popular opinion a light hold is not an absolute. I and my friend are using a firm hold and consistently shooting 1/4 inch and smaller groups at 22 yards. Neither of us touch our heads to the stock. Several guys who shoot our Springer bench matchES use a firm hold and shoot just as well as we do. I for one could never shoot consistently with a light hold. Experiment several days at a time with a hold then try a different hold until you find what works for you. Remember.....CONSISTENCY.