• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Utah Airguns recent purchase

Hello everyone,

This post is not a “bash” but intended to share the facts about my recent purchase of a new PCP air rifle from Utah Aitguns, with my fellow Forum members.

Please take from this what you wish.

I placed my order via the internet on Utah Aitguns website on 01-15-2023. My purchase was for a new AirMaks Katran Long .177 caliber, a picatinny rail adapter and an extra magazine for a total price of $1,645.72.

On 01-23-2023 I had not received any form of information about the order so I placed a call to them. I was told the reason for the delay was because they were doing a complete testing and tuning of the rifle before shipping.

The rifle was finally shipped via FedEx on 01-25-2023 and arrived on 01-29-2023 late that afternoon. When I took the rifle out of the case I noticed that the cylinder was completely out of air. Also inside the case was a information card from Utah Airguns with the serial number, what pellet was used for the testing and a “check mark” showing that it had been AIR TESTED and the technician signature.

I gave the gun a good cleaning and visual inspection and then filled the cylinder up to 225bar, it is rated to 250bar. I then shot two full magazines of pellets and placed it in a gun rack. The next morning early ( 1:30am ) I look at the gun and noticed the cylinder was completely out of air again so I filled it up to 225bar. Around 7:30 that same morning I decided to set up my 25 yard range and shoot the new rifle and noticed that the cylinder gauge was reading just above the 50bar. This time I filled the cylinder up to 250bar and sat and watched the pressure gauge drop down to 200bar in only 20 minutes.

I called Utah Airguns at 11:am their time and spoke with Travis Fish and gave him all of the details. His response was simple to “take some photos and attach to an email to their service department”. I did exactly that and sent the email with 15 minutes. Around 1pm their time I called the service department to follow up on my email and was told the technician would call me back. At 1:30pm their time I called again and “requested” to speak with someone about the problem. I don’t know who I was talking with but he started asking me all the questions that I had already told to Travis Fish and was detailed in my email. He said he would email me a return label with all the required instructions. Around 2:30pm their time I did receive an email and the information.

The next day I sent the rifle back to Utah Airguns and I tracked the shipment to confirm that they received it OK. Several days after they had received the rifle I called and spoke with a technician who was doing the repair and he told me that the problem was a seal under the Pressure Gauge that was most likely caused at the factory.

Then I received the rifle back after the repair work, and I sent the following email to them:

Hello, Utah Airguns

I just received the AirMaks Katran Long air rifle back from your service department. I had returned the rifle because the air cylinder would not hold air, and the pressure was 240 bar when I received it today. I will not shoot it for another 24 hours to confirm that the repair is good and the cylinder is holing air OK.

I am so extremely disappointed that there are three ( 3 ) bad scratches on the rifle that were caused by your service department. These scratches were not on the rifle when I took the required photos that accompanied the rifle when returned to you. Please see the attached photos that I just took of the rifle when I removed it from the case.

Photo#02-13-2023.5 Scratch
Photo#02-13-2023.8 Scratch
Photo#02-13-2023.9 Scratch

I did not receive a reply to this email. Two days go by and I sent a second email and a day later received this reply from them: “So sorry to see this has happened to your new rifle. Unfortunately we don't have a replacement part to send in place, but we can offer you two tins of pellets to try and make it up to you for your troubles.”

ThomasT

02-13-2023.5.jpg
02-13-2023.8.jpg
02-13-2023.9.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased a DFL FX mod from UA about two months ago and had a similar experience.

The black finish had some deep nicks down to the bare metal that were very apparent from a distance. There was also damage to the threads. It looked like it was rolling around in a junk drawer all its life.

I contacted UA and sent high res photos. They replied asking me what i wanted to do and then offered the same thing, some pellets. That was the last I ever heard from them.

I ended up eating the $110 I spent on the DFL and bought an Impulse Air 'cuz that janky POS with the nicks and damaged threads is not going on my brand-new Panthera.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Strange that more and more online companies are starting to cop an attitude toward their customers. On one hand they gripe they are losing customers and sales, but on the other hand they are literally driving the customer to go elsewhere. I am so fortunate to live less than an enjoyable hour's drive from Michigan's premier airgun store - High Pressure Pneumatics. I rarely by on line because of stories like Thomas's. I sometimes buy pellets from PA, but Tom has them cheaper. Thanks for sharing your story online Thomas. Who knows, it may save someone from being tempted to purchase from this vendor.

I had a leak in my new Crown similar to the OP's situation. I would air it up to 250 BAR and listen to it leaking down to about 150. The sound came from near the bottle connection. Called Pyramyd Air from whom I had bought the rifle and they recommended I call FX. They told me they could send me a shipping label and they would fix it. I did not want to send it back (because of the risk of damage like happened to the OP's rifle) The tech patiently walked me through trouble shooting steps and we were able to pinpoint the leak coming from the air pressure gauge. They are going to send me new rubber seals and I just tightened the gauge nut and the rifle now holds air. Evidently leaking air gages are common. Moral of the story is try to limit the number of times your gun is shipped somewhere.

Besides Pyramid Air, I bought my P-Rod from Utah Air and my Akela from Arizona Air. Zero problems. I have bought several barrel liners from UA and Bullet Central, no problems.

@ThomasT, you’ve been extremely patient on your end of the deal. They sent you a gun they had “pre-checked” you received it and it doesn’t hold air? You ship it back for repairs only to get it back scratched up like some gorilla was working on it? You are a very patient man. I would be demanding a refund.

Man, that sucks to hear. I used to live quite close to UA. I went in there several times and each time came away with the impression that there was an "in" club. Not that they ever treated me poorly when talking, but I always felt like I was being an annoyance.

