• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

This debate about high end PCP vs Economy PCP - my perspective

I know this topic wasn't about the Mrod but here's my experience. This is the only gun I trust to be my backup rifle if my FX rifle fails during a hunt trip. When I've driven 2-4 hours to go hunting. It's reassuring to know that I can reseal the whole gun in less than 20 mins with some orings and allen wrenches. Parts are usually in stock with only $4.00 flat shipping no matter what you order. 

350€ gets you a .22 that can print one hole groups at 50 meters no problem. Sure the trigger will have creep. Cocking is normal pull the bolt and its possible to double load.
Positive things, the magazines are great. The barrel is top notch. Very low curve and low deviation between shots. 

still... 350€. Talking about any of the Gamo/Bsa Coyote versions. 

Theres really no need to tinker unless you really want to. 

Deja,
​I would be the last to besmirch either the Coyote or the Maximus. They are doing amazing things with the value priced PCP rifles these days. They are a great example of the distillation of knowledge occurring these days. A bone stock Maximus will throw out 15-17 shots above 850 FPS with 14.66 grain pellet (24 FPE), while using only a small 2000 PSI air tube. The Coyote in a .177 has an amazingly long shot string. 

I'm getting sub 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with my .22 Marauder and the only thing I've done to it is installed a Marmot Militia barrel. Everything else is stock. I was able to tune it to shoot 30 ftlbs of energy for 30 shots with a 19 fps spread (no regulator). I've also tuned it to shoot 32 ftlbs for 20 shots with a 20 fps spread. Both tunes slap down sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Total cost of the rifle and barrel is under $750. 

"addertooth"Deja,
A bone stock Maximus will throw out 15-17 shots above 850 FPS with 14.66 grain pellet (24 FPE), while using only a small 2000 PSI air tube.
Yea thats crazy low fill pressure . only 137 bar. I think my vulcan fall off its reg at 140? or was it 150. :D
That fill pressure is about the only thing the maximus have on the Gamo rifles. Well maybe trigger also? I have no clue on how it is.

I just found the new smaller chacal for 260€. https://www.carabinasypistolas.com/en/gamo_chacal_pcp_air_rifle.php
Thats less than I payed for my hw30s..... 

Insane value, to bad Im not starting out with airguns now.

"Helimech"I'm getting sub 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with my .22 Marauder and the only thing I've done to it is installed a Marmot Militia barrel. Everything else is stock. I was able to tune it to shoot 30 ftlbs of energy for 30 shots with a 19 fps spread (no regulator). I've also tuned it to shoot 32 ftlbs for 20 shots with a 20 fps spread. Both tunes slap down sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Total cost of the rifle and barrel is under $750.
that's Awesome! I also have the MM barrel. I had a lot more difficulty with tuning mine so I had to add a HUMA and I let Scott do the final tuning, Mine is shooting at 880 fps with the 15 gr JSB's at around 28 FPE. Getting 4 full magazines or 40 shots. With all that I did, I am just under a grand (including the tune). This rifle is capable of shooting 1/4 in. groups at 50 yards. The trigger is actually very nice.

"addertooth"NMshooter,
​That is freakishly amazing accuracy. I can't even *aim* that precisely if I was duct taped to the shooting bench with a 100 pound sandbag stabilizing me ;)
Of course I couldn't replicate this every time, but 10 shots shows the gun's performance. Most of the time when I shoot paper I have a great group going then i start over concentrating or trying too hard and end up throwing a pellet off target.

I think Dairyboy has shot a better group than I have with his Marauder. Last summer, My .22 Marauder had been extremely consistent and I would usually shoot 1-2 5-shot groups around the .2 in range (out of 10 groups). Most of my groups (when I was focus regarding the wind) were dime groups. It was not uncommon to stack 3-4 pellets when the wind was calm. I do not sort or weigh pellets. I may be considering this next time I compete. My .22 shoots the 15 gr JSB's the best and is most accurate under 65 yards. At 75 yards my .22 Cricket Carbine shooting the 18 gr JSB has a slight edge. At 50 yards these two rifles are equal. The Cricket has a little bit more power and shoots the heavier pellet. At 25 meters, the Marauder is a better shooter.

Norm- not sure why I don't shoot 10 shot groups. I guess I like to see impact of the pellet. I almost prefer the practice target of 25 meters (with 25 bullseyes) than to shoot at the same spot 10 times in a row just to prove a point. Is there really a difference between 2 5-shot dime size groups (shot back to back) compared to a 1 10--shot dime sized group? Not trying to be a smartass. I usually only shoot at 50 yards (end of my property). I can see maybe at 75 yards and above this might be beneficial. But then it's the shooter's skill and not necessarily a measure of the rifle.

"NMshooter"Norm- not sure why I don't shoot 10 shot groups. I guess I like to see impact of the pellet. I almost prefer the practice target of 25 meters (with 25 bullseyes) than to shoot at the same spot 10 times in a row just to prove a point. Is there really a difference between 2 5-shot dime size groups (shot back to back) compared to a 1 10--shot dime sized group? Not trying to be a smartass. I usually only shoot at 50 yards (end of my property). I can see maybe at 75 yards and above this might be beneficial. But then it's the shooter's skill and not necessarily a measure of the rifle.
I really wasn't trying to prove a point. I was shooting to gauge the wind. After 5 shots I just kept shooting the group to see how it would result.

Looks like mine was oh so slightly bigger. 50yds and 5 shots I did this in prone position outside with nothing but a bipod no bag or anything else and unsorted pellets. What was annoying was 4 pellets went into the same damn hole my 4th shot went a tiny bit off from the others but nonetheless couldn't complain about that accuracy. Do miss that gun

Norm- You know what guys say, "it's not a real group unless it's 10 shots". I have shot both 10 and 5 shots but most of my shooting is at 50 yards. For me, the group doesn't open up that much more. At 75 and above, I can see that my groups would/could open up. But at that distance, there are a lot of factors that could come in to play, like me the shooter not reading the wind. It really is not a reflection on the rifle. 
For me, I am still amazed at the accuracy of these rifles. If a guy posts a great 5 shot group, all I'm saying is give him a pat on the back, that's what he's wanting from us. Remember, if he shows his wife, she says........ that's nice, now quit messing around and help around the house. I actually worked all summer for that group and finally broke .2 in. Because it's not 10 shots, does that make it "not special". When I measured it I was hoop hollering. Showed my wife and again she said get back to work. so that's why we post on the forum for guys like us to appreciate it. I am still relatively new to pcps so My enthusiasm is still quite high. Never really shot a rifle before 2 years ago. So when Dairyboy shoots a .214 in prone with a bipod (with a Marauder), I think that's friggin great and I don't think it's right for someone to say ....well shoot 5 more and we'll talk. That what i was driving at.
Sorry to get off topic

The real surprise for me was the pellets. In the original post I explained that the place I shoot is in a depression surrounded by 3 hills which cause a lot of swirling winds when it's windy. On this particular day it was very windy. The first group was with 18 gr JSB pellets. Since I still wanted to shoot but didn't want to waste a lot of my higher priced pellets I switched over to the crosman premier ultra magnum (CPUM) domed pellets from the metal tin from walmart online. The 2nd group was me adjusting my scope because the POI in the pellets are different. The 3rd group was testing my POI in the wind with the CPUM domes to check their POI. So I shot 10 shots to confirm they were on target.

"blackdiesel"
"addertooth"NMshooter,
​That is freakishly amazing accuracy. I can't even *aim* that precisely if I was duct taped to the shooting bench with a 100 pound sandbag stabilizing me ;)
Of course I couldn't replicate this every time, but 10 shots shows the gun's performance. Most of the time when I shoot paper I have a great group going then i start over concentrating or trying too hard and end up throwing a pellet off target.

I agree on the 10 shots being a better gauge of the guns capabilities. How about a 33 shot group at 51.5 yards?