• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Troll Attacks on the Rise

JoeWayneRhea

Apr 5, 2015
Seems like in almost every thread here there are a few Jerks who insist on stirring up things in a negative way ...I have messaged with Michael about different things and he seems to be a pretty good dude who knows a lot about airguns and has a good attitude and personality ..
Is it REALLY necessary that he has to step in so often because of these retards. ?? ..
Our over priced BB guns are a blast , and meeting others who enjoy them is great . Along with having access to guys who have shot and owned guns that peak your interest is what a good forum is all about .
Maybe if you don't have useful information ( First hand not what you heard ) you just skip on by . Go talk about something you may know about .... Not sure what the hell that is , but go for it ..... Leave the rest of us enjoy the sport and this forum . Thanks

Reactions: Gunnertrones
👍👍👍👍 great post Joe. I am relatively new to PCP guns, having grew up in the UK, and limited to 12ft Ib's on an Airgun. Now I live in MN since 1993, and did the IT technology job thing and now live here full time. I was off the leash when I moved here, and did a lot of powder burner stuff (and still do ) I even shot high power match across the course. I qualified as sharpshooter, but did not take it further.as family, job got in the way. I still reload, and do the "dark arts." When it comes to reloading, and target shooting. My job however, is full time telecommute, so there are opportunities to get back into shooting, that were not there before... The Airgun, has got me back on track with my priorities, and I haVe been able to target shoot, and hunt at the same time.... The pest control continues...

I hear ya joe. As I only own a couple brands of airgun, namely my AA and previously a marauder I try to reply on posts about those guns strictly. Other areas i will reply to are in target shooting or general tuning posts as the majority of airguns work the same way. I to can't stand keyboard experts/tuners with no firsthand experience. In most cases the tone of thier replies is enough to give them away. If not a few specific questions are enough to figure them out.

I can't say I'm not guilty of re-trolling them from time to time(having belonged to forums similar to the talon forum but a diff subject)old habits die hard. But I'm working on it.

I hope you guys have a great memorial day weekend, or whats left of it. Keep it in the ten ring. John Eroh.

Thanks Ernest but I think you have me mistaken with John in PA. I don't tune springers, or other peoples guns. I don't mind fiddling with my own air rifles as I use trial and error to get things working how I want them. Being as such I wouldn't want to take the chance of ruining another persons gun, and charge them for the work.

I've never understood the mentality of someone that derives pleasure from causing conflict. To me that's evil.

On the other hand... and this will only make sense to those that watch Game Of Thrones... it would be funny for someone to create a forum registration of John Snow, with his photo in the avatar, and then proceed to respond to questions with the most ridiculous answers proving for one and all that he, John Snow, does indeed "know nothing" or at least they're somewhat irrelevant. "Does anyone have a source for Dragon Glass or Valyrian steel pellets in .22?" But folks would know that's a fake account and never trust anything that person says. The problem with trolls is they pass themselves off as legit. 

Personal agendas never sat right with me it always gives off a stench of desperation. We're supposed to be having fun here and some people go a little over board. I definitely always give a certain gun a chance no matter what negative or positive things are said about it because in my experience most of the time the so called issues that get brought up and bashed into smithereens ends up being very isolated incidents that happen in a hand full of cases. Just like I'll be giving a certain gun I just purchased from one of our members here and tuned by another, I wasn't sure about it because I heard positive and negative but it will be here this week and I'm giving this one a shot, mostly because the previous owner is a trusted and respected member here and believe they only take good care of their guns oh and it was tuned by a certain magic airgun wizard we all know and love. I'll keep you guys posted until the mystery gun is here but back to the subject at hand " TROLLS SUCK Squirrel Nuts!!!!" 

Rocko the problem with that way to respond is that newbies come onto the air gun forums to get good information so they can make an informed decision on what gun to spend their hard earned money on. When you have people just stirring up crap without any good knowledge or information to back up what they are saying newbies might see their posts as valid, only seasoned air-gunners really know what posts to dismiss as just hot air and with nothing valid contained in the post.It would be nice to see these people getting banned from the forums as the trouble makers they are. If you have a valid opinion with good information to back it up then by all means post your opinion, but please do not make posts that try and make those opinions look like facts, some of the new guns being brought in from other countries are excellent value and are great shooting guns, I know because I have handled quite a few of them and have been really impressed by their quality and accuracy. So if it is attention they want, give it to them by banning them or at least give them warnings about how they interact on the forums. I do not like to see anyone banned, but I also dislike people just posting threads to cause trouble and trash makers because of an agenda only known to the person making the post. It is a shame that this goes on but I have seen it on every air gun forum I have belonged to. Maybe members could also start to use the accuracy options below the posters name, if these people get nothing but negative accuracy remarks left it will show to anyone reading the persons post that the individual has very little knowledge of air guns! All the best, Neil.