I ended up purchasing a .177 Taipan Veteran short. After unboxing it and putting a couple hundred shots downrange, it was clear it was not shooting with the accuracy expected of a Taipan. Over the course of the next couple weeks, I took the gun into UA a couple times, explaining that I felt the gun wasn't shooting up to snuff. Each time I got told things such as ".177 won't shoot as accurately as .22/.25 cause the pellets are smaller" and "3/4" groups at 20 yards are within spec for a Taipan".

One of the times I was in there shooting on their range, trying to work out the Veteran's issues, I noticed someone a couple benches down was getting the VIP treatment. This was right after I was told that .177 won't shoot as accurately as .22/.25, so I quietly observed while shooting. What I deducted from the conversation was that one of the guys getting the VIP treatment was one of the NBA players from the nearby Utah Jazz. (Tangentially, I'm a Utah Jazz fan and was familiar with this player. I won't name the player because it has no relevance to the situation) It was my understanding that he was looking to purchase a few custom guns for himself and some friends. It was *very* clear that he was in the "in" club. And I get it, a millionaire vs some random like me. But it definitely cemented my feeling that my concerns with the gun they sold me were being brushed off because it was "only" a $1500 non-FX gun.

I ended up selling the gun, taking a large loss on it because I honestly disclosed the accuracy issues. The new owner was able to identify that it has a leaky regulator and it shot tiny groups as expected after repair.

It feels like you have to spend thousands upon thousands on one of their custom cerakote FX models to buy your way into the elite or something. It's very unfortunate, because UA has close ties to FX and the well known FX influencers. My experience with UA has left a bad taste in my mouth for FX, and I wonder what FX would think about that. Probably nothing since my one potential sale means nothing in the grand scheme.

Last edited:
I shouldn’t have read this. I just sent them a gun last week. I’ve spent a lot of money there and have always been the understanding customer. But I doubt I’m in the “in club”. I never send guns in for repair because once I own something I don’t like anyone I don’t know to touch it. But I was just tired of the thing and I couldn’t wait to see how this part of our hobby goes. Now I’m not so sure I did the right thing. We will see. Maybe I’ll be starting a topic.

This is not the experience that one wants or even cares to encounter with a new purchase from an online retailer.

I learned a long long rime ago, that nobody treats your things/items/auto/tools/airgun, like you treat them. And as such, I have been tainted and avoid at all costs letting anybody else touch/work on anything I own.
So, even though this was a brand new purchase, I would have done some troubleshooting with a bottle of soapy water in order to find the leak, and fix it myself. Then asked nicely to have the oring/washer/seal sent to me to repair it, with kid gloves. The shame is that this was a new airgun, and after Thomas returned it to be repaired, some hack didn’t give a rats ass while handling it. Probably because that is the way he/she treats their own belongings, or didn’t have the foresight to clear the workbench of items that could cause wear/scratches/damage. A complete
Hack who shouldn’t be allowed to touch airguns.
Then, an insulting offer of a couple tins of pellets in exchange for the damage. No thank you. I would also ask for a refund.
In the future I will show my appreciation for UA with my wallet. NOT.

Thomas -

I feel your pain, been there with other items, other hobbies.
On the other hand, Travis has been on top of things with my Krait, and the possible regulator leakage, with a couple of e-mails about how my gun is doing.

Good luck, getting something...worked out. Personally, I don't call, two tins of pellets an equitable deal for those scratches.

Mike

Reactions: rsfrid
Ok, I’m just curious. Mainly because I know some people are completely outrageous once they feel wronged and other are like ducks and left stuff slide off their backs. Let’s pretend it was your gun that got some courtesy battle scars. What would you guys do? Personally I would have just laughed and said ok, that was humorous, how do you really want to compensate me for the damage. But I’m truly not sure about what would make me comfortable short of a clean gun I can put my own scratches on. Maybe if there was a product I was interested in purchasing soon and them making me a super good deal on it. That might ease the pain of me looking at what someone did to my gun every day.

Ok, I’m just curious. Mainly because I know some people are completely outrageous once they feel wronged and other are like ducks and left stuff slide off their backs. Let’s pretend it was your gun that got some courtesy battle scars. What would you guys do? Personally I would have just laughed and said ok, that was humorous, how do you really want to compensate me for the damage. But I’m truly not sure about what would make me comfortable short of a clean gun I can put my own scratches on. Maybe if there was a product I was interested in purchasing soon and them making me a super good deal on it. That might ease the pain of me looking at what someone did to my gun every day.
Wouldn’t have been that big of deal to me. I wouldn’t have wanted to go through the whole return process again to possibly get another gun that could leak. Touch it up and be done. Let’s all look at the big picture. Yes when you buy a new gun it should work. However, let’s not overlook all of this comes from a leak from a gauge that would have probably been a two minute fix 🤷‍♂️. Should you have to do that ? No but then again I think that would have been the better outcome.

Wouldn’t have been that big of deal to me. I wouldn’t have wanted to go through the whole return process again to possibly get another gun that could leak. Touch it up and be done. Let’s all look at the big picture. Yes when you buy a new gun it should work. However, let’s not overlook all of this comes from a leak from a gauge that would have probably been a two minute fix 🤷‍♂️. Should you have to do that ? No but then again I think that would have been the better outcome.

Sorry, I have to disagree completely here. Utah Airguns markets themselves as a semi-custom shop that can professionally disassemble, cerakote, and tune high end airguns. Returning a gun with scratches is amateur garbage.

And we have no idea what a $1500 gun means to someone. Many of us in this forum are lucky enough that we could pay cash for any high end airgun if we wanted to. But many (most?) others don't have that luxury. For all we know, someone could have saved up for literally years to buy a high end airgun and then it gets scratched up like that?

It's completely unacceptable.