• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

USPS Money Orders - IMO Do Not Accept Unless

I was checking out the classified and say someone was accepting USPS Money Orders and certainly if you know the person and trust them there is no problem. With that said I know for a fact that USPS Money Orders can be fraudulent. I worked in the financial industry before retirement and dealt with fraud against customers and against the company. Basically if it is printed it can be copied, I’ve seen 1 IRS check that was fraudulent. If you accept one once you know it has been cleared and is no longer negotiable make sure you shred it.

Reactions: adamworkinghard
I was checking out the classified and say someone was accepting USPS Money Orders and certainly if you know the person and trust them there is no problem. With that said I know for a fact that USPS Money Orders can be fraudulent. I worked in the financial industry before retirement and dealt with fraud against customers and against the company. Basically if it is printed it can be copied, I’ve seen 1 IRS check that was fraudulent. If you accept one once you know it has been cleared and is no longer negotiable make sure you shred it.

I know one seller on another forum that cashes the money orders at the post office when he picks them up and then ships the package right then. If the post office gives you cash for one of their own money orders, they are going to make sure it is legit. I have seen forged money orders in person that were very well done, but it was obvious they were fakes to me if you check every single counterfeiting feature and there are many. But the website or the phone number is by far the best combined with examining it with a 10x loupe if you can't cash it at the post office. My local post office refuses to cash them so I have to rely on the counterfeiting tells and the verification by the check number etc. online or on the phone. I have accepted well over $100K in USPS money orders over the years and have never had a bad one get past my examination and verification.

In the past, I could not do a mobile deposit on a USPS Money Order at any of my banks or credit unions. If that is still the case, you would never have the option of cashing it and still holding onto the physical MO. That may have changed.

If you accept one once you know it has been cleared and is no longer negotiable make sure you shred it.

I sold a camera lens for $1600 and the scammer sent me two counterfeit US Money orders, totaling 2K and that was a red flag right off
Scammer said keep the extra $400
If I was to deposit the checks the lens would be sent and gone and the bank would have informed me that the 2K would not be deposited
The other give away was that the MO had no George Washington watermark on them, seen in the picture
The MO came out of Nigeria where they first print the MO but can't get the watermark right, BEWARE OF THESE SOB'S
The Postal inspectors that picked the MO's up told me to try not to touch the checks next time so they could lift prints off of them

MONEY ORDER.jpeg

I think the whole USPS money order being a more secure method for transactions started out of the idea that the FEDS would get involved as the defrauding party would be counterfeiting the US postal service money order and bringing on themselves the weight of the secret service and Alphabet org. I say good luck! I personally have excepted postal m/o and never had an issue.

What is really scary is...even if those clear and go into your account, they can be recalled as fakes even three months after they clear!! Most states have laws protecting banks from fake/ forgeries, but the customer is on his own !!
Up to one year for most electronic recoveries there are all sorts of special conditions that allow for longer times. Canadian IRS has 3 years our IRS I would guess has unlimited time but I can’t say for sure.

Reactions: AirShot
25 years only USPS money Orders (okay a few cash and one check) 200+ transaction and zero issues.
Now these day's the P.O> will likely say "we don't have the cash right now" for just about any amount you try to cash in BUT they absolutely CAN tell you if it is a legitimate USPS M/O. Then just take it to the Bank.
"Ships the day USPS M/O arrives" still applies.

Other than cash (I'm old enough to remember how one purchased a Whiscombe) THE safest thing going.

John

I've been accepting USPS money orders for decades and even way back in the early days of auction websites and forums. NEVER had a problem with USPS money orders to this day. I have had more problems and inconveniences with PayPal, eBay, Credit Card Companies, Zelle ... Out of all, PayPal absolutely sucks, and that is my kind assesment. Zelle seems more concerned about scams and quad repeat steps to make sure you are sure about being sure to send money thats yours - are you sure. Never tried any of that BIT coin stuff. USPS money order for me has a long running positive resume. Knock on wood I suppose .... However, if fraud is indeed that bad with MO's ... just like other forms when working with banks and potential fraud, why would they NOT say something about handling USPS MO's? Or, potential fraud or risk with any other payment type? Isn't the game played out the same and risk assumed somewhere?

Thus far there is a lot of speculation about why USPS MO’s are not a safe transaction. Anyone here ever been duped by a fake USPS MO?
I have been using them for PB purchases and a few air gun purchases for years. I have never had a problem. I have seen a bit of speculation but never an actual account of someone receiving a forged one.

Thus far there is a lot of speculation about why USPS MO’s are not a safe transaction. Anyone here ever been duped by a fake USPS MO?
I have been using them for PB purchases and a few air gun purchases for years. I have never had a problem. I have seen a bit of speculation but never an actual account of someone receiving a forged one.
I’ve been accepting them for online sales for over twenty years and never had a fraudulent one sent to me.

these days it is not the payment i worry about it is the shipping damage . i will drive 3 or 4 hours and pick up in person . the last rile i got was very poorly wrapped and boxed . Advertised as securely wrapped and boxed , i could tip the box in any direction and hear the gun slid around .
Luck was with me and the gun was fine .

oledawg, So what type of payment do you take ? or suggest. I only do USPS M.O.'S or cash and if someone won't accept it no problem, I'm glad to give it to someone else :).
It is truly difficult. Obviously there are many members who have had no issues with USPS MO’s some who have caught the fraudsters. In the process which is awesome. This was just a reminder / warning that anything that can be printed can be manipulated into a fraudulent payment. When you see lots of people losing their hard earned money to fraudsters you become overly sensitive. I personally don’t sell many things but when I do I try to protect myself as best I can each transaction can have it’s own concerns.

Reactions: kayaker
these days it is not the payment i worry about it is the shipping damage . i will drive 3 or 4 hours and pick up in person . the last rile i got was very poorly wrapped and boxed . Advertised as securely wrapped and boxed , i could tip the box in any direction and hear the gun slid around .
Luck was with me and the gun was fine .
Good point

Simple just treat them like a check. No shipment until it clears. Just be up front that is how you treat them.
Unfortunately, the risk isn't over when it clears, if fraud is discovered later. With most money orders and official checks, the authenticity can be verified by calling the issuer. I've done that with banks, and I assume it can be done with USPS.

I don't see the problem, I never ship the gun or bow or anything else until I cashed the Money Order, so I see no problems really for the seller.