• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning the FX Wildcat BT Compact 30 cal

The stock hammer will not open the valve adequately at 150bar. If you reduce the reg to 130, you will find that the speed increases to around 870-920 on level 7, depending on the hammer screw setting, as mentioned above.

Please note that you should not reduce reg pressure when the gun is pressurized. Please find a video explains how to change reg pressure!
That's my problem, I've been looking for videos on this gun to show you how to do all that. I can't find anything! My impact was easier to tune in this thing is!

That's my problem, I've been looking for videos on this gun to show you how to do all that. I can't find anything! My impact was easier to tune in this thing is!
Hi John,

First answer: the stock compact 30 BT will shoot 860-920 with 44.5 pellets using the standard silver hammer.

Then watch this video to get a handle on the tuning:

The video is for the non-BT version but the only diff is that it has only one reg. That’s fine because you shouldn’t need to adjust reg#1 on yours (that’s the one nearest the bottle). Everything else is the same.

To lower reg to 130: remove the bottle (CCW), dry fire until both regs read <100 bar. Turn the reg#2 screw 180 degrees CW. Put the bottle back on, fill to >200 bar if needed. Read the reg#2 pressure which should be below 130 after the adjustment. If still >130, repeat the above steps. Otherwise, increase it (safe to do without degassing) incrementally, dry firing 3x after each adjustment until you get it to 130. It doesn’t need to be spot on : 128-132 on the gauge will suffice.

Then tune the hammer as shown in the video to get it shooting at 95% of max speed on power setting 7. You can then click down to lower power levels, as suits your mood 😉

Reactions: SMH
Hi John,

First answer: the stock compact 30 BT will shoot 860-920 with 44.5 pellets using the standard silver hammer.

Then watch this video to get a handle on the tuning:

The video is for the non-BT version but the only diff is that it has only one reg. That’s fine because you shouldn’t need to adjust reg#1 on yours (that’s the one nearest the bottle). Everything else is the same.

To lower reg to 130: remove the bottle (CCW), dry fire until both regs read <100 bar. Turn the reg#2 screw 180 degrees CW. Put the bottle back on, fill to >200 bar if needed. Read the reg#2 pressure which should be below 130 after the adjustment. If still >130, repeat the above steps. Otherwise, increase it (safe to do without degassing) incrementally, dry firing 3x after each adjustment until you get it to 130. It doesn’t need to be spot on : 128-132 on the gauge will suffice.

Then tune the hammer as shown in the video to get it shooting at 95% of max speed on power setting 7. You can then click down to lower power levels, as suits your mood 😉
I just ordered a new crony so as soon as that comes in I'm going to sit down with my gun and the video and get this thing squared away! Thanks for the info I will let you know how it turns out.

Reactions: gendoc
No, just turn the power wheel down to 1 and now you will be shooting a slower speed.
I just ordered a new crony so as soon as that comes in I'm going to sit down with my gun and the video and get this thing squared away! Thanks for the info I will let you know how it turns out.
You don’t need to wait for the crony! If you get the reg pressure at 130 and the hammer maxed (as in the video), you can progressively reduce the hammer tension and listen to the shots. Around 1.5-2 turns CW from max, you’ll reach a spot when the gun suddenly get quieter and feels settled. That’s the sweet spot and “feeling” it out can be more useful than setting it by chrony speed. No doubt, you’ll chrony it later and find that it’s 860-890! IMHO, too many people focus on getting the magic crony number and end up with a loud bucking bronco. There’s something to be said for the old school method of finding the speed where the shooting cycle is comfortable, which tends (very much in the case of a compact 30 cal) to coincide with highest accuracy.

Finally, FWIW, given that you’ve tuned an impact, think of it this way:

Impact minor wheel = wildcat/maverick hex adjustment

Impact macro wheel = wildcat/maverick power wheel

The WC/maverick is simply an impact with less wheel settings and no valve adjustment to fiddle with.

You don’t need to wait for the crony! If you get the reg pressure at 130 and the hammer maxed (as in the video), you can progressively reduce the hammer tension and listen to the shots. Around 1.5-2 turns CW from max, you’ll reach a spot when the gun suddenly get quieter and feels settled. That’s the sweet spot and “feeling” it out can be more useful than setting it by chrony speed. No doubt, you’ll chrony it later and find that it’s 860-890! IMHO, too many people focus on getting the magic crony number and end up with a loud bucking bronco. There’s something to be said for the old school method of finding the speed where the shooting cycle is comfortable, which tends (very much in the case of a compact 30 cal) to coincide with highest accuracy.

Finally, FWIW, given that you’ve tuned an impact, think of it this way:

Impact minor wheel = wildcat/maverick hex adjustment

Impact macro wheel = wildcat/maverick power wheel

The WC/maverick is simply an impact with less wheel settings and no valve adjustment to fiddle with.
Okay I work nights so as soon as I get up I'm going to try messing with it. I have to send my impact back to FX for a new second regulator so I need something while that's gone.