This is too basic for this audience, but ......

"unionrdr"I thought the idea behind these videos was a good one. Some think showing the high-end PCP's and what's hunted with them as a bit high-brow, out of the average hunter's league, add infinitum. I say you pretty much have too, since the big bore air rifles are basically all PCP's. That said, I could handily kill a turkey with either of my springer's at up to 540 yards or more. Even with My Winchester 1400cs .177 with the right pellet. Between chronograph tests and the local indoor range, I'll prove which pellets are best for a given job in a given rifle. Following in your footshtops, of course. ;)
​ If enough of us bare out this which rifle/pellet for which game sort of information, not only will the beginners/newbies be able to make better choices, but states will have the info they need to make better law decisions as well.
Hi; As far as being highbrow not sure what the yard stick is there. Compared to many hobbies, even the highest priced PCP's don't touch the cash outlay: what people pay for boats, bikes, golf clubs, scuba gear, ultralights, ATV, etc. My other sporting interest is kayak fishing, and I have more $$$ in my kayak than any airgun in my collection. As far as the animals I hunt, I am going to South Africa in June and will spend about $6k all up (including airfare) for several days and several animals.... consider that against how many guys spend 2x- 5X that for elk, moose, bear, exotics, etc .... I'd say most of the hunts I propose, or at least many, could be afforded by most people.

I'm taking it that your reference to turkey hunting with your springer, you meant to say up to 40 yards right? If not I want to buy that springer!
Save

Oops, had to edit that post. I meant to say 50 yards. Even though it seems like about half that is more common if turkey air rifle hunting videos are to be believed. And I really do think folks sell the .177 calibers short. You just have to use the high-powered ones to start with. I believe Velocity goes hand in hand with FPE @ POI. Power in this case is a function of velocity in my mind. Now that I have my new left hip since three weeks ago, I'm already walkin' pretty good. got tired of chairs for the last 10 years. Should be ready to walk unassisted by next season. I just wish the air rifle hunting laws here in Ohio would improve about then.

I knew you meant 40 or 50, but I had a laugh.... I have hunted a lot with.177's and modestly priced springers over the years. I went through a period in the late 90's early 2000's of buying and tuning/modifying Chinese springers, and hunted them a lot as well. There is no reason to let lack of an airgun stop a person from airgun hunting, it doesn't need to cost a fortune. I haven't had to get my hip done yet, but after 40 years of martial arts my time will come.... hope you're up and hunting soon!
Jim

Yeah, I guess it was rather amusing at that. 540 yards?! OORAH! ;) I'm just itching to get these rifles sighted in, broke in, finish my various pellet tests in time to put'em to the final, ultimate test. If for nothing else, to either prove or disprove my theories thus far. I've got my Crosman 160 variant one 500FPS .22 up to 650 so far. Fix one more intermittent leak, and maybe I'll see 675FPS? That'll make a nice, light small game hunter. Hoping the Beeman Silver Bears @ 12.65gr will dump most or all of their FPE @ POI out of it.

"BeachGunner"Excellent Jim. Many people don't even know about air gun hunting and equate it with the BB gun of their childhood.
Thanks. I think the more we get the word out there, the more opportunities we'll have to hunt with our airguns. If you look back at the gains over the last decade, we've come a long way, and it goes hand in hand with the increasing visibility of the sport.