"TKA87"I definitely always give a certain gun a chance no matter what negative or positive things are said about it because in my experience most of the time the so called issues that get brought up and bashed into smithereens ends up being very isolated incidents that happen in a hand full of cases.
You know it's kinda funny when the trolls come into discussions offering "advice" about certain guns, that they have "found" elsewhere it's always only the negatives that "they" have found............that's kinda how you can easily pick them out.

Guys one of the moderators has the best idea . When you see trolls doing their thing flag it with a negative . The moderators see this and they will do something about their negative crap .
I know Michael has commented that only like 15% of the people that join a forum jump in on discussions , but if there are less buttholes jumping down their throats I bet that will change .
Let's not let the negative dudes have the loudest voice .Neil , Ernest , and several others that are active here have an incredible amount of stuff to share . Let those guys have the loudest voice :)

As NeilClague (edit: and JoeWayneRhea) has stated - One of the best ways to deal with individuals such as "trolls," is to use the accuracy system and flag posts.
The accuracy system is here to show all members and readers that an individual has a pattern of posting inaccurate information.
The flagging system will alert the Mods to issues that need (or may need) our attention. When we get multiple flags on the same post (or regarding the same individual) it is a clear sign that something needs our attention. 
That's one of the things I like about the way this forum is set up. It's not just the Mods running the show, the members have a voice in what happens here as well. 
As far as banning is concerned - Unfortunately, these people have to act out in order to draw attention to themselves. We would prefer to not ban people if possible, but rather to see them grow out of their detrimental ways and share their experiences and become constructive, respectful, contributing members of this forum. There are ways to disagree with one another while remaining respectful. There are also ways to voice opinions without having it seem like you're shoving it down everyones throat. 
One more thing on the accuracy system - Don't forget to give positive accuracy to those that you feel deserve it! It gives credibility and is a lasting way to let someone know that you've appreciated what they've said, how they've said it, or that you've learned from them. :)
Thank you,
Mod2

Reactions: 30cal
Mod 2 I totally agree with you on banning, it should be a last resort, but if these trolls continue to cause disharmony on the forums after members leave negative remarks for them surely it would be in the best interests of the good forum members to weed out the bad apples. Sure, give them every chance to reform their ways, but watching -posts on other forums it looks like there are some people who frequent air gun forums, just to cause disharmony and arguments and continue to do so until they get kicked off, they then move on to another forum and do the same thing! It is a real shame because I think we have some truly wonderful guys in the air gun hobby/sport, shame some feel they have to spoil it for the rest of us, Neil.

Reactions: BLADE
Joe, I am glad you started this thread. I have been busy with projects and not as active as I normally am on the forums. However, I still read daily and this needed to be brought up!! I try to flag and leave negatives for the trolls and troublemakers. It will never go away, but using the flagging system and negative accuracy does work. Michael has been a stand up guy and I have pm ed him many times about issues. He takes care of what gets brought to his attention.

Everyone that has engaged in this thread are all active members and great members as well. If those of use that care to keep a good forum use the system that is in place and pm Moderators with issues we can police the idiots right out of here.

Happy Memorial Day to all and a special thanks to all of my fellow veterans!!

Mod2 pretty much summed up how I feel. But I would like to add that trolls come in many forms. Many of which are sent here from other forums to promote their products. The same forums that encourage trash talking about us, our sponsors & their products. We try to give everyone a fair shake, but repeat offenders or obvious promoters will not be tolerated.

We have some pretty effective tools in place like the Accuracy & Flagging systems, but if you have any other suggestions we have open ears.

We hope you enjoy your Holiday. 

Joe....do you see what you started and stirred up with this thread???!!! :) (kidding)

I think members are pretty good at calling out some of the outrageous claims or misrepresentations on this forum. Most often good products rise to the top on their own, and you can separate bad products even if they are "promoted" by the trolls. As with any major purchase...one should do some research, questioning, and polling here and elsewhere on the net and try to weed out "drive-by" opinions from opinions based on facts and experience. The accuracy system certainly helps with that, but it does not always mean you are an expert (i.e. I'm far from being an expert). Most of us are still learning...and will always be learning...but keep passing on to each other our niche, or what we've already learned. 

Happy Memorial Day to all the Vets!

I agree that the trolls need to be pointed out. There is no need to down grade a manufacturer, gun, or person. This community is usually a good source for information and sound advice most of the time. These people will end up making the forum into one of the reasons I don't stay with some due to the bickering or so called experts.... Point them out with flagging and let the community see the trolls for what they are........

Oh yeah, here is where the trolls belong.....in a tree!
Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com
Copyright Paul's Custom Targets