Time of Day

They seem most active 3 hours after dawn and 3 hours before dusk.

For me, the best time is anytime they are awake if they are being a nuisance.

imagejpeg
1539ad7982d682920c0d8133db619802.jpg

Here in SE N.C. The gray squirrel is the only squirrel in this area .The most active times are first light till ten o'clock or so and a hour or so before sun down till dark.That being said there are a lot of things that can change their patterns .The size of the mast crop if it is larger than usual will decrease the time needed for feeding if it is small they will be more active longer.Cold fronts coming through will cause them to get a early start.Predators will affect their activities.I was deer hunting a block of land .I would go to the stand about two thirty and would disturb many of them going into the woods.About three thirty they would disappear.About four o'clock a family of horned owls would starting hooting to one another.One afternoon a rambunctious male squirrel set on the side of a tree telling the whole world I was there and a horned owl picked him off the tree for supper.It was about four o'clock.That explained the mid day squirrel activity.I assume that by Your question that You are a new hunter.Thes e things I mentioned would be a guideline for My area.But the best advice that I would give would be to spend time in the area You intend to hunt and observe the squirrel movements and establish the best possible times to hunt under various conditions.