• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

use of a Rifle Sling

Thanks for that update Tom @Xbowsniper. That's a bummer, I've gotten used to the sling when sitting over that last couple years, it'll be an adjustment to give it up. I guess it's a case of a few folks stretching the rules and costing the rest of us.

Agree it's frustrating that the WFTF keeps waffling, when I first started I kept a link to the rules handy because more than one person wasn't aware it had been made legal again at that time.

Danny

I have been following rules for the worlds since 2000. If part of the process, you would see that since Sergio took over as president, his mission has been to clarify, simplify and solidify the rules. Before Sergio took over, it was not uncommon for a host country to ban or allow things that caused controversy. So the WFTF has not been waffling as much as they have been nailing things down and making rules less open to interpretation. To someone that has not been part of the process, this could be seen as waffling, especially if it affects the particular way a person shoots. Each refinement is proposed, debated and passed/denied by the majority of the WFTF governing bodies. One positive is that the number of rules or rule changes being proposed has dropped dramatically, so the process seems to be working.

The job of marshals and match directors is becoming easier as the rules solidify. In England 2019, I did not hear of any controversy and the match ran smoothly.

I exited USA Hunter Class because I got tired of spending time and money buying and customizing equipment only to have rule changes render my work invalid and my equipment obsolete and permanently disfigured. The contentious drama created was also bad for the sport of FT. Since then I have shot Open Class and WFTF. Seems like Open Class is the most stable rule wise with the least controversy. While I do not use a sling, in my opinion the recent rule against slings hurts some shooters while the rule change helps ZERO shooters. 

Will P.

I shot prone w/ a 1907 nylon web sling for years in open PCP. It was a good setup, very steady. BUT some courses like the PA Cup woods course had obstacles (i.e. tree roots, foliage) that could not be overcome from prone and I had to switch to the sitting position for those shots. Given that it was often only one target per lane I had to switch for, I found this to be very disruptive and ate up a lot of time. I would not even dream of using a sling for a springer.

I've since switched to a sitting position because I am transitioning to WFTF. I find it to be immensely more comfortable and I don't really give up much in terms of stability. The thing to remember is that FT matches are substantially longer than smallbore or high power matches and I found that the sling became uncomfortable later on in FT matches. I did not have that issue in CMP/3 position/high power.

More power to ya if you want to shoot prone with a sling. I enjoyed it and did fairly well for a while with that position.

Nico