• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Upgrading to Thermal Night Vision...Maybe?

Aloha All,

I was thinking about upgrading to thermal night vision, I have the ATN x-sight 4k and it works really good for what I hunt at night. My dilemma is should I upgrade to thermal to see all of the small things night vision can't see, I was looking at the ATN Thor 4 but I wanted to see if there are any recommendations on other thermal night vision out there that you have or used. Oh yeah, my budget is around $3500.00 but my wife said it doesn't mean I have to use all of it.

Aloha,

Keone

I have both IR night vision and thermal and both have good and bad points.

Thermal's drawback is you are trying to identify a blob sometimes as detail is poor at longer ranges (like 100 yards!) Know of a case where a pet dog was shot instead of the coyote he thought he was shooting because of poor detail

IR needs a bright light source and most clip ons are just too poor to use at long range. I know guys with two lights on their guns for shooting at 100 yards, another guy sets up a 12v car battery powered 6" IR spotlight to illuminate a 5 acre field.

Honestly, for what I've got invested in both systems, I could have bought a nice light amplification scopes, sigh